Has anyone gone non op twice. I have re ruptured…advice please.

Hi,

I re ruptured last night and am waiting to see the doctor next Tuesday. Back in plaster. Has anyone out there gone down the non op route twice? I don’t think it is a common thing and I will wait to see what the doctors say. I hate the thought of surgery and the unknown and the potential scar etc. Can anyone out there give me any of their experiences at all? I would be very grateful.

Normofthenorth, do you know of anyone, what are your thoughts please?

I hadn’t been over doing it but I had maybe become more complacent and walked up an incline without thinking about what I was doing as the tendon was feeling so much better…..I cannot stop reliving the moment in my head.

Don’t stop thinking about what you’re doing guys……..

12 Responses to “Has anyone gone non op twice. I have re ruptured…advice please.”

  1. Sheena,
    My orthopedic surgeon told me that one of his patients went surgical then re-ruptured and decided to go non-surgical on the re-rupture repair. Earlier on he had told me that if I re-ruptured he’d recommend putting me in a cast and starting the non-surgical repair process over again.

    In looking over your previous blog entries, I noticed that you had stumbled while in the cast and the doctor had you in a cast fora total of 6 weeks. Perhaps the stumble and length of time in the cast had more to do with your re-rupture than with you walking up the incline. Whatever the cause, hopefully you will have a smoother recovery this time no whether you go surgical or non-surgical.

  2. Sheena, there was a girl on here when I first found this blog back in March, that went non op twice. Look up “Rosethorn” to read her blog. If I remember right she re ruptured around week 13 as well, went non op a second time, reruptured again, and then went with the surgery. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery no matter which decision you make.

  3. Hi Sheena, I attempted to go non surgical with my current rupture. I went 30 days before I saw a doctor. I believe it was beginning to heal but I re-aggrevated the rupture by going swimming without thinking and pushed off to jump into the pool. I was against the surgery. I am 2 weeks post op and I am glad I did it. It hasn’t been easy but I do believe my Achilles tendon will heal well and be stronger for taking this option. I know this is not exactly what you’re asking, but I know I didn’t want to do the surgery but I am glad that I did. I know I have a long road to full recovery, but I believe strongly that I am well on my way. I pray that you find the right solution for your Achilles. Blessings!

  4. So sorry, Sheena, and all good wishes from here. Yes, we’ve had several re-ruptures here (post-op and post-non-op) who’ve gone non-op the second time. It’s hard to be sure how they did, because most of them just drifted away from here like most people. I assumed it turned out OK for them, but there’s some uncertainty in the silence.

    I’m big on scientific evidence and randomized trials, but AT re-ruptures are rare enough (Thank Heaven!), that there will likely never be any proof of what works and what doesn’t. Some surgeons seem to lean toward non-op when their repair re-ruptures, but most of the randomized op/non-op trials (including UWO) sent their own re-ruptures under the knife. I don’t think anybody knows.

    Even ATR patients who’ve had their ATs examined close-up by a surgeon, end up wondering what’s going on “in there”, and those of us who’ve been through a non-op treatment — successful or not — naturally have even more questions. I wish I could tell you what would be best for you, but I really can’t. I’d expect you to heal fine either way with a good rehab protocol, but I expected that the first time, too, and it didn’t happen.

    If you’d been “bad”, it would be easy to point at that, and suggest that you try again (maybe the same way) withOUT being “bad”. But walking up a slight hill at 12-ish weeks post-non-op, without pain, isn’t being “bad” in my books, so we’re stuck looking for another explanation, and I’ve got nothing solid or scientific, sorry.

    You pretty much know the potential downsides of either course. I know you’re gutted now, and — please forgive me now for presenting some awful scenarios that we all pray don’t happen — I don’t know if you’d be more gutted later if you went non-op and it went wrong again, or if you went for the surgery and THAT went wrong.

    Whichever course you choose, if everything turns out great (as may very well happen), we’ll all be delighted. And I assume that the odds are pretty good (though short of 100%) that things will turn out well for you. But if one of the different bad scenarios would drive you much crazier than the other(s), I think that’s a valid reason to avoid it. I hope that’s intelligible and helpful. Good luck and please keep in touch, whatever you do.

