sallycolella’s AchillesBlog

Suggestions for water exercises at 10 weeks?

October 16, 2013 · 6 Comments

Life in two shoes is good. I still limp but I am getting better. It takes a ridiculous amount of concentration to walk. I am still doing modified cross fit work outs and PT.

I am staying at a hotel for work with a swimming pool. Did people swim at this stage? Any other ideas for swimming pool workouts?

Categories: Uncategorized

6 responses so far ↓

• craiger9er // Oct 16th 2013 at 9:16 pm

I went swimming at the 3 month mark when I was weaning off the boot, into 2 shoes. I had my wife help me get into the water then walked when I could. I was in a lake and the pebbles HURT so bad as I was walking. My foot was very tender. I tried swimming and it hurt the top of my foot a bit, maybe from all those muscle stretching for the first time. I never felt any discomfort with my achilles or anything though. It’s probably not much help. I might have done some heel raises in about chest high water if I had something to hold onto.

Good luck!

• wessullivan // Oct 16th 2013 at 9:31 pm

Sally - I’ve been swimming for about two weeks now. I used a couple of the Frogman competition events as WODs: swim, exit pool, push ups, sit ups, repeat. If there’s a ledge or low wall or chairs you can modify the push ups into tri dips. There’s even the possibility of l-sits depending on the set up. I hope the scenery wherever you are is beautiful.

• kellygirl // Oct 17th 2013 at 10:22 am

Glad that the transition to two shoes is going well even if it feels slow. You are near the 12 week mark! How time flies :) If I had access to a pool and didn’t hate swimming so much, I would do water running to simulate the AlterG.

• sallycolella // Oct 17th 2013 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for the input. I will try your WOD Wes. I would do an “L” sit if I could but I can’t ;-) Pool is in lovely downtown Hartford, CT . . . I will visualize Fiji.

I did the bike instead of elliptical this morning and it seemed to work much better in terms of keeping weight completely on my heels - PT does not want me to stand or push through ball of foot yet.

• superjewgrl // Oct 17th 2013 at 9:17 pm

Sally…. Did your PT say why no pushing thru the ball of your foot? I’m curious. I’m at 12 weeks and I did the stair stepper yesterday and I felt a little weird afterwards. I know I used the ball of my foot.

Your comment on concentrating while you walk cracked me up. I just thought the same thing on the Alter G this morning. At 2.6 mph at 55% of my body weight, I was getting tired just trying to not to limp. At 44 I never thought my life would revolve around this.

Good luck!

• sallycolella // Oct 19th 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi superjewgrl - My PT said no pushing through the ball of my foot for now. I am at 10 weeks post surgery - so that might change. I will keep you posted. Happy healing. Sally

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.