May 01 2012

Surgery Completed

Published by superluminal51893 at 11:57 am under Uncategorized

The surgery took approximately 45 minutes from the time they put me under. The doctor said everything went as planned and expects a speedy recovery. My Achilles tendon was not detached and the Haglund’s deformity and as much bursitis as he cold get to was removed. They were already installing the cast when I came to, so I did not get a chance to see the damage. I did however get to see he bony enlargement that was removed.

Cast

Now comes the most difficult part… the recovery. I have an appointment on May 4 to see my doctor. I’ll keep updates going periodically. Now, it’s time for some pain medication and rest.

26 Responses to “Surgery Completed”

1. xpf72qon 01 May 2012 at 12:30 pm

you can do it! hang in there and the time will fly by. remember as janus so wisely says this is only temporary let your body start the healing process and you will..WILL be back running.

2. normofthenorthon 01 May 2012 at 2:40 pm

Virtually all the pain and discomfort and swelling and throbbing is DIRECTLY related to healing. I hope that helps.

3. superluminal51893on 01 May 2012 at 5:29 pm

@normofthenorth

The nerve block just wore off about 30 minutes ago. The pain is getting pretty bad. It’s much like a very deep heavy ache with some throbbing. I assume this will get worse as I progress into the night. The foot is warm and puffy, but that is to be expected. I am absolutely dreading getting up to go to the washroom. It should make for an “interesting” experience. Luckily, I was able to go before the nerve block wore off.

How long does the throbbing pain last? I was told a couple of days, with it being worse at night. I’m am on hydrocodon at the moment the pain is impressive even through that. I’m not fond of this pain medication because it makes me drowsy.

4. Xpf72qon 01 May 2012 at 6:46 pm

Comsider, for at least a few days, a bottle like an old plastic gatorade bottle next to the bed for number one night time bathroom calls I have read of others doing this.

5. superluminal51893on 01 May 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’m about 9 hours out and my toes and foot are still numb to the touch. It’s starting to worry me.

6. jenniferandersonon 01 May 2012 at 7:25 pm

I would assume the numbness is from the nerve block. I didn’t have one so I don’t know how long it takes to wear off. Take your pain pills and sleep. That’s what I did the first few days. I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but these first few days will go by faster than you think. Hang there.

7. c17loadmasteron 01 May 2012 at 7:38 pm

My nerve block wore about 3am, so 9 hours after the surgery. The pain woke me out of a dead sleep. As for my first pain med Norco I only lasted 6 days before I couldn’t take the side effects. It made me light headed, sleepy, my skin broke out in a rash which I scratched all the time and lastly major mood swings.

My toes were somewhat numb over the first ten days but never completely numb. The throbbing did go away after 3-5 days for me. After 7 days I felt nothing except at the incision point. Best of luck to you this injury really does play with you mind. So whatever you can do to keep your spirits up, Do it!! Stay thirsty my friend….

8. superluminal51893on 01 May 2012 at 8:28 pm

I am not sure what’s going on. The nerve block has to be wore off since the heel is hurting pretty bad. My toes and the part of the foot sticking out of the cast have almost no feeling. Starting to get very worried.

9. Ritaon 01 May 2012 at 9:03 pm

To: superluminal51893,

I’m 3 weeks post surgery. I also had a nerve block and was told it would last 18-24 hours.

I remember the feeling clearly. Absolutely no feeling in the leg or toes. Wiggling your toes and not feeling anything.

The block lasted a little more than 24 hrs, but based on some of the posts I’ve read - I’m very glad to have had the block - better no pain and no feeling.

Hang in there it will be better tomorrow.

10. superluminal51893on 01 May 2012 at 9:29 pm

I was told the nerve block should last no longer than 12 hours. I started getting pain around 6 hours as the block wore off. My toes and feet are still numb and tingly. The circulation is good though, no discoloration, and good warmth. Just don’t know what to make of it.

