Riding outside again

May 21, 2013 | |

So here I am a bit past 12 weeks since surgery. I continue to do many of the exercises I learned at PT, focusing on balance and strength. I learned that trying the wiggle board and other balance “toys” at PT that I really don’t have good balance…not just on my injured leg but on my good side as well! I’m trying to focus on doing my balance exercises for both legs now. Maybe it will help me reduce chance for injuries in the future? I hope so!

I wrote in my last post that I was getting myself ready to ride outside, and have done so successfully on three occasions. The first bike ride was a functional one: to my weekly PT appointment. I left the clipless pedals off and rode on the platform. It was so nice moving on a bike again OUTSIDE as opposed to being strapped to the trainer. This was right around 11 weeks and my strength was not as good as it is now, so making stops at intersections and getting going again was a bit tricky. This past Sunday (so right at 12 weeks) I went on a more adventurous ride over the hills in Portland to the zoo. From my house the total ride was only about 9 miles but involved about 900ft of climbing through the ride. Definitely noticed the low power output from my right leg so I had to compensate with my left, but I made it up and over and back again without issues. I also wished my bike had a front┬áderailleur so I could shift down a bit (my bike is setup 1×10 which was perfect before), but I gutted through the ride especially when the grades topped 10%.┬áThe next day I noticed how much looser my tendon was, which speaks to the importance of “pushing” it a bit at least for me and my recovery!

Over the last week I’ve also been doing a lot of walking with my 10mo old daughter strapped to the front of me (weight training?). We go for ~2mi walks as time permits, and multiple times on the weekends. Again, concentrating on push off and normal gait has been very helpful.

Going to try posting when something “new” happens…I’m sure they are going to come at a slower pace now but I’m happy with progress so far and know that I’ll keep on getting better.

Comments

10 Comments so far

1. kellygirl on May 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Sounds like you are doing great! How exciting to ride outside :) I’m looking forward to getting on my spin bike one of these days. Keep up the good work. Your experience is very encouraging!

2. eyechilles on June 5, 2013 9:28 am

Hey Yak,

Haven’t heard from you a while. How are things going? Hope all is well man and that life is almost back to normal!

3. yakswak on June 5, 2013 9:44 am

Eyechilles,

Things are going well…just increasing riding distance and elevation gains per ride on a weekly basis. It’s pretty awesome to be riding out in the forest again…granted it’s just gravel roads but it’s better than being on the road and almost as good as being on trails. I’d go mountain biking but the injury is not what’s holding me back…I have to drive about 45min out of Portland for any decent riding so it’s tough with the baby around.

Oh, and I noticed that I can heel-toe again without over or under revving the engine. When I first started driving it was just enough to press on the gas/brake pedals but I can control the foot roll needed for rev matching during downshifts while braking. I think you said you drive a manual so I thought you’d appreciate that bit of news :)

How are things with you??

4. lodinpdx on June 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Riding outside? In Portland? I am very jealous as I have been on my spin bike in my garage in Portland. I am really a runner but every summer I ease off on the running and RIDE here in POrtland and in Bend. I thought it would be months before I rode outside - and then the rain would be here and well I’m not a fan of riding in the rain!

12 weeks…. gives me hope!

5. yakswak on June 28, 2013 6:51 pm

How far along are you? I was up to doing about 25mi rides. But recently I may have started pushing too hard for my current condition. Did some 5+hr hikes in Eastern Oregon near Joseph and after I had pain in another part of the ankle. Looks like I have posterior tibial tendinitis. So now I’m back to taking it a bit easy again to rest this tendon and the little muscle I was overworking. Oh well! I can still ride but wear an orthotic now. Lesson learned for me!

6. lodinpdx on June 28, 2013 7:04 pm

I am 5 weeks and 1 day post op. I am in a Bledsoe boot and am full weight bearing but really I’ld call it hobbling! It is my right foot so I can not drive and just sick of it all. I can get on my spin bike for 30-40 minutes and the my foot starts throbbing. This is all so frustrating as I am usually very active, very busy and rarely home. I am a runner and did this to myself running - I think it will be a longtime before I can run again so that is depressing.

I am definitely worried about this injury causing other injuries as I come back. I have had too many injuries so I know that if you start doing something when your body is not ready it will compensate and cause something else. I actually think that is why this happened to me as my left leg often bugs me never my right so naturally this happened to my overtaxed right leg!

Where/who did your surgery and where do you go for PT. I have gone to a PT for many years for my many ailments so I will most likely go to het unless my dr wants me to go to theirs. I had my done at Oregon Sports Medicine and that have quite the set up!

7. yakswak on June 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Hmm, I really can’t remember the name of the place. There are at least 3 places in the Portland area that sounds like “Oregon Sports Medicine” and mine is one of them.

It sounds like you are set on your PT!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Post boot gets much better. No one can tell I’m injured now…and if I didn’t have this tendinitis to deal with I’d be going for jogs (not a run yet) right now. When I read that one of the treatment options for PTT is to wear a boot I got serious about taking it easy so this tendon flare can die down. I don’t want to go back into a boot! By the way I’m at 18wks; PTT diagnosed about a week ago. Take it easy!

8. Ripraproar on June 29, 2013 1:25 am

Lod
    Doing 30 mins on spin at ur stage is fantastic, my theory is on road to recovery taking things slowly in gym gives you time to connect each part of the body, for instance pre injury , I would go to gym work a dumbbell like mad then go on treadmill run lie mad, not really doing my other body parts any favours , now I am forced to take things slower so I concentrate on all muscle groups

9. lodinpdx on June 29, 2013 10:49 am

Rip,

As I said I am just a runner but over the many years and many injuries have learned in order to run you must pay the toll! As in you HAVE to so core work, stretching and what not in order to stay somewhat injury free. I am thankful to be able to do 30 minutes but have to keep the resistance and cadence slow.

10. lodinpdx on June 29, 2013 10:53 am

Yakswak,

Yes pretty set on PT and have access to a pool. I hate the pool really unless I am hot and want to take a little dip to cool off. BUT I think sooooon I will get to pool run and do some exercises in the water. Oh I can not wait to JOG!!!

Thanks for the update and oh yes I HATE the boot as well. Do all you can do to avoid the BOOT!

Has your baby walked yet? :)

Name (required)