After 14 weeks

Fourteen weeks after surgery that involved augmentation with my FHL tendon I am enjoying full mobility, though of course my leg is not back to full strength. I cannot do full heel raises with my “bad” foot yet, but my PT has been working me hard and my balance and gait are pretty good. It feels great to be able to get out and shovel snow (a lot of snow, here in Maine) and zip up and down stairs.

I have been using Mederma on my long scar and it seems to be eradicating it slowly. However, after a day’s activities I have considerable edema, which I have been treating with ice and elevation. No pain at all. This is a long haul, but as so many have said, it is worthwhile, for sure.

Published in: on January 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm

6 Comments

1. On January 5, 2014 at 10:00 pm otterwoman Said:

At six months I still have considerable swelling off and on. My doctor assured me that this is perfectly normal.

2. On January 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm Ron Said:

I’m sure Norm and other know more about this, but from what I understand, it takes up to a year for a full recovery, unless you are a pro athlete, who’s job depends on a quick recovery. They can also work on it 24/7 while still getting paid. LOL.

Good luck.
    Ron

3. On January 12, 2014 at 3:39 am normofthenorth Said:

Ron, we’ve even had a few folks here who were still gaining measurable strength lomg after a year post-whatever. I don’t recall the details of their rehabs. One theme of this site is that it’s a 1-year “marathon”, and that’s