Recent update

Day 13 post op , day 24 post injury……

June 11th, 2008 by screwdriver

My wife and kid with me to the MD office for the first appointment after surgery - 2 weeks. I had a plaster splinth on my left leg with my toe pointing dow for two weeks so it came off - what a strange feeling . skinny leg - cant even look at first.
They sent me to X-ray to which im puzzled about / why an x-ray? maybe for more income i guess.
after which the doctor saw me - incisions look good . they sent me to the cast guy and he did put a short leg cast which goes below the knees.he had to stretch it a bit coz the doctor ordered 5 degrees of toes pointed down- compared to about 20-25 before. I had to grab something and had to cuss when he stretched it .I am still NWB at this point - cast for 4 weeks before i go to the boot and PT.
I brought the boot with me today in the md office and the doctor said to me - ” nice try but we are going for the cast” .
No matter how hard i try to comprehend that it takes patience for the healing - i always go i these spurts where i feel i could not take it - but then i rebound and able to accept it later on . Oh well - 4 weeks i hope goes fast.

Posted in Uncategorized | | |

6 Responses to ' Day 13 post op , day 24 post injury…… '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Day 13 post op , day 24 post injury…… '.

1. damacar said,

on June 11th, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I tryed to pull a fast one on my Dr also. I said I would wear a cast for 4 more weeks if I could get rid of the crutches. No deal. Had to try! I’m 35 days post op, 43 days post injury.
    Me and my ugly little “step-leg” get to go to PT on Monday. Pretty excited. I think patience is going to be a problem once I get a taste of the real life again. The last 4 weeks however, flew by. Day to day, especially weekends are long, but pretty soon you’ll start counting weeks not days.
    Hang in there!
    damacar

2. walshie said,

on June 11th, 2008 at 6:53 pm

When you get the boot things will improve considerably.

3. hoss said,

on June 14th, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Heading into my first appointment I felt great and joked with the doc that I am healed and ready to go for a run as soon as they take that darn cast off. As as they did I tried to my it a bit and realized real quick that it is very weak and painful. Your description of them stretching it out makes me dread my next appointment cuz I’m sure that is what awaits me.

Best of luck in the next 4 weeks.
    Hoss

4. drkpllrd said,

on June 16th, 2008 at 7:34 am

Screwdriver, we had surgery on exactly the same day. I ruptured my AT three weeks ago today and had surgery that Thursady and a splint was placed around the injury. I had my first post op last Friday (two weeks and one day post surgery) and the splint was removed in favor of a boot. I was surprised that a boot was given to me so early. However, my ROM already is close to the “good” foot and have no swelling or pain. Given that many folks are in casts for months, is this normal? I guess I should not look a gift horse in the mounth. Just to let you know “these boots aren’t made for walkin’” as I went for walks this weekend and developed the largest blister. I was walking as if I had on tennis shoes. As such, I am using my crutches to aleviate the pain.

My ATR occurred playing tennis, with very little pain and swelling. My rupture was complete and was very close to bone which did not allow my surgeon much room to stitch the tendon, however, he worked around it.

Man, when you get your boot, it will change your world. Make sure you take your boot with you to the next post op; I am sure you’ll get your wish.

5. jonas said,

on June 18th, 2008 at 7:27 am

Good job man. I was two weeks in the cast then the boot and PT started. It does go fast, dude. Trust me….
    I’m your age and did mine playing basketball too, so I figured that I would give you some workds of encouragement. I felt the same way after I did it, but each day is easier and once you get in the boot and start the PT, you’ll get more control back and that feels good too. I’m at 10 weeks post op today and it has gone by so fast. I’m at work right now typing this with my two shoes on. I still have a long way to go, but heck, I’m walking around in my “two shoes”.
    Take care!

6. Sean said,

on May 31st, 2016 at 8:09 am

Which DR did you go through in Tampa?