11. superluminal51893on 01 May 2012 at 11:33 pm

The numbness has subsided, but the pain has increased drastically. I’m up to due two hydrocodon pills at a time. Also, the medication is making me a tad bit nauseous. This is going to be a very rough night.

12. normofthenorthon 02 May 2012 at 12:00 am

SL, I don’t remember if I took the recommended dose of painkillers or went easy on them — I’m not big on drugs — but I do remember my leg hurting like a @$#%& for several days after the surgery on my (first) ATR. I’m not sure if this qualifies as “major surgery” in the overall scheme of things, but (a) THAT LEG definitely considers it “major surgery”, and (b) there are a whole bunch of layers of tissue that have literally been sliced apart and reassembled.

And again, just as the symptoms of a cold or flu or allergies are NOT caused by the infection/allergy, but by our bodies’ response to it, the lion’s share of your pain is caused by your body going into emergency-response mode to send healing to your leg. This kind of surgery is expected to hurt a lot, though the painkillers are also expected to help a lot. But nothing will help ease the pain as much as a few days of healing.

13. grasslakeon 27 May 2012 at 7:30 am

How are you making out now?
    I just had the same surgery two days ago. was experiencing the same numbness and pain in my foot the first night. I wish I was around to tell you laying on your stomach and elevating your foot from behind almost instantly gave relief off the wound and swelling.
    However My biggest problem is going to the bathroom or getting out of bed, as soon as I stand up its almost instant shooting pain to my foot.
    Any Advice And how much longer does this last?
    I really hope your recovery is going well.

Thanks Steve

14. superluminal51893on 27 May 2012 at 7:41 am

@grasslake

I’m making good improvements. See the rest of my blog entries, I’ve documented a lot. Pressure from having the foot down lasted a couple days for me. What type of procedure did you have?

15. grasslakeon 27 May 2012 at 2:29 pm

Not sure the exact procedure but it was for an acute rupture. I have read the rest of your posts and am grateful for this site. Awesome stuff being able to learn from other folks experiences. How long did it take you too get your blog? Is a donation mandatory to get one?

16. State champon 27 May 2012 at 5:22 pm

My son is now 2 days post-op and experienced excruciating pain the first night after the nerve block wore off. He only found relief when lying on his side, foot elevated on 4 pillows, with a pillow between his knees…and an extra dose of percocet. He made it through the first night fitfully, but was able to sleep through the night last night, only waking to take his meds. He is struggling somewhat to get up from a prone position, and uses mostly upper body strength without relying too much on even his good leg (he’s on cruthches). His biggest struggle is showering.

Best of luck to you in your recovery!

17. superluminal51893on 28 May 2012 at 4:41 am

@State champ

The first few nights are the worst, however he should be off pain meds in a couple days (I was off pain meds in 2 days). I found the most relief by stacking pillows as you suggested. For bathing, I used a plastic shower boot to cover the hard cast. If you have a detachable shower head, he should sit in the tub and use that to clean himself. Otherwise, he should just take a bath. I’m in a one story house, so I rented a knee roller to get around for the first week. Makes things easier and faster (I hate crutches). Any other questions feel free to ask. I am currently just shy of my 4th week out from surgery.

18. State champon 28 May 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for the response! I have heard of this knee roller, too, and may look into it because my son has road rash in inopportune areas that tend to reopen when he uses his crutches. Thankfully we have hardwood floors! Is there anything specific we should be aware of at the stitch removing? And if you don’t mind, what knid of activity level are you at 4 weeks out?

19. superluminal51893on 28 May 2012 at 11:45 pm

@State champ

I had my hard cast and stitches removed exactly 2 weeks after my surgery. I was hobbling around a day later. I did not use the walking boot as it irritated my scar and was very awkward. The 3rd week I was walking with limp pretty comfortably (no pressure on forefoot). I will be 4 weeks out tomorrow. Everything is doing great, the scar is healing nicely. Foot feels better every day, although still looks thick. Still no pressure on the forefoot (I’m taking it conservatively). I can drive my manual transmission vehicle now, and carefully get around various stores slowly without much difficulty. To my dismay, the surgeon wants to wait another 3 weeks to make sure the area is completely healed before I start physical therapy. He mentioned that I was taking things a bit too fast. I’ve been told I’m on track for a return to running sometime during the 2nd month, although this will depend on how well PT progresses.

