11 weeks! Keeping the focus

May 11, 2013 | |

Hello! I’m continuing to improve…almost no limp when walking, walking downstairs like a champ (reference Norm’s method), and doing a lot of strengthening exercises and flexibility exercises on the bad leg. Starting to do calf raises on the weight machines at PT and doing single leg squats to increase flexibility and strength. Also simulates waking on stairs “normally” by getting a bit of DF by lots of knee bending.

Also working on the bike at home. Regularly panting and working up a huge sweat and now using my clipless pedals on both feet. Trying to simulate clipping in and out at virtual “stops” to practice for when I’m ready to venture outside. Just as an aside I converted my Cyclocross bike into a flat bar bike using some flat CF bar from Easton and Shimano trigger shifters that are compatible with road components. I never got along with drops although I’ve owned road bikes for over 10 years…always felt more comfortable on my mountain bikes. Figured it will help my transition to the road anyway.

Finally getting moving on my feet a lot these days to strengthen the legs. Went on a short hike yesterday on trails for about an hour (3mi). Uphill and downhill was great and I had my wife for support just in case (great supportive beautiful wife and we were celebrating our fifth year anniversary yesterday).

The key here though is extra precaution and keeping myself mindful of being careful. I still use a chair in the bathroom to change. Keeping stools and chairs around the house for balance. Railings on stairways. Reading about re rupture at week 11 makes it too real of a possibility and keeps me focused. I like getting better and am pushing myself in PT and exercising at home but I’d hate to be back to where I was 3 months ago! It’s strange how normal I am now but somehow NOT normal… To everyone out there, keep on healing, and have a safe and enjoyable Mother’s Day tomorrow! Call your mom!!

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. kellygirl on May 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Sounds like your recovery is going well. I need a translation for the bike portion of your narrative but I figure the gist is you are riding a stationary bike with great aplomb! I’m weeks (or ages) away from where you are now but you give me hope. Thanks for posting :D

2. yakswak on May 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey Kelly

Yes, I’ve got an indoor trainer and have been riding on it since the boot stage. I had to back off a tiny bit once I started riding without the boot a few weeks ago but built up quickly to hammering again. It feels great and gets the blood flowing to the achilles which lets me do my other strengthening exercises more effectively.

3. kellygirl on May 12, 2013 12:06 pm

By boot stage do you mean PWB? I’m looking forward to a little activity–I’m hoping that I can get on my spin bike soon. It’s an old Johnny G but it still works great.

4. yakswak on May 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Yes, PWB. Almost no pressure in the beginning but slowly increased as I felt comfortable with it.

5. eyechilles on May 14, 2013 10:27 am

Yak-

I’m excited to hear about your progress and hope to follow in your footsteps (pun intended). Even though we generally have the same timeline, I am only now getting more comfortable in two shoes and just now starting strengthening exercises at PT since this is finally week 12. I still walk slow and with a limp but am seeing progress so its been refreshing. I’m now on the green theraband and finally doing balance exercises. Thanks for sharing your progress and keep up the focus and good work!

6. yakswak on May 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Eyechilles,

Good to hear from you! It really is strange to think how normal it feels now. Just tight in the morning when I get up, but better once I take a few steps and stretch a bit.

Happy healing!