10 months later…it’s good

Tomorrow will be the 10-month anniversary of my surgery.  It has definitely been an ordeal throughout the year.  Two months ago it looked like my OS was going to have to go back in to see what was going on with my foot.

I had been going to physical therapy and had done additional damage while going through the PT routines at his office.  Go figure.  Anyway, foot began to swell and was extremely hot to the touch, not good.  After several weeks of having the foot wrapped in a special wrap and walking in my tall walking boot there was still no improvement.  As a last resort the doctor ordered me to bed.  He said that I needed to keep off the foot entirely for two weeks, save for going to the bathroom, absolutely no weight bearing on the foot.  His parting comment to me was, "If that doesn’t work, I am going to have to go back in and see what is going on."  I’m thinking, "Yeah, so you think.  Not in this lifetime."  Thankfully I have the greatest husband who jumped right in and helped with everything so that I was able to comply with the doctor’s orders.

Slowly, and I do mean slowly, the foot began to respond.  Today, I have more better days than bad days.  Using common sense, I am able to pretty much do what I want to do.  I listen to my foot and stop when it says, "Enough."  My OS has finally agreed that I have taken the proverbial turn for the good.  He did say with the particular type of surgery that I had it would probably take a year to completely recover.  It has definitely been a roller coaster ride for me.  Thankfully days are now easier and I look toward to when this is a dim memory in my mind.

7 Responses to “10 months later…it’s good”

  1. I hope that’s the end of the problems! What was the special surgery?

  2. Thankfully there wasn’t any surgery, but he was going to have to go in and see what was going on with the Haglund part of the surgery if my foot continued on the way it was going. While I did everything that I supposed to do post surgery, my foot wasn’t on the same plan. The bed rest was the turning point. I don’t know where it would have gone if the second surgery had to be done, but it wasn’t and I’m thrilled.

  3. No, I was responding to your “He did say with the particular type of surgery that I had it would probably take a year to completely recover.”

    Did he mean that Haglunds surgery needs a year, or was there something more particular about yours?

  4. Oops, sorry about that. It was Haglund’s deformity and debridement. It was pretty ugly he said and had to do additional work while in there the first time.

  5. Hello!!

    Wow, I have a very similar case. I had a Haglund’s deformity, and 40% of my tendon was degenerated and avulsed from the bone. The other 60% ruptured higher up, and my tendon split up the middle. My OS had to debride the degenerative end, shave down the Haglund’s, attach the avulsed end back to the calcaneus with an anchor, repair the rupture higher up, and stitch the two sides together. I’m 8 months out now and doing quite well, save for some heel soreness. I also can’t do a single leg heel raise, and doubt at this point I will ever be able to. My gait looks good, and I can even jog a little. Not too bad overall.

  6. Like you, I am not able to do leg heel raises either. It isn’t for lack of trying though. Your surgery is pretty similar to mine, so I do know what you are going through. The one thing I have noticed is that when I now wear my tennis shoes I have better support, and I am able to do more than when wearing something like a sandal or clog. Hope your foot recovers quickly!

    [WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

  7. Hope the problems go for you!

Leave a Reply

*
To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash