Jul 01 2013

4 Month Video Update

Published by trin74 at 7:13 PM under Countdown

I keep forgetting to post this video update of my progress. You can see that I am not getting the same height on the left leg as the right leg, but pretty happy with my progress, especially my single heel raises.

Video was too big to add so have just included a link:

And I have progressed to small jumps with the physio. My left knee is making some interesting noises with the single leg bends, so we have gone back to doubles until it gets more strength. Doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t sound great either! Another week before I go back - up to 2.5 weeks apart, and focusing more on my core now than my Achilles.

17 Responses to “4 Month Video Update”

1. kellygirlon 01 Jul 2013 at 7:47 PM

You are a non-op success story! Look at that walk and those heel lifts, wow! Amazing. Congrats. All the hard work has paid off :)

2. trin74on 01 Jul 2013 at 8:33 PM

Thanks Kelly! Yes - I’m pretty happy with my recovery - I didn’t think I would be this far along when I was sitting with my foot up in a cast! Interestingly a guy at work just did a partial rupture of his Achilles. He had 3 surgeons around him debating what to do with him - and they opted for no cast or boot sent him home with crutches, and said to come back if it’s not improving in 4 weeks. They said that mobilisation of it was key, with no rest for the partial rupture. Well, he is walking pretty well 2 weeks later no crutches in sight! And he’s rubbing it in that he’s obviously tougher… I keep warning him about not getting carried away.. But I do hope it continues to improve so well for him. Even if he WAS one of those people that laughed at me in my knee trolley! (yep, karma’s a ….!)

3. kellygirlon 01 Jul 2013 at 9:33 PM

Lol! I hope to feel the same at the 4 month mark. I went back and read your 8 or 9 week post and was relieved to find that you experienced AT tightness too. I’m on week 9 (one week in two shoes) and find the tightness a little exasperating. I’m looking forward to a normal gait. I thought it might be because of the more conservative protocol I’m on but reading your post helps me from feeling anxious or discouraged. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration :)

Ay, karma is something else! I’m trying to think of what I did to deserve this!

4. trin74on 01 Jul 2013 at 9:41 PM

Hey Kelly, when I had that tightness everyone reassured me that it would pass.. But I was still frustrated.. Unfortunately all I can tell you too is that, it will pass!! It happens slowly but surely until one day you realise that it is heaps looser and not bothering you as much.. It really will get better! If you put the work in it really does make a difference! Good luck with your recovery, and I hope you make as good a progress!

5. micah1on 01 Jul 2013 at 10:14 PM

Impressive footwork Trin, I’m about 2 weeks behind you, my walk is quite similar I think, but nowhere near you with the lifts, not even sure I could have done that pre injury!
    Kelly its exactly as Trin says, one morning you walk down stairs and think “How did that happen?” as you realise that its almost normal, but its been so gradual you barely noticed. There is still tightness there but improving weekly. Keep at it everyone!

6. lodinpdxon 02 Jul 2013 at 2:19 AM

That was awesome! It took me a while to figure out which was your bad foot! I also want you to know I noticed your toes… mine are frightening right now! Dreaming about a pedi and heel lifts!

7. kellygirlon 02 Jul 2013 at 3:03 AM

@Trin and micah!: Thanks for the reassurance! I will patiently wait to get back to normal. Sometimes I feel the more I walk, the tighter it gets. Take it day by day, I guess :)

8. kingbon 02 Jul 2013 at 3:06 AM

That’s awesome! I’m a month behind and am hopeful that I will be in the same place in August.

