How Long PT?

October 8, 2009 | |

10 weeks post-op today. I’m feeling good, walking now with only a very slight limp. The plan is to begin lap swimming again in 2 weeks, jogging in 6 weeks.

Question: how long are you guys working out with a PT? My doctor “prescribed” 4-6 weeks (I am in my 3rd week now). I plan to continue thru the end of October, which would be right over 6 weeks. After that, my insurance runs out.

I’ve seen a few on here who seem to be working out with a PT as long as 6 months. Really? Why?

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. 2ndtimer on October 8, 2009 7:12 am

For me the answer is simple: after 2 rounds I have such muscle atrophy that I am far from being back to normal, and appreciate their guidance. I have run out of insurance a long time ago…. but their compassionate rate is $40 which is worth it for me.

2. pendersnitzel on October 8, 2009 7:17 am

I learned via shoulder surgery that you need to be careful what words you use to respond to questions. When asked how it is going, do not tell them you “Feel Great”. The insurance company takes that to mean you need no more PT.

Answer to questions about your progress should be answered with something like, “I am progressing, but still have a ways to go to get back to pre-op condition.”

They will cut you off ASAP–Their business is to “not spend money”….

3. Joe on October 8, 2009 7:31 am

Tom,

I’m at 11 weeks now and still have a limp. Mainly because my achilles is still to tight. So when I walk there is a limit on how far my stride is. If I do a short stride there is no limp. I’m working on stretching out the tendon daily. How long did it take you to get where you are?

4. Anonymous on October 8, 2009 7:37 am

Joe: I am 10 weeks post-op and 3 weeks into “serious” PT (the first few visits were pointless). It sounds like you and I have the same hitch yet in our step. The achilles still does not stretch out as much as I need it to, but my PT says it’ll come.

Can any “vets” weigh in on this?

Tom in Georgia

5. tomtom on October 8, 2009 8:15 am

Tom - It really depends on your mindset and how well you are healing. Some people feel more comfortable with the guidance as well as the motivation of PT. Others find that they can do the rehab on their own. And some just have longer recoveries that require more time. Personally, I think the first several weeks of PT are the most important. We all want to rebuild our calf strength right away, but it’s also important to rebuild other leg muscles that aren’t used while immobilized and NWB/PWB. The therapists are able to suggest exercises for other leg muscles that most people wouldn’t consider. They also monitor your progress to make sure things aren’t moving too fast or too slow.

How often are you currently going to PT? If your insurance is limiting the number of visits you can make, I would suggest reducing the frequency of your visits and stringing them out over a longer period of time if you feel like you’re still getting a benefit. If you’re 3 weeks in to “serious PT” and things are feeling good I would guess that you’re able to do quite a bit on your own at this point.

Talk to your therapist and explain your situation as well. They will probably be able to provide the best recommendation. Good luck with the healing!

6. doug53 on October 8, 2009 10:50 am

Georgia Tom:

Toward the end of my very long 4/29 post, there is a section called “the frustrating plateau” that goes over why that last bit of limp is so stubborn. As TomTom points out, it is ultimately a strength issue.

Doug