All Hail The Knee Scooter

With nothing new going on before my stitches come out and my official post surgery follow up I want to give a shout out to the knee scooter!
You can definitely expect to get some looks as you wheel around in public on a knee scooter but I have to say renting one was a good call. I’m two weeks post op and have two more NWB and the knee scooter has been great. I use it in the main level of the house and at work. At home I’m able to do things like handling the dishwasher, laundry, drag out trash and recycle bins, carry my own food which are things that while possible on crutches are 1000x easier with the knee scooter. I like the help I get at home but I prefer to chip in around the house. At work it makes the distance from the parking lot to the office easy (Even with a temp handicap pass its a hike) And at the office I can get around and be productive. If you can get a knee scooter for the NWB time they are a big help. I haven’t ventured out to more public venues with it, I’m sure it would make the grocery store or the mall a heck of a lot easier but when I go along to the grocery store or other places I tend to use the crutches because I want a little bit of a workout, crutching around the grocery store or back and forth to the stadium and up and down bleachers at the football game atleast makes me feel like I’m doing some form of excercise.

9 comments ↓

#1 sheena on 11.07.12 at 11:50 am

Sounds like that scooter will help keep you sane!

#2 kkirk on 11.07.12 at 2:35 pm

I got one for my house also and I love it.
I wouldn’t of been able to cook or clean without it. It has made it possible for me to go back to a semi-normal existence.

#3 crutchesintx on 11.08.12 at 12:04 am

I got a sit down scooter for my first month. It was a life saver. It enabled me to do day to day things around the house. I was also able to go for walks/rides around the block for exercise. When I started feeling stronger I would race it around the house. :)

#4 Paul on 11.08.12 at 12:25 am

It also comes in handy first thing in the morning when that blood rush hits, just being able to get up and move with the slight bend in your leg relieves a lot of that pain.

#5 ericbabula on 11.08.12 at 9:15 am

I wish I would have rented a knee scooter when I was NWB. My daughter had a major Volleyball Tournament (picture one big, BIG convention center with 80-some volleyball courts, seating, concessions, vball store, etc.!). I crutched it all four days! It was very difficult keeping up with the vball players and parents! I did see a woman with a knee scooter, and really wished I would have gone that route! Scooter envy!

On the plus side of all the crutching, I lost a good amount of weight and my chest, stomach and arms got a pretty good workout!

#6 soccergotme on 11.08.12 at 10:34 am

Eric I hear ya, that would make for a long weekend… The scooter is making things easier to get done for sure but I have also dropped a couple of pounds so I try to make sure I still use the crutches for a workout. If it works to drop a few pounds and build some muscle why are people wasting there money on gym memberships and boot camps, just get a pair of crutches and go around the block once a day!

#7 normofthenorth on 11.08.12 at 4:03 pm

I made a lot of use of wheeled chairs, esp. in the kitchen and a non-wheeled padded footstool for kneeling at the bathroom sink. But if you’re staying NWB so long that you can seriously benefit from a wheeled walker, you’re probably on a silly old slow rehab protocol. I’d replace the protocol instead of the crutches.

Besides, when you move to PWB — only TWO WEEKS into treatment in my fave modern protocol, with or without surgery — you simply can’t do PWB while kneeling or sitting, only with crutches.

#8 rupturednurse on 11.09.12 at 2:42 am

Oh man, the wheelie is what I called it! I’m so sad to return her, she helped me survive!! Props to the scooter!

#9 darryn on 11.10.12 at 11:37 pm

I agree, yeah to the scooter. 1 week post-op and have made a lot of us of the one I borrowed. Although like you need some exercise, so went for a walk with crutches today.