2 Shoes Day!!

This past weekend I finally got the point where I could be walking in two shoes, so for the first time I was able to drive in over two months and start to finally regain some independence.

My PT has given me numerous exercises including standing raises and putting about 20% weight on the affected foot and doing moderate walking.

I was very nervous at first, with feeling some stiffness, thinking that this was just going to be re ruptured, after a good long talk with my PT she assured me that if I  wasn’t running or jumping I had little to no risk of injury.

So I’m still using my Vacocast to go for a long walks, for short walks it’s just two shoes, I’m being a Boy Scout as far as exercising and following instructions of my pt.

For all those people who are at the beginning of an Achilles injury time will go by and you will get better!

Fall from knee scooter

I was getting off an airplane on February 25th, wearing my Vacocast, on my knee scooter, carrying crutches.  Ah you can see this can only end badly.  Going up the jet way, on the scooter, I got one of the wheels caught on the separation seam and next thing I went head over heels and landed on the ground, only to end up tearing off my toe nail on my injured foot.  Thank goodness for the Vacocast as my ankle stayed in position and I am certain I did not re injure my Achilles.  The Vacocast has been great I have been swimming with it on and at least I have had a diversion from the recovery process.  Tomorrow I am off to see the ortho surgeon and I expect he will reduce the flexion in my Vacocast.  I have slept a couple nights without the splint on, but felt as if something bad could happen and hence have now started wearing the splint while in bed.  I feel like I am behind the one protocol that suggest by week six to basically being fully weight bearing…what I am realizing is that this recovery process is as much art as it is science.  Will report back once I have my appointment on Thursday.

New Vacocast today, starting pwb!

Received my new Vacocast today.  This is the first day I am starting pwb.  This is the first weight I have had on my foot in over a month.  My foot bottom feels as if though it is asleep…pins and needles like.  Feels far more stable moving about without putting 100% of my weight on the crutches and left foot.  And yes the one side is a lot higher than the other, I will get some heel wedges for once I am back to the office I will need something that goes a distance to levelling me out when I walk.

This cast is a bit bulky (less so than a plaster one), but comfortable, I bought a second liner so I plan to go swimming tomorrow with it on, that will be good for simply a change of scenery.  Am wondering about night time, I think I may put my splint on at night as it is set for 20% plantar flexion and then put the Vacocast back on when I get out of bed…thinking I may sleep better with that..not sure if that is good or bad, what is bad though is not sleeping well!

February 6th met with Ortho

Basically a month since the ATR, been splinted for three weeks now.  Ortho wants me in a Vacocast starting this week, with very pwb using crutches with orientation at 20 degrees for the next three weeks.  Then to go back in to start moving some degrees back to 90.  I actually felt encouraged this time as I actually have a month behind me, even though he said expect 8 weeks of some version of immobilization.  He is very keen though on keeping my ankle loose and would like to see some light side to side movement but at all times no stress on the tendon.  The cast I am getting will be able to go in water, so looking forward to getting into the pool from time to time with it.  I can also sleep at night without my splint on so this will be a real treat to have that thing off so maybe I can finally  get a good night sleep as there have not been enough of those.

I really have appreciated the encouragement and having a place to talk to others who are on the same path!

Was not a calf tear

I mentioned they thought initially a calf tear, once back to Canada and proper imaging…calf was fine…they called it refered pain. The problem was all with the Achilles. Thanks for all of the encouragement, been pointed to some good advice on what to expect on the road ahead! Seeing ortho in two days and will report back to the blog the next steps.

How tear happened

On January 8,th playing tennis with a friend in Hawaii, I am a very infrequent tennis player. I am active though, lots of walking, elliptical trainer, road riding bike in summer. After playing for an hour we were walking off but my tennis partner said lets just play for a few more minutes…boom go to do a backhand…who hit my calf…electric like shock…next thing on the ground. Because the pain initially was upper calf, I thought I had an upper calf tear. Lay around for the next two hours trying not to throw up. Swelling sets in and I have a terrible time walking. Pick up some crutches. By the next day heavy swelling in calf to foot…off to clinic as I was flying back to Vancouver the next day, to see about flying with swollen leg and the potential of a blood clot. The doctors think high calf tear as well as I passed a Thompson test. Back home I see a sports medicine doctor, sends me to imaging on January 15th, and I find out I have torn half of my Achilles. Get splinted, with toe pointed down (right foot). Orth doc discussed surgery vs. a conservative approach…doc leaned to conservative approach…which was nice as this seemed to jive with what I had been reading on this website. Now it is February 2nd. Been three weeks of no driving and no walking and the realization of a fairly long road back is setting in. I would like to know what the road back realistically what all the steps will look like. I look forward to posting on this site and encouraging others along this path!