  5. Ahh Sheena that so bloody aweful, words can’t describe how bad I feel for you right now.

    I hope you don;t mind me asking - What was the circumstance around meeting the steep incline - had you been walking for some time before the event?

    I am so sorry this has happened :( and my thoughts and wishes are with you for a speedy recovery.

    Andrew

  6. Hi Sheena. really sorry to hear this. So flippin’ harsh when you were just going about your business….
    I’m at 14 weeks, non-op. I’ve had a couple of major scares along the way (from falling down stairs), and I was sure that I’d re-ruptured, at least to some degree. Fortunately, all was OK (according to scan, but not in terms of lumps, bumps and pain on the old achilles). What this prompted was some detailed discussion with the specialist around op. vs. non-op. and high vs. low rupture locations, and probability of re-rupture. I’m not sure where your re-rupture site is. Mine was around the lower area of the muscle, above the ‘naked’ tendon area that sits above the heel. He said that re-ruptures occurring after significant healing at relatively high locations sometimes occur in another area of the achilles, which is often lower down. I’m not sure physiologically or mechanically why that would be the case. Also, that non-op. on higher rupture locations was definitely his preference, as in his opinion/experience, there was no increased likelihood at all of re-rupture with non-op. I’m not sure if this helps at all, it’s just the opinion of the specialist that I saw, but he was very clear, no ‘maybes’ in there. I’m not sure whether this would be true for re-ruptures. Hopefully you’ll be able to make an informed decision, and the doctor will be able to provide some sound advice. Regardless of which way you go, I really hope that you get a good result Sheena. All the very best.

  7. Hi all,
    thanks for your support and good wishes. Norm, what would you do???

    Andrew, it was a very shallow incline, indeed it was a wheelchair access but I think I pushed off with all my weight as I, for a moment, forgot I was nursing this injury. Believe me, you know when you have re ruptured you know.

  8. Sheena, you asked on my blog and I responded there. Here’s what I wrote:
    “I’d love to tell you, Sheena, but I don’t think I know. I often discover my own preferences when forced to decide — or even the next morning, when I find I’m relieved and cheered (or not) by the decision.

    I’ve also survived a successful surgical repair on my ATR #1. A couple of days of moaning, close to a week in bed, then no complications. A tiny scar I can hardly find, a tiny attachment I can barely make wrinkle my skin. And I’ve healed short, which I was recently warned about by a Podiatrist. (See my latest blog page.)

    And I don’t think I’m half as surgery-averse as you are in general, after that ATR repair, 2 hernia ops, and open-heart surgery. So I might go under the knife, hoping to be done with it. Or I might go with my OS’s recommendation. Or I might give UWO non-op another try. I really don’t know, sorry.”

    One thing that would influence me is whether or not I thought there was a reason for the re-rupture. Like either a sub-optimal old-fashioned “conservative” non-op rehab, or over-challenging my healing AT. You’ve had a touch of both of those, but not enough to make the decision easy. If you think you gave your AT a decent “excuse” to pop, then I might try it again, working harder to do everything by the book, following the best evidence. But surgery is also a totally reasonable option, even for this non-op UWO fan.

  9. Oh Sheena. My heart goes out to you. So sorry this happened to you. Wish you the best in which ever route you choose.

  10. Hi Sheena

    Sorry to hear about your situation, I did a full rupture and went non-op then about 3 months in re-ruptured (not a full re-rupture but enough to put me back to square one in the aircast) I went non-op again and I have to say I’m glad I did. If you can avoid getting cut open it’s always a good idea and my doc was very much in the camp that there’s no hard evidence that operating was any better, and he’s a surgeon.

    What it did make me do was be over cautious - I didn’t push it very hard for nearly a full year since the first ATR - I know it’s a long time but in the end I spent 7 months in casts so I didn’t want to push it.

    You’ll get there even though it seems a long way off now. Hang in there.

    M

    http://meandmyachilles.wordpress.com/

  11. Hi Sheena, for what it’s worth it might be worth you and/or your ortho to see if following the UWO Protocol might be beneficial in your case. That’s what I have been following and managed to survive a slip into a gopher hole….something to think about.

  12. Thanks to all, I will post tomorrow with my update….

Leave a Reply

*
To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash