Recent update

day 11 , finally surgery ……….

May 29th, 2008 by screwdriver

to update you guys - i had my injury may 18,2008 , first doctor appt may 21 2008, second opinion may 28,2008.
Today i had the surgery at 3pm , im now home (10:00pm). Im had general anesthesia and a nerve block . I had open surgery .I have a cast right now and in my bed with my leg elevated . i have 80 tablets of percocet waiting to be consumed. my leg is numb and i cant feel anything - difficult to walk with crutches a it screws up my balance having a numb and weak leg. i have been urinating like every 10 minutes at this time ( they might have loaded me up on fluids during the surgery).
anything you guys can think of that might help me after surgery ?

Posted in Uncategorized | | |

7 Responses to ' day 11 , finally surgery ………. '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' day 11 , finally surgery ………. '.

1. kevined1 said,

on May 29th, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I didn’t get a cast until 4 days post op …different approaches I guess. Make sure you use the nerve block as long as possible. It doesn’t matter how many pain pills you have—-when the nerve block is out you will have pain. Stay close to the bathroom. I urinated about every 30 minutes for 3 straight days. I started feeling much better after post op day 3. Hang in there and enjoy the meds!!

2. jenni said,

on May 29th, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Hey Screwdriver,
    Glad to hear your surgery is done - I felt much better psychologically after my surgery, knowing that my tendon was back together, and I was on the road to recovery. Best advice I have is to elevate your leg above your heart as much as possible for the first few weeks. The cast can get tight and uncomfortable with swelling. It’s hard to lay around so much, but the time does go by. And keep reading the blog - I find it really helps to know there are lots of other people going through the same experience.
    Take care,
    Jen

3. annieh said,

on May 30th, 2008 at 1:22 am

Screwdriver,

Glad to know you are back home, if you read my blog then you will see my ‘problem’ with bladder weakness!! Embarrassing at first but then it just becomes a laugh.

Laptop computer is an essential aid to recovery in my opinion, don’t know what I would have done without it. Carried on working from home and emailed work into office.

It was a few weeks before I found this site, so your lucky to have found it early days, the help and advice on here is fantastic.

My tip, use alcahol wipes on the toes you can see then plaster them with a vaseline type cream, my Doctor is very impressed with the skin on my toes. He said most people have problems with cracking skin and when they start to walk the skin splits and can become another problem.

Annie

4. tennisjunkie said,

on May 30th, 2008 at 4:11 am

Elevation is the ticket to keeping the pain away. I also found an ice pack was helpful, even though it just provides cooling through the cast/splint.

Your pain will tell you when to pop a pain pill or two.

Every day gets a little better - good luck, we are pulling for you.

5. zurichfan said,

on May 30th, 2008 at 4:11 am

Hey screwdriver,

Just wanted to see how you were doing. You are 24 hours post-op right? I am 4 days post-op…not much pain but I am having a hard time sleeping and generally pretty BORED with the leg-up, open book or “on” tv routine. Good luck to you today!

6. screwdriver said,

on May 30th, 2008 at 7:15 am

tnx guys.

i have been elevating the leg above the heart level pretty much except when i need to tinkle. i get up and walk once in a while but my priority is the elevation at this time.
    i have 8/10 pain level and i am using the percocet pretty much but im getting constipated.
    i have a half cast- where it is molded at the back of the leg and then wraped arond by wadding and bandages.
    my incision is also high as my tear is close to the muscle/tendon junction.
    i got my laptop and tv remote at hand . ive been woring on photoshop to keep busy.i have this photography hobby thats keeping me sane working on photos i took before.
    im thining after 48-72 hours il start to get up more and put more emphasis on walking rather than elevation.

7. Doc Ross said,

on May 30th, 2008 at 9:12 am

Screwdriver..

With the rupture close to the muscle tendon junction you will have more swelling if you push too hard. You also may notice some swelling up to the knee so don’t be alarmed if that should happen. Best to elevate most of the day for the next 7-10 days.
    Show us some of you pictures when you get a chance. We always want to discuss something other than ATRs.

Slow and steady