tanja90’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Tendon warm to touch

Filed under: Uncategorized — tanja90 at 4:41 am on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Recently my tendon area has been feeling rather warm to the touch. Does anyone know why this is? Should I be worried?

5 Comments »

Comment by davidk

August 13, 2014 @ 5:57 am

Tanja90, warmth is usually not a good sign, but without more information it’s difficult to say if you should be concerned. Is it also red? Is it tender to the touch? Is it swollen? Together, these could be signs of infection and you should contact your doctor. Did you have ATR surgery, or are you being treated non-op? Lastly, I recommend you add the ATR Timeline widget to your blog so readers will have some immediate context about where you are in the recovery process–you’ll likely get better answers and comments. -David

Comment by dcoughlan

August 13, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Tanja, FWIW my achilles was almost permanently hot to the touch for quite a while during the first few months (not sure when it started cooling off, but I think it was sometime after going into shoes). The area is inflamed and the body is trying to rush blood in and out to clear it, so there’s a perfectly legitimate potential explanation for it. And heat is a good thing when it comes to healing this injury (don’t have the studies with me off-hand, but increases blood flow and metabolic rates), so odds are good that this is actually your body helping your achilles out.

However DavidK is correct that scar infection is a concern for operative patients. I was non-op so I don’t have any experience with scars — hopefully someone else can chime in.

Comment by tanja90

August 13, 2014 @ 9:56 am

Thanks for your comments. I added the timeline widget. I had surgery 8 weeks ago and have been exercising for the past 10 days - using the stationary bike and resistance leg machines and doing squats. It feels slightly swollen in one area but is not red. I’m wondering whether it could be from the exercise as it was feeling a bit sore when I was using the bike.

Comment by Pegleg

August 13, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

Yep I too found my ankle warm to touch this went hand in hand with increased activity. With recommendation from my PT I tried to not push myself too much further for a week or so and religiously iced it three times a day, especially after exercise - this helped heaps and have now been able to increase my exercises again. Listen your body is my tip :-)

Comment by tanja90

August 13, 2014 @ 2:28 pm

Thanks Pegleg. I left a message for my physio but he hasn’t gotten back to me. I will lay off the bike for a bit and see how it goes. I have been icing more.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI