Jan 28 2009

wilddog

Boot and therapy

Posted at 6:43 pm under Uncategorized

It has been quite awhile since I have posted.  Since then I have gotten out of the cast and into the boot.  That didn’t go well at the beginning, as there was quite a bit of pain involved with going weight bearing in the boot and the boot itself seemed to hurt more than the actual scar, but  doing much better now.  I have been having PT twice a week.   Right now my therapy is just walking back and forth in the pool and some stretching in the pool as well.   Amazing how the simple fact of walking can feel so good!   I keep trying to push the therapists to let me do more but the doctor is really strict, and very conservative.  And it does seem like everything I do, besides the pool therapy, makes my ankle swell up.   The therapists are all amazed out how good the scar looks.  You can barely even tell I had surgery!  I am just 3 degrees away from getting to do land therapy and get into shoes.  They did tell me that when I go into shoes I will have to go back onto crutches for a week or so.  thanks to everyone who has been posting.  I have shared our blogsite with my therapists and they are all following us as well (and picking up some good pointers along the way).

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Boot and therapy”

1. netengon 28 Jan 2009 at 8:34 pm 1

I had my surgery on 12/2/2008 and am a couple hundred miles northeast of you in south-central WI. I never got a boot but am in a walking cast that has allowed me to be FWB without crutches for the last couple weeks. I go into two shows with a 3/4″ heel lift next Tuesday (9 weeks post-op). The plan is to reduce the lifts by a quarter inch each month so after 3 months I will be done with them.

The walking cast is allowing me to get around without crutches but things will be different in shoes. My doctor also said I might need crutches for a bit when I go into shoes. I am concerned about lateral support in shoes to prevent rolling an ankle or worse. I am looking at ordering an Achillotrain once I get this cast off and can measure my ankle.

Great to hear your scar looks good. Mine hasn’t looked to good when I have seen it between casts. Sorry to hear the boot was so uncomfortable. At least you can take a boot off. I can’t wait for my final cast to be removed as my leg hasn’t experienced freedom in 9 weeks. Good luck - keep us posted.

2. alan weisson 28 Jan 2009 at 11:35 pm 2

I highly recommend the AchilloTrain. I went in for my six week post-op and the doc let me get rid of the walking boot and go two-shoes with the AchilloTrain. It comes with an insert and provides ankle stability as well as compression around the repaired tendon. It comes with a lift that you slide in under your good foot so you are walking level. I’m now at week nine and still wearing the AT, although now I am walking at times without it.

Best of luck,

nomada

3. lee morganon 29 Jan 2009 at 3:59 pm 3

I had my surgery on nov 1st 08. I have had a few problems with my recovery. I went from a plaster cast to a boot. I found it really uncomfortable to. I slipped on a wet floor and put my full weight on my leg. The scar opened and i lost quite a lot of blood. I had to go back into hospital for 3 days in case infection set in. They have re-set my boot to restrict the movement. Its baffled the doctors. It seems that they set the boot wrong but obviously they want admit that. Thats the NHS in the UK for you!!!

4. wilddogon 29 Jan 2009 at 6:09 pm 4

I am intrigued by what you mean the have to “re-set” your boot. My boot has only one setting although it does have an air bladder that you can blow up to make it a little more comfortable. (it didn’t) Sound terrible about your wound opening up! That had to really hurt I bet as well. Doctors are doctors whether in the UK or the USA. They rarely ever admit to doing anything wrong! I must say I am lucky though. The nurses at the hospital told us he was by far and away the best around, and since I have had absolutely no pain, and my scar is barely even noticable I have to agree. Keep the faith Lee! We will all get better.

5. 90daytrickon 29 Jan 2009 at 7:19 pm 5

So Wilddog, please share what you did to minimize your scarring?

6. wilddogon 30 Jan 2009 at 4:50 am 6

I didn’t do anything. When it came out of the fiberglass cast the skin was all scaley. Once I got that loofa’d off, there was barely a scar visible. I think my surgeon must be part plastic surgeon. (for what it cost he should be!!!)

7. Craigon 03 Feb 2009 at 6:46 pm 7

I just got rid of my cast. The boot seems to be comfortable so far. It’s really nice to be able to walk. I will continue to use the knee walker a friend loaned me for longer distances. Wonderfull piece of equipment. I pitched the crutches as soon as I got it. I have had minimal pain. Took a couple if advil right after they operated on it, but nothing since. I sure hope my recovery continues to go as well. Ripped it skiing the weekend before Xmas. The doc says he’ll have me on skis this season. Not sure about that.