Aug 21 2013

6 Month Mark “already”!

Published by trin74 at 7:12 AM under 6 Month Mark

Well - I hit the 6 month mark today. It’s hard to believe that half a year has passed since I first ruptured my achilles. I remember thinking how far off the 6 month mark was, and how it felt it would take forever to get here, and then you start weight bearing, the boot comes off, you progress in 2 shoes… and suddenly you’re there. I definitely did not expect to be as far along the recovery path as I am now - I didn’t expect to feel so normal. Yes - I know that I can expect full recovery around the 12 month mark - but really the only time I notice my achilles now is first thing in the morning - or if I go for a longer hike and it start to tire. I have been back doing ballet again everyday for the last month - just at home even though class would probably be fine - but in a class situation I know I would push myself further than I probably should. I still see the physio every 3 weeks, and she is continuing to be extremely pleased with my recovery, especially when she compares me to her other Achilles cases at present (surgical cases I might note!). She says the Achilles feels almost normal now, is 2-3 times thinner than her other case at this stage, and my calf circumference needs a little bit of work - but is almost back to size (ballet definitely helping with that). Doing lots of lunges forwards and sideways, single jumps forwards/back and sideways (and holding the landing), lots of heel walks and toe walks (I do these up and down the hallway at work to my colleagues’ amusement), and the ballet has a lot of holds on demi pointe which has really helped with my strength (and also core work). I can go for long walks - and hiking in uneven terrain. I no longer have a slightly pinker leg when I stand, and there is minimal swelling after “hard” use. My goal at the start was to be able to handle rougher terrain for a field trip in Spain next month - I no longer have any concern about that which is great. Yes - of course I will still be careful, but it’s another month away and I have been able to handle longer hikes in rough terrain for almost over a month. My new big goal is my full return to dancing. As irish dance (what I am a qualified teacher for - and the activity I was doing when I full ruptured) is very demanding - I know it is at least 3 months away - but I hope to return to ballet classes before then. Meanwhile I do up to an hour and a half each day at home - and it has been great watching my strength start to increase again. Doing exercise to music is way more fun for me than just straight exercises! WIll keep everyone updated as I hopefully reach more of my goals - and hoping that everyone is progressing well in their recovery!

6 Responses to “6 Month Mark “already”!”

1. kellygirlon 21 Aug 2013 at 4:01 PM

Great update, Trin! You don’t know how happy I am to hear that you are almost back to normal at 6 months. I can’t believe you have the strength to dance on pointe at this stage–that’s amazing! Clearly, I’m going to have to do more dancing around the house. Keep up the most excellent work. I look forward to your next update!

2. Riprap roaron 22 Aug 2013 at 1:39 AM

Hi trin
    Fantastic news, happy 6 months anniversary to us, it’s been a while since we touched base, but things don’t change in the fact that I’m still we’ll jealous of your recovery but happy also
    RRR

3. trin74on 22 Aug 2013 at 6:41 AM

Hey Kelly - good to hear from you! Yes, when I first did this I was desperate for news of people that did recover fast and well, so think it important to come back on from time to time to update. I hope your recovery is going well. RRR - how are things progressing with you now? It’s funny how fast the latter part of the 6 months has flown by compared to the slowness of the first 8 weeks hey!

4. sallycolellaon 22 Aug 2013 at 4:57 PM

Love this update! It does seem ballet is a great healer. I have not done ballet moves since my teens but will be taking them up once again soon. I am 16 days from rupture so it is great to have the light of your post in the future!

5. Riprap roaron 22 Aug 2013 at 6:58 PM

Hi trin
    Things going well
    I reckon I’m 5 weeks behind you, I think it’s party coz ur a super human ballerina and I’ve been travelling the Far East for 3 weeks so not much rehab, tonight I did pt with jumps, and pushing myself up on a Bench brady browne did same thing in vid 7
    I can walk for a few miles up steep hills no problem, at is tight but doesn’t stop me lunges squats etc, pt says I’m 3 weeks of jogging, I’m now seeing her twice weekly mainly for massage of at , walking up and down stairs s no problem, people say I walk perfect, however I can feel need more strength in calf, my single toe lift is only half as good as my non ATR, all in all I’m happy and the worry gone, I know I will get back, still ave a bit of numbness though, which is rare for non op I believe
    RRR

6. trin74on 26 Aug 2013 at 2:54 PM

Hey RRR - sounds like you are progressing really well! I’m not actually jogging yet (jogging across the road doesn’t really count…) - but I’m a dancer not a runner so not really been working towards that. I hope the numbness sorts itself out - but sounds like you are doing really well with all your exercises. Great to hear. Let me know when you are jogging - that will be an awesome milestone.