Apr 27 2013

9 week mark

Published by trin74 at 11:08 AM under Two Shoes

Had another appointment with the physio on Friday. The level of intensity of the “massage” has definitely increased that’s for sure! She is still happy with my progress, except for my dorsiflexion, and moved me up to the blue theraband seeing as I was at the limit on the green. I had already progressed my balancing exercises past what she wanted, and was happy I could already do the next step. I have noticed since being in 2 shoes how quickly the muscle tone has recovered, and even she commented on how my leg looks like a leg again. (Rather than a twig). She is so happy with my daily regimen of exercise (as well as my set exercises, the core work, weights for upper body and exercise bike I have added in swimming and exercises in the pool) that she doesn’t want to see me for 2 weeks. Not sure if I’m totally happy with it, but as she said, I am doing her job for her.. Just have to slowly work at increasing my dorsiflexion, but know I can’t rush it. Have to go for London for work for 2 days early next week, will take the boot with me, but she says that unless I have to rush anywhere (won’t be taking public transport), she’d like me to try to stay 2 shoes. I’ll see how I feel Monday morning.. Meanwhile the past week of being two shoes has been great, but definitely slower!! Although I have managed to start driving again, emergency stop tested beforehand!! Trying to limit how much I do, but great for getting to and from work. ¬†And now the sun is shining, so might make the most of it!!

13 Responses to “9 week mark”

1. normofthenorthon 28 Apr 2013 at 12:23 AM

Nice! Another trick to add a bit of safety when walking (early) 2-shoes in scary places is to carry a cane or walking stick. Even without a big red flag on it, it has that affect on most of the people who are tempted to bump into you or trip you. . .

Some PTs and protocols use a towel — each end in a hand, middle looped around the ball of your foot — for ROM and resistance/strength exercise. Basically it means trusting the patient’s judgment about how much force/tension to apply to the towel, rather than a graded series of Therabands (whose tension varies a LOT depending on how hard you stretch them).

2. Ripraproaron 28 Apr 2013 at 9:58 AM

Hey, trin, great to see your progress, think your more disciplined than me, I’m just doing the band and one foot balancing when I’m home, to be fair I’m exhausted when I get home from work, only had two pt sesions, been adviced to do just one a week, appears to be a bit slow to me, however first week in 2 shoes was mostly painful, not just swelling but a pulling and sharp pain on tendon, the real turning point was around Wednesday, I read somewhere to try 2 compression socks, I combined this with sturdy walking boots which replaced the Nike air trainers , this really does appear to do the trick my stride is really good, not just a wide stride of bad leg past the good but also good past the bad, got to say neither the boot or the AirMax cuts it in a business suit however I won’t be losing to much sleep on the look. The home excercise still gives some pain so I do the rice, the pain is kind of in the inner curve of my foot , kind of a burning pain, pain on side tendon inner ankle this is more of what a bruise feels like when you press it, the strangest feeling I have is when I lightly stroke the back of my leg about an inch lower than my lower calf, it kind of gives a numbish tingle all the way to my foot, not sure if that has any relevance to recovery . Anyhow when all said and done tendon feeling and looking better. Thanks for your update

3. trin74on 30 Apr 2013 at 8:17 PM

Well - trip to London went well. Managed to stay 2 shoes the whole time which was great. Took a tip from you RRR and wore two compression socks and my sturdiest shoes - which meant I could actually walk a little faster which made it a LOT easier. I did have a lot of tingling and numbness in my foot after the cast came off and for about 4 weeks in the boot. Don’t have anything now though, but my heel is definitely more sensitive - in that it can ache if I am on it for too long. Had a slight “incident” when I was away. Was standing in the lobby waiting for one of my colleagues to check in and I without thinking went up onto my toes (with both feet) and down again. It wasn’t until I was back flat on both feet that I realised what I had done. No pain - it was just a natural movement for me with all the dance training I have done. Made me realise how easily it could have gone wrong.. So being extra cautious now. Glad you are doing better RRR, I don’t know if I have achieved any extra dorsiflexion in the last week. If I have it’s very small. And thanks Norm - incorporated the towel while I was away. And I used the cane to ward people off. People in London are not that observant I have found…

4. JoyAon 30 Apr 2013 at 9:20 PM

I am in two shoes battling London. I don’t use my crutch now so being extra careful in crowds and on the tube.

I like to think I slow them down a little in their rush to work!

Trin, what compression socks are you using? I am looking at some but would rather get a recommendation.

Thanks, Joy

5. Ripraproaron 01 May 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hi trin, wow I’m really jealous, on toes scary, I won’t be trying that for a good while, trin what stops your stride is it pain, muscle or just being careful, I still ave this miserable lump and pain, I know we all heal different but it’s good to compare, if I look at altons vid my walk is not as good as his at 9 weeks and at 10 weeks if I could walk like him I’d be really happy.
    Take care

6. Ripraproaron 01 May 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hi joy
    I bought socks from boots but found Matalan much cheaper much better quality , only five quid

7. trin74on 01 May 2013 at 5:59 PM

Hey RRR. What stops me is a little pain (not much) but mainly an uncomfortable tightness. At times during the day it is pretty good, at other times when I am tired or when I have been sitting down too long (or first thing in the morning) it is not great. Getting better though, I think it is harder for us to see it as it so incremental. I hope the lump and pain improves soon - I have a small lump, but not the pain you are getting. Yes - Alton’s walk is very good for that stage - I can walk almost normally (but still flat footed) with my heel wedges in and if I am SLOW. If I try to speed up the limp becomes evident. Barefoot walking is very uncomfortable and flat and tight. With the socks - I actually have Kathmandu ones from Australia - but I hear the 2XU ones are very good. I love their other compressional gear I have.

8. Ripraproaron 01 May 2013 at 6:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback trin it des help, I’m going to try and video my walk, I don’t know what will be the most, the upload or the walk,
    I don’t have the wedge and walking on tile barefoot doesn’t hurt bt Ido haves flat foot walk

9. Ripraproaron 01 May 2013 at 6:10 PM

Hi everyone I want to aka question, I’ve noticed if I stand barefoot for more than 5 seconds my foot and leg go red bad leg only , then after 10 secs if I stay stationary it goes more purple, bad leg only, does anyone else get this or know what the cause maybe, I’m nt sure It’s worth seeing the doc about

10. ryanbon 01 May 2013 at 7:33 PM

I had the tehnicolor leg effect for several months post surgery. It diminished very gradually over time, as I got more and more active on it. There was a time when I wondered if it was going to be permanent, but eventually it went away.

11. JoyAon 01 May 2013 at 8:39 PM

Thanks guys. I threw caution to the wind and bought 2XU socks today.

I shall report back!

12. Ripraproaron 01 May 2013 at 8:40 PM

Hi ryanb
    Sorry to say you having this humpalumpa colouring makes me happy, I say this selfishly but with respect, your progress and blogs have been nothing short of amazing, I’m sure your an inspiration to all us recovery hopefuls, it’s fantastic how you and others still come to help others even so long after recovery, I hope I am as generous so long after recovery, ill promise ill do my best trying
    RRR

13. ryanbon 02 May 2013 at 4:12 AM

Thanks Rip- it’s always nice to hear when somebody has found my contributions helpful or encouraging in some small way.