9. Ripraproaron 02 Jul 2013 at 7:31 PM

Hi trin,
    Great vid and I still we’ll jel

I have been to physio today and did my first eccentric toe lift , very frightening, not sure you will remember my ATR was 5 days before yours, you appear well ahead, my at still tight but physio isn’t worried, she says to work on strength, I’m standing calf lifting 100 kg strength is coming I’m lifting more than my body weight, after gym or walking say a mile at hurts leg burns, can’t quite walk downstairs without cheating, limp if I excercise, hope all goes ok once stretching excercise kicks in,
    Trin , how often do you go to physio? Is it NHS or private?
    I go at least weekly, thanks for your vid its a good yard stick for me
    RRR

10. trin74on 02 Jul 2013 at 8:33 PM

Hey RRR - good to hear from you. That’s great news about your strength - good work! Sorry to hear it is still so tight still. I barely notice tightness now, but still working on strength. I was allowed more stretching than you it seems - I am private, and only go every 2-2.5 weeks as she is happy with what I am doing at home. Would be good to see her more often - but I am progressing well enough anyway. I just love the full on massage on the tendon and calf, It’s awesome! Let me know how you progress with your toe raises!

11. ripraproaron 02 Jul 2013 at 11:37 PM

Thanks trin,
    Ill keep you posted, hopefully you will to.
    I seeing doc about the possibility of crps due to burning and nerve pain consultant 50 /50 on this, physio sure it isn’t this. Keep recovering trin , let me know when your jogging , my physio says I’m 2 weeks of jogging, I remain to be convinced but I le to be proved wrong
    RRR

12. trin74on 03 Jul 2013 at 11:24 AM

Will do RRR - not sure when I’ll be jogging, I feel like I coudl now quite easily - but we are being cautious.. Hoep they work out what is wrong soon - seems strange for non-op.

13. Ripraproaron 03 Jul 2013 at 6:46 PM

Hi trin
    Thanx, yes is strange very rare and a reason I went non op, ill get there no problem , just small set backs, did the excercise today that u did on vid, crickey it’s hard the first time, I thought I was mastering it ,but when I look in the mirror, coming down on the bad leg my heel dips before I want to come down voluntary
    RRR

14. trin74on 06 Jul 2013 at 7:10 AM

Hey RRR, Yes - that one is hard - but it has helped me get the single toe raises faster fir sure! I can notice a massive difference from when I first did it to know, and look forward to further improvement! :) Hope you see some improvement soon too.

15. Kikion 10 Jul 2013 at 7:41 PM

Thanks for posting this inspiring video! I am 2.5 weeks post-op, still casted, and on the fence about whether or not to take a business trip to Europe scheduled for 12 weeks. Your amazing progress makes me feel like I can. Congrats and may you have a speedy full recovery!

16. Sandizonaon 11 Jul 2013 at 6:16 PM

Hi Trin…. Wow, awesome impressive video!
    I am 5 months post op, walking good, going up stairs good… Coming down NOT so much!!!
    My scar is still quite raised, even after massaging either vitamin E several times a day…. Or Bio Oil. Even went homeopathic with Arnica gel. Are you having any trouble with scar tissue? Must admit I expected to be all good by now but still have occasional electric like jolts up the tendon, and when I do the Thompson test, still NO movement noticeable with my injured foot/leg/tendon. The good foot, twitches the moment that calf is pressed .
    I should go back and read more posts from our elite group….. I’ve missed the comoradery.
    (((((Hugs from Sandi)))))

17. trin74on 11 Jul 2013 at 8:40 PM

Kiki - There were many things I didn’t think I would be doing at this point, but I have been very lucky, along with some hard work with the physio to get where I am. I remember being where you are and thinking how I would love to be where I am now - and how far away that seemed. Once you are 2 shoes the time flies by. In fact, once you are FWB the time moves much quicker. Good luck with your recovery! Sandi, sorry to hear about your scar tissue - being non op I son’t have any problems with the incision scar tissue - but yes, my tendon is still thicker than the other one, but is decreasing all the time. If I do too much one day it does still swell a little. I definitely get a positive with the Thompson test - but everyone is different, and it’s apparently not always the best indicator. I do have to watch calf tightness that’s for sure! Off to London for the weekend - lots of walking ahead. It feels great to not have to worry about it anymore (and it’s GREAT to have widened my suitable shoe range!!). I’ve just got to the point where I’m not thinking about every single step going up and down stairs, which is awesome. Best of luck with your continued recovery - I hit 5 months next week! Time has flown!