May 01 2013

10 week mark ROM

Published by trin74 at 8:18 PM under Two Shoes

Some pictures of my ROM for the 10 week mark (well, 9 weeks and 6 days). I have had most of the ROM for about 4 weeks now, just trying to work on the dorsiflexion. I am am starting to walk faster - but it does still feel (and is) very slow. When people see me after a break of a few days or more they say I am moving faster - I suppose it is easier for them to see it than me. Can balance on my toes now - with heels low, Only trying up to 10 seconds with rests, not feeling any pain. Still can’t do my dreaded knee bend exercise very well, but there is a small improvement I think. Have started balancing on a wobble board but holding on at present while I build up more strength. Was a bit slack when I was in London with my exercises - but was doing a lot of walking which I suppose made up for some of it. Almost can’t believe it has been 10 weeks already!

Comparing Leg size

Comparing Leg size

Plantarflexion - very similar to the good leg

Plantarflexion - very similar to the good leg

Dorsiflexion, this one I am struggling with

Dorsiflexion, this one I am struggling with

Pretty much the same as pre-injury

Pretty much the same as pre-injury

The same as pre-injury

The same as pre-injury

photo-11
photo-31

6 Responses to “10 week mark ROM”

1. mikejp88on 02 May 2013 at 4:20 PM

Awesome job. The dorsiflexion will come, I’m sure. I don’t know if I would be adventurous enough to make a big trip like that but I suppose if I already had it planned it would be disappointing to not go.

For inversion and eversion (toes in and out) you are measuring your hips it looks like. Your hips can rotate and trick you. Make sure your knee/shin doesn’t move and stays pointed straight up and that the ankle bends only. It looks like your shin is moving a lot. Especially in the eversion picture (looks like 50 degrees of motion but it should be like 20 or less).

2. Ripraproaron 02 May 2013 at 7:55 PM

Hey trin
    Great stuff I’m really pleased for you , when you say balance on your toes what do you actually mean,

3. trin74on 02 May 2013 at 8:21 PM

Hey Mike - yes, I’m told the dorsiflexion will come…. eventually :) The trip was for work, and not something I could back out of easily without doing my job, so London it was! Was pretty tired though - and still am - looking forward to the weekend that’s for sure! And yes, I know I was turning out from the hips - but for me that’s what I need to see as well - as a dancer! Can show photos of where I’m at without turning out from the hips - but it’s pretty much the same as the good one. But totally get what you mean. And RRR - when I balance on my toes it is from starting flat footed, transferring my weight onto my toes and lift my heels slightly. I know from the other day I can get right up on the balls of my feet with both heels up (!!) but trying to make sure I don’t do that again this soon! I hold it there for 10 seconds or so. I reckon my heels are maximum 1cm off the ground at the moment - making sure to build up strength.

4. normofthenorthon 02 May 2013 at 8:50 PM

Trin, we usually joke here that post-ATR, we’ll have to give up our dreams of becoming leg models — but those photos look remarkably good and symmetrical!
    Good trick!

5. trin74on 02 May 2013 at 8:57 PM

Thanks Norm! I think having sparrow legs in the first place helps with looking more symmetrical now! :) I used to bemoan how I could never build up big calf muscles for the type of dance I do, but now I’m kind of grateful :) I have been pretty religious with my lower leg exercises too, and I think just lucky. I was seriously surprised how much a week of walking in 2 shoes changed the muscle tone in my leg.

6. kellygirlon 03 May 2013 at 12:36 AM

Gosh, this is so inspiring. I just suffered a complete rupture on Sunday and am currently in my first cast. I’d be thrilled to be where you are now after going the non-operative route. That’s terrific that your Dr is allowing you a more aggressive protocol. I think I need to be a little more aggressive with my Dr. as well. Good luck with the rest of you recovery :) I’ll be following you closely.