thelifechangingpop’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

“She’s only happy when she’s dancin’” - Bryan Adams

Filed under: Uncategorized — thelifechangingpop at 11:04 am on Thursday, November 21, 2013

My, I have a bad case of ATR blues.

Unless one has comprehensive medical cover, this is an expensive injury. My medical aid paid for most of my hospital costs but I have no cover for physio or any extra visits to the OS. My rainy day fund is experiencing a drought with all the extra costs such as taking taxi to physio, if friends and family can’t help out, paying for swimming pool access, physio treatments and all the expenses of having to employ a vet to locum for me at my clinic while I’m still on crutches.  I have an income protection policy but this only covers a portion of my salary.  Amazing how in retrospect I realise how many things I would have done differently from a business and financial point of you if I’d known how this kind of injury can destroy you if you’re self employed.

So just read what I’ve written and my level of self pity is vomit inducing, but they say a problem shared is a problem halved so thanks to all of you who braved their way through that paragraph of ‘poor me’.

So on the progress side of things, I did some FWB today,almost unconsciously,  just lifted my right crutch up and there I was walking like a biped,  terrifying feeling actually and don’t think I’ll do anymore today. Read Spacemonkey’s blog day before yesterday and it made me want to just lie very quietly on my bed for the next 2 weeks!!!!

Would be nice go get an idea of how often ATRs go to physio, once a week, twice a week? I read hoppymodo’s blog earlier today and she only had one physio visit. Would love to hear some opinions on PT, the good the bad and the ugly.

Gentle healing to you all.

Jen

10 Comments

Comment by steven

November 21, 2013 @ 11:49 am

Hi,

im currently having 1x PT a week, (NHS, England). because of illness & extremely busy clinics, havent been seen for 3 weeks now. im just carrying on with the exercises i have been shown. if it gets cancelled again, then i’ll think about private.

after week 16 the physio stops anyway & i join a lower limb circuits class.

we’ve all had down days with this injury & people who havent had it, just dont understand.

stay positive, it does get better, im week 15 tomorrow & im back walking in two shoes & driving a manual car.

stay strong.

Comment by normofthenorth

November 21, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Love reading your posts!

PT, I did 1/wk starting 2 wks in. Seemed frequent enough to me. Continued til I quit, just after my manipulation-&-gizmo PT handed me off to the gym PT. I was paying, maybe $75/pop. Ontario’s “OHIP” health insurance used to cover PT 100% (& chiro at least 50%), but not any more. Gotta save money for the CTs and nuclear scans etc. (which are all still free).

Comment by Hutt

November 21, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

LCP
Rest assured that there are a number of us out here who are having to pay for the privilege of belonging to the ATR club! Which can be quite galling esp when one comes away from a specialist appointment feeling that you have imparted more knowledge than you have gained. ( thanks to this site)! My new PT ( at 14 weeks) was so non pulsed that I had taken the non op route, that he phoned the doctor for a 2nd opinion!
It’s rather like a car needing an MOT after the warranty has run out! The running gear needs an overhaul, and it needs to come off the road for a bit! As we all know, that’s going to cost, but at least the Lamborghini’s engine is all good!!
Anti spam word is very apt: positive!!
Hoppy

Comment by kimc

November 25, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

I second the expensive comment, especially with two years of chasing a fix before having the surgery. That said, I have hit the maximum on my insurance plan’s out-of-pocket for 2013, so bring on the PT! Not sure yet what my PT visits will look like, but after my first visit it sounded like most of it would be something I could do on my own.

I did go ahead and schedule ART (Active Release Therapy) visits for the month of December to keep all my other lower body muscles free of knots and tightness.

You have a great attitude, LCP, and that may be the most important element in this recovery process!

Comment by Carol Loar

November 25, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

I’ve been doing 2X/week since September. Like Kimc, I hit my out-of-pocket maximum for the year, so I’m trying to make as much progress (safely) as I can before the end of the year. That said, if your PT has given you good instructions, there is no reason why you couldn’t do much of this on your own, with periodic checkups to see if/when new exercises can be added, etc.

Can you rent a knee scooter and start seeing patients again? At least those that can be lifted onto an exam table?

Hang in there; it really does get better.

Comment by Ron

November 25, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Hi Livechangingpop,

I understand your problem. A lot of my friends have had that problem with various injuries. While my insurance pays the $150 per visit (Yes, $150), I have changed them to every other week. I just make him give me homework and do it myself. I do the same thing when I teach golf and tennis (I give them homework). LOL.

With that said, in my previous post, I list a lot of exercises\links, and am in the process of creating videos on what my PT has me doing. Being a DPT, this guy is really good.

Regarding FWB, the first time you go FWB, it is scary, period. I did it for an hour each day and went back to PWB -0 for about a week. At that point, it was easier.

Take your time and keep in mind that with Norm and the collective body here, we can help you a lot because we have been through it or, are going through it.
Post any questions and I am sure we can help you navigate through things.

Lastly, I would not read too much into anyone else’s bad experiences because most of the posts here are positive. It’s nice to know what to afford, but please do not harp on the negative because a positive breeze is right around the corner. Read more real, but positive posts. :-)

Good luck and try not to worry so much, you have come a long way!!!

Ron
Moving Patiently Forward

135

Comment by Amaury

March 3, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

Wow that is a similar story. That couepld with our ’similar’ running history is eerie!! :)I’ve had the orthothics since Feb 08. Prior to that I had multiple calf injuries and as I wore Asics Kayano (high stability shoe) they were the recommended solution. I wear them on all training runs but not while racing (I thought that they may be too cumbersome in racing flats).You may have a point - it’s funny how the current problem is on the outside of my leg whereas the calf injuries were always on the inside. The physio definitely thinks that my glutes and abductors need strengthening and I wouldn’t disagree as I’ve been bad a strengthening this area in recent ‘years’. I think that I may stick with this approach for a while longer before I consider throwing out the orthotics (I don’t want to get the calf injury back as that would mean at least 6 weeks or no running and rest!!)The next physio session is on the 5th so I’ll see how my runs go between now and then. Thanks for the pointer it’s really appreciated.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

308

Comment by Pay for getting writing assistance

December 28, 2015 @ 5:07 am

The awesome story was written by Bryan Adams and I really enjoy reading it, I would like to say that Bryan Adams did an excellent job and I hope that he will write this type of story in the future.

313

Comment by Black Gotham Series Jacket

June 1, 2016 @ 6:04 am

Hey Author! You have superlative content written. I was given address of this place through my friends who have already check out this archive. Great job.

316

Comment by Free google play cards

July 6, 2016 @ 3:37 pm

I am grateful to these google play gift cards as they offer me free apps at Google play store.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.