suthrnman’s AchillesBlog

July 31st, 2011

Four week update on re-rupture

Posted by suthrnman in Journal

It has been four weeks since that dreadful day when I re-ruptured.  The encouraging words from everyone were very helpful in those following days–thanks again.  I am sure many will disagree with my decision, but I couldn’t bring myself to have surgery.  I decided to immediately put the ankle in a boot and let it ride.  If at four weeks it didn’t seem like it was going well, then I would have to reconsider.

I have been following the UWO protocol pretty closely with only one exception so far.  The protocol calls for the ankle in a splint for two weeks and then a boot.  The splint may keep the ankle at a steeper angle; nevertheless, my ankle was set at 30+degrees.  One tip for Vaco-Cast users: the beads were kinda deforming my Achilles . . . mostly from the swelling around the boot liner.  I made a real effort to push the beads away from the Achilles with my fingers.  This seems to have taken any pressure off the tendon and it feels much smoother now when I take my boot off.

Bottom line: my tendon has healed together with no tenderness or irregularities other than a small uniform ridge at the rupture point.  I have been extremely careful not to stretch my Achilles and thus repeat my error from the first go round.

Since week three, I have done  gentle movements per the protocol along with using the electric massager. I have also begun protected weight bearing using my crutches.  I believe the protocol calls for weight bearing as tolerated from week four onward.  However, I probably will continue PWB for another week or so before I go FWB.  I don’t feel any pain and probably could easily go FWB right now, but I want to protect from pre-mature stretching.

Hope everyone has swift and complete healing.  Blessings, pk

9 Responses to ' Four week update on re-rupture '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Four week update on re-rupture '.

1. Unclebuck23 said,

on August 1st, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Sthrnman, hope things are coming along smoothly…so you have the vaco cast? I will be switching into it as I make the transition to weight bearing. How do u like it? I have the regular cam walker now and I can’t imagine walking in this thing. Have u used the vaco for any water activity? just trying to get more feedback about it. Thx!

2. liverpoollass said,

on August 1st, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Great to hear that things are coming along. I can’t imagine what you went through it was hard enough once. I hope all continues to go well. LL x

3. normofthenorth said,

on August 2nd, 2011 at 1:33 am

All the best luck now, Suthernman, you’re due for some! Your recollection of the UWO protocol is the same as mine, except for the 2 weeks in the splint. In the versions I’ve read that was just for the post-op patients, and the non-op patients went straight into the boot, as you’ve done.

I can sympathize with your decision to delay FWB a week or two, though I’m personally convinced that early FWB (still in the boot) is beneficial for both op and non-op patients. Combining FWB with dorsiflexion has always made me nervous, but UWO leaves the heel wedges in for 6 weeks while starting FWB (”as tolerated”) at 4 weeks, so they’re pretty separate. If you’re keeping that part of UWO, at 6 weeks, but moving FWB back to 6 weeks, then you’ll be simultaneously introducing the “stretch” to neutral AND the FWB, which starts to make me nervous again. . . (Sorry if I’m complicating your life!)

4. suthrnman said,

on August 2nd, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hey Norm,
    I believe we are on the same page . . . I am leaving the ‘wedges’ as prescribed and I am weight bearing as tolerated; however, I am not FWB. I probably will begin FWB within a few days–I am @ 4 wks 2 days.
    You’re not complicating my life : ) I am all for constructive input. My goals have changed a bit since last go round . . . Last time I wanted to run ASAP and now I just want to walk w/o a limp. Hopefully, running will come eventually; however, 109 degree weather is not luring me outside to run and jump!

5. Unclebuck23 said,

on August 2nd, 2011 at 10:04 am

Hey…just realized I am only 2 days ahead of you! We will have to keep tabs on each other! Like I said…I meet with my surgeon and also PT Friday and I will get their feelings about FWB! Let do this together Suthrnman! Lol.

6. Unclebuck23 said,

on August 2nd, 2011 at 10:08 am

Dennis…thx for doing that! I’ll have to get started on it! By the way, I love this site!

7. wooman said,

on August 3rd, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Continuing to send good vibes. If it helps I know a guy ruptured both achilles; most recently his left and then he re-ruptured it. AND, it was post-op. So you have a lot of positives going right now.

Myself just started PT post-op today.

8. suthrnman said,

on August 3rd, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hey Unclebuck–The vaco cast works well. My complaint is that it doesn’t fit my leg real well, since my calf is skinny compared to my foot. I wear an 11.5-12 shoe and ordered the medium. Overall though it fits well enough I suppose. Yes, I have used it in the water. I just take off the liner and wear it in the pool or shower. I believe you will be pleased with it. pk

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

9. Unclebuck23 said,

on August 3rd, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Ok good to know sthrnman…in what way doesn’t it fit you then? Is the foot portion too small? I ordered the large and I wear an 11 shoe. I went according to the chart on the website.