Please keep in mind, your mileage may vary depending on what type of procedure your son had, and what was involved. I would listen to your surgeons advice, as I’m just giving you my experiences. Please be very careful and heed your surgeons instructions. All it takes is one bad step to put your son back at square one.

20. grasslakeon 29 May 2012 at 3:15 pm

How is recovery ? I am on day 4, off the meds yesterday. Pain is minimal I can feel some swelling or uncomfort after crutching around. Was wondering how much crutching around did you do in earlier days and is that bad idea? I have not put any weight on foot yet what so ever, just wondering if crutching around can cause damage?

Thanks Grass.

21. normofthenorthon 29 May 2012 at 3:36 pm

Grass, swelling a lot is a bad idea, and that will limit your crutching. Falling on crutches is a terrible idea. Otherwise, crutching around with your leg in the air should be fine.

22. State champon 29 May 2012 at 5:25 pm

Your recovery is astonishing! It seems so many people have such different experiences from this injury. How can the same issue cause some people to languish for months or longer, while others spring back? I want to know the trick to fast healing!!!!

My son will take his time hopefully to recover, but he is anxious just doing nothing. It’s hard to go from running 10 or more miles a day to laying in bed with little movement. I hope that when he gets his stitches out on Friday, we hear the healing has begun. Is it weird that he is getting the stitches out after one week and not longer?

23. superluminal51893on 29 May 2012 at 10:16 pm

@State champ

I’m not completely sure why some do better than others. The only differences I can think are as follows:

I was a minimalist runner before my surgery. When you run in minimal footwear, your tendons and Achilles are used in a full range of motion the way they were designed to be used. Because of this, I think I retained a lot of my flexibility and “tendon endurance” over a normal patient.

I also adhere to a strict diet. I only eat fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, lean meats, and whole grains. Everything organic if possible. No sweets. No junk food. No dairy. I’ve been eating 3-5 egg whites every other day to promote healing (egg whites are a complete protein and contain all the amino acids essential for growth and repair).

I also workout 5 times a week on my fitness tower (upper body). I’m not sure if this helps or not since it’s not cardio, but it’s been keeping my upper body in stable condition. I plan to start swimming this week.

On the stitches, I had mine removed at 2 weeks along with my hard cast. The reason they leave that on there is because everything in that cast is completely sterile from the surgical operation. It lowers the chance of infection by encasing the wound from the elements.

24. Brian Hammanon 30 May 2012 at 11:23 am

Hi superluminal51893,
    Certainly great to hear things are going well with you since your surgery! Just to clarify, it looks like you did not have a ruptured Achilles but instead had a pretty nasty Haglund’s deformity that was removed?
    Cheers,
    Brian

25. superluminal51893on 30 May 2012 at 11:50 pm

@Brian Hamman

You are correct, I did not have an Achilles rupture. I chose to do the surgery on an elective basis due to the crippling pain I endured when I tried to run.

26. Sueon 02 Mar 2013 at 3:58 am

Hi superluminal51893,
    I read though your posted message on the removal of protuding calcaneous bone that causes the pain in achilles tendon (or doctor called it Haglunds deformity).

Your infor sharing is indeed very informative as I will be going through this operation soon, 14 March 13. I am quite worried now.

I wish you could share with me more information as of how long is does it take you to really recover from it with PT and etc. Doctor told me that he I will be hospitalised for around 3 days and will be put on removable cast for 2 weeks. He also mentioned that PT can start after the 3rd week and I can go back to normal activities by week 4. Judging from what I read from your messages, 4 weeks recovery seem quite unrealistic.

Wish to get some reply from you.

Thanks