Still a teeny swollen at the end of the day on the left.

Still a teeny swollen at the end of the day on the left.

Today’s the 8 week mark!  Whoa, it’s been a quick ride to this point, I have to say.  When I allowed myself to live with the moment and not worry too much about what I was giving up by being injured and focused on recovery, the time really flew by.  I know I’ve got miles to go before I sleep…

I have a bone to pick with David Graston.  I’m sorry that he suffered a bunch of ligament injuries but I hate him for developing his tools and making them popular.  Oh thy tools of torture and pain and swear-making!!!  I better not get an iota of adhesion left after this Graston technique, lemme tell ya, my peeps.   Seriously, my PT approached me and was like, “Say heh-lo to ma little fren,” brandishing that deadliest of soft tissue weapons.

So, I started walking in two shoes!!!!  *cartwheel*  Yeah, baby!  I’m to walk liberally around the house and do these weight-shifting exercises, all on top of the calf stretches, the bike pedaling, the Theraband exercises….it’s added up to like an hour or more a day - without breaking a sweat.  It’s just wrong!  I yearn for sweat like I yearn for reaching the finish line at the San Francisco Marathon next year…

2010, you’re right around the corner.  I’m gunnin’ for ya.

Comments

12 Comments so far

1. Smish on July 29, 2009 5:26 AM

Trisportgirl: I had Graston. It actually helped me a lot. I agree though the treatments are brutal and the bruises are barbarian but I did notice a difference after it was done. Are you noticing that it helps your mobility?

2. chuckv on July 29, 2009 10:11 AM

Hi. Who gave you the two shoe go-ahead, the PT or your doc? I keep trying to sneak out of PT with my shoes on and he says, “What are you doing?” You can’t blame me for trying.

Congratulations.

PS My PT says deep tissue massage next week. You are scaring me with this steel tool talk.

3. gailaj on July 29, 2009 2:46 PM

Congratulations on two shoes! You are on your way, you will be breaking a sweat in no time!

4. trisportgirl on July 29, 2009 4:46 PM

Smish, I definitely felt a HUGE difference after Graston. I can totally tell that adhesions are breaking up and the tightness that I felt around my ankle subsiding little by little. But I guess it’s all a part of hurting to heal. This, I’ve resigned myself to and am okay with it. To a point, that is…

Chuckv and gailaj, thanks for the congrats! gailaj, I hope to be where you are, running in no time and miles at a time.

Chuckv, my PT is following my surgeon’s protocol. So, I guess it’s kind of the both of them in a way. My PT knows that my doc is agressive, so she’s agressive with me within limits of how she knows I’m progressing. She’ll say, you’re supposed to be *here* so we want to get you *there*, and then act accordingly. Although I had initial reservations regarding her youth and greenness, she’s a good fit for me as a patient and I trust her judgment.

Be afraid, Chuck, be VERY afraid of the Graston. No, I’M KIDDING! It really does help immensely, but it really does hurt when they’re rubbing it in there nice and good.

5. dopeylawyr on August 1, 2009 1:20 PM

Congrats on coming soooo far so fast….my doc still has me in a cast :-(

6. trisportgirl on August 1, 2009 10:57 PM

Dopey! Nice to see you come out of hiding for a little peek. Look at it this way - you in a cast is almost over, and you got this far. Do you know when you start PT?

7. Crestonc on August 3, 2009 8:01 PM

Thanks for your comments and encouragement on my page. I’m glad to see you are making great progress. Who does your PT in SF? I had surgery at St Francis with Dr. Prieto (Great) and will probably do PT with Dr. Blake.

8. swill on August 4, 2009 11:46 AM

Ohhhh the “graston” is it? Hmmm, haven’t been introduced to that contraption yet. Interesting. I’ll bring it up at PT today, or will I? mmmwahaha ;-)

Congrats on Two Shoes! I’m right there with ya. Although my frankenstein walk is making my knee hurt a bit. Oh well…it’s all part of it I suppose.

BTW - I have the SAME shoes. Are those the Asics Gel Nimbus? Love them. On and your ankle doesn’t look too bad.

-Shay

9. trisportgirl on August 4, 2009 7:57 PM

Shay,

Don’t do it…don’t DO it! Seriously, I asked my PT for a leather strap today to put between my teeth. Although, at my 9-week followup appt yesterday with my surgeon, he commmented on how nicely my tendon was “contouring” instead of getting thick. When I shared that juicy tidbit today, my PT took all the credit - she positively beamed, saying, “See? It’s all because of the Graston Evil!”

You have the same shoes!!! That’s awesome. I’m actually getting ready to buy my second pair - they’re so great, aren’t they? Perfect for my practically flat feet.

10. hoss on August 5, 2009 8:29 PM

Congrats and you will get that marathon done in 2010. I will await that post.

11. Pt Health Graston Technique on August 31, 2010 2:02 AM

Congrats to you, you are now physically ready for your marathon. Graston Technique really help you on your health problems. It really Considered a natural solution to treating chronic pain. Effective therapy for a variety of painful conditions and injuries. Helps treat the root cause of your health problems

12. Tyler Graston on November 5, 2011 6:10 PM