I felt it was time I posted again on the blog as my progress has been so rapid over the last couple of weeks, I thought I would get distracted by the return to my hectic lifestyle and consequently never revert to updating this.   As you can tell, the good news is that my life has pretty much returned to normal — i’m walking confidently without a limp outdoors (in the boot), and gingerly around the apartment with barely a limp (without the boot).  My newfound mobility has meant, albeit the reduction in sporting activity, my daily routine and life is similar to what it was before.

While not wanting to assume I’m on the home stretch, the rapid progress I’ve witnessed has really been due to the aggressiveness of my physical therapist.  My surgeon was somewhat conservative and had me NWB through 6 weeks, at which point he essentially ushered me off to PT and let me know I was in her hands from thereon.  Given that I am leaving for a trip to China at Week 9 1/2 mark (it’s funny to chronicle dates in weeks post operation, I know!), I felt I needed to overdose on PT if there was such a thing.  I’ve been going to PT sessions 4 times a week, an hour at a time for the last 2 weeks.  Every day, i’ve noticed an improvement in both my gait and psychological confidence.  Today, I was doing 50% calf raises and have had few issues with walking long distances around the city.

I realize progress plateaus at some point and don’t want to kid myself that I’ll be in two shoes tomorrow.  For security sake alone, I will be taking my boot with me to China… But, most importantly, I feel I have my mobility back and it’s the small successes that really make a difference.  To take a standing shower without the boot (and no cast cover) was a wonderful thing!

I’m slipping into a night splint now that I got from my PT today - she wants me to sleep with 5 degrees of dorsiflexion to keep my foot from getting lazy and tight in the mornings.  Let’s see if that works.

Continued well wishes to allow fellow recover’ers.

14 Responses to “8 Weeks, FWB and Life back to Normal (?)”

1. wubfree said:

I’d love to hear more about how week 7 was like as I’ll be NWB thru wk 6 as well. Thanks.

2. tommo21 said:

Nice work Sunny. China loves the boot, never fear! If you need any physio while in Beijing I can recommend my dude, he is great.

3. sunnyd said:

Wubfree — congrats on almost reaching the 6-week milestone! I’d say the NWB-PWB-FWB is the most uncertain transition. I foolishly did very little quad/thigh exercises on my ruptured leg up to Week 6, so when I was told to walk, naturally the leg buckled. I started using 2 crutches for a couple of days and then transitioned to one crutch for half-a-day. By day 3/4 (in Week 7), I was mobile with a limp from the straight leg walking. By day 7, some muscle had regenerated and I was walking without much problem. I have a VacoPed (which I bought myself) that I have now adjusted to 10 degrees ROM in both directions, which gives me little to no visible limp walking in the boot. I can probably walk a mile or so before getting tired at week 8. Let me know how you progress and best of luck!

Tommo — thanks for the additional Engrish posts! I can’t wait to get to China and plan to show off my boot with pride (as I assume I’ll be wearing shorts in the sweltering heat). I may just take you up on the Beijing PT if I’m feeling sore and need some kneading through all the scar tissue buildup from hiking the Great Wall! Congrats on your recovery too!

Sunny

4. wubfree said:

Thanks for the feedback. The VacoPed - what do u think? worth investing in?

5. sunnyd said:

Wubfree — good question. I am going on a 16-day tour through China so wanted something stable that I could wear on the trip. I also liked that I can wear the Vaco in the swimming pool (even if everyone looks at you like you are crazy), and the range-of-motion ability to make walking easier. They have a website worth checking out. Downside was it cost me $250 and my insurance wouldn’t cover it (even though my CAM boot essentially fell apart). I’ll let you know if it makes it through China and back!

6. wubfree said:

I’m on the website now. Is it the VacoPed or the VacoAchill?

THANKS

7. sunnyd said:

No worries. It’s the same thing — the achill just comes with attachments that allow the boot to flip into 30 degrees plantar flexion that then get removed once you get to 90 degrees. The boot both looks and acts like a transformer toy!

8. wubfree said:

Got it. Thanks. From where did you buy it?

9. african wild safari said:

Yes! He is coming to STL on the 31st of January but tickets haven’t gone on sale yet. Tickets just went on sale for the NYC dates, they should be going on sale for MO very soon. Have fun at the show!

10. Bearpaw said:

Thanks for the feedback. The VacoPed - what do u think? worth investing in?
    Thanks for informative post.

11. smkymtns said:

Bearpaw, the Vacoped has been well worth the investment.

12. Quincy homes for sale said:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

13. Peapod Coupon Code said:

It’s makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one ;) Thanks!

14. Boston condos for rent said:

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.