Week 4

The optimism I felt from the stitches removal appointment quickly wore off. I cannot stay motivated like others can. Sitting on the couch all day watching TV and movies is making me go crazy. I’ve worked out a deal with my employer so that I could work from home. They weren’t really too pleased but I’m grateful they are allowing this. I also cannot get a decent nights sleep with this heavy log attached to my leg which I also think messed up the alignment in my back. I have never had back problems before but now my back aches constantly. Just curious to know how others handled sleeping with the log and how it affected your back. I’ve read that some people choose to sleep without it but I think I move around way too much at night to risk it.

Pic of the log.

6 comments ↓

#1 tate on 04.28.12 at 6:46 pm

I sleep on my side and put one pillow between my knees and two pillows between my feet. This has allowed to be sleep reasonably well and i fee like it keeps my spine aligned.

#2 jimminyc on 04.29.12 at 4:02 am

I also slept on my side with the boot, the pillow idea is also what I used to do. If it helps, I used to sleep on a firm pullout foam mattress in the spare room. While I missed my wife (not sure she missed me tossing and turning) it felt much better on a very firm surface, it stopped the tendency of my boot to ‘rotate’ into the mattress and that is what used to wake me up, it also helped with my back. I slept in the boot until perhaps week 6, only take it off when you feel ready I would suggest. All just thoughts, stick with it and things will start to get better before you know it. Good luck!

#3 ericbabula on 04.30.12 at 9:23 am

I couldn’t sleep with the boot. I took it off at night, slept on my back (which I don’t like), and propped my bad foot up on a few pillows, to keep it elevated. At some point, I got more comfortable, and was able to sleep on my side again, with the foot on only one pillow. I guess everyone has a different way of coping with the inconveniences of this injury.

Good luck finding the sweet spot for your foot!

#4 Janus on 04.30.12 at 9:32 pm

I slept w/ the boot off. Dr said it was ok, and I don’t toss or turn that much in my sleep. So I wasn’t loading the ankle or tendon up. You might want to think about it — but whatever you’re most comfortable with.

I also watched a lot more TV in the first few weeks than I had in the several previous months. It’s tough being relatively immobile.

As for optimism/pessimism, hey, this is going to pass. It will. You’ll have days when you might feel mentally or emotionally trapped, wondering if you’re making any progress and for how long you’re going to have to deal with X, Y & Z.

Look, one by one the wedges in the boot come out. You start PT & then get into two shoes. Once it start happening, it feels like it happened pretty quickly. So just do your best to focus on something other than the injury. To not let it define you. It’s only temporary, although on a bad day it feels permament — but it’s not.

You’ve got the rest of your daily life to attend to and manage. The ATR if you’re following any decent protocol / timeline is a problem that has a solution and clear end in sight. So don’t let it take over and mess w/ your head too much. Easy advice to give, I know. But it gets better.

All the best for you.

#5 Assisted Recovery Centers of America on 05.12.12 at 4:38 pm

this is awesome, keep up the good work!

#6 gntwagner on 07.20.12 at 11:16 pm

I don’t tuck my sheets at the bottom & after getting the cast off today, the Dr. said I could sleep without the boot. I’m planning on it! My boot looks just like yours. My frankenboot. I’m at 3-1/2 weeks. Just gotta remind myself not to jump out of bed in the morning before putting it on. When I did this to my right leg 4 years ago, the PT told me to work on core strengthening as my body was thrown out of whack by the “log”. Hope you’re up & running by now!