10 weeks - Next phase begins

Had my 10 week follow up today, was told to put the boot in the closet, add a 1/2 inch heel lift in each shoe and start physical therapy…. So just like that the next phase starts, have had no PT up to this point, just some ROM stretches and the extras I added off kkirk’s printout. I’m self imposing one more night in the boot, probably wise to stick with the boot for New Years Eve and start two shoes transition tomorrow. Was told no running for 6 more weeks but that I could swim, eliptical and bike so those things will be starting this week. I’m hoping that having no PT to this point but doing ROM on my own that once I start up PT that I’ll get right into the good stuff. PT orders are pretty generic, 2-3 times a week, set goals with my PT and be done with PT as soon as those goals are met, doc figures 4-6 weeks of PT. With those generic orders I need to make sure I pick a good physical therapist so I have narrowed my search to a practice with several therapists on staff that have worked with some of the local professional sports teams, so hopefully that leads to a good therapist.

Just like that the boot and shower chair are retired(plan on keeping the boot handy for any potential sticky situations). This is finally the point where I have to put in some real effort and how much effort I put in will dictate how soon I’m able to get back to “normal” I have that 4 month danger zone in my mind so between now and March I’m going work hard but work smart. The next phase begins….

7 comments ↓

#1 normofthenorth on 12.31.12 at 4:01 pm

Good luck, and do Watch Your Step. I think you could have lost the night-time boot weeks ago. And I’d keep the shower chair for a few days, until you’re sure you’re comfy with a stand-up shower.
I did 1x/wk PT for 10 wks or so then quit, seemed OK. Hard to know the best schedule for PT.

#2 kkirk on 01.01.13 at 4:11 pm

You are at the same point of your recovery that I am. Ill start weening off the boot this week. Good luck man and keep it safe. Neither of us is in the safe zone yet.

#3 lynneachilles on 01.02.13 at 6:41 am

Hi, although my posts are a bit behind, im trying to post as much as possible. I am now 8 weeks post op and was told i could now gently weight bear. All i have been doing with the PT at 6 weeks was core strength in my bad leg as well as some ROM exercises. According to my PT the hard work will begin at 9 weeks where she will literally force me to walk and stretch the tendon back to normal. I hope this lady knows her stuff, am really nervous

#4 soccergotme on 01.02.13 at 10:32 am

Norm, been out of the boot at night for a while, the one more night in the boot was during the NewYear’s Festivities! :-) I did leave the shower chair in for a couple of showers but I think its ready to come out. To my suprise the transition from boot to 2 shoes cold turkey was easier than the transition from NWB-PWB-FWB in the boot. I ventured out to the crocery store day one with no issues, I’m a little slower and there is a bit of a limp but just like the boot I think in a couple days as I get used to it the limp will reduce. Have to call PT and get my consult visit setup and we will go from there. Kevin and Lynne, having been to PT already atleast you guys have some familiarity with your PT and they know where you are at, basically going in now at 10 weeks I’m thinking it may start slow until they know me or it might start out gangbusters.

#5 kkirk on 01.02.13 at 1:41 pm

MY best suggestion would be to go in and talk to your PT like you already have done your research…. Thanks to Achillesblog that shouldn’t be an issue. Good Luck. I start working out of the boot at PT this week! Maybe today.

#6 Mauricio on 01.03.13 at 7:24 am

I had AT reattachment urgery 9/20, and have been in PT since 11/1, 3x/wk. In 9th wk of PT, handling minitramp, elliptical, stepper, power squats, leg press ankle stretches, step touchdowns, recumbent bike, balancing for time, and just began jumps over line. Calf raises stll cause ankle pain, and won’t run otherbthan treadmill for 1-2 weeks. Ice 2-3 Xs daily, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and PNF massaging.
I don’t think anyone can work any harder, as I am a 52 yr old athlete with no quit. Pain in ankle helped with ultrasound, icing and massage.

#7 Mauricio on 01.03.13 at 7:29 am

I had AT reattachment surgery on 9/20/12, and have been in PT since 11/1, 3x/wk. In my 9th wk of PT, I am handling well mini tramp, elliptical, stepper, power squats, leg press ankle stretches, step touchdowns, recumbent bike, balancing for time, and just began two foot jumps over line. Calf raises stlll cause some ankle pain, and I won’t run, other than treadmill, for 1-2 weeks. I ice 2-3 Xs daily, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and PNF massaging.
I don’t think anyone can work any harder, as I am a 52 yr old athlete with no quit. The pain in my ankle is helped with ultrasound, icing and massage. No easy comeback, just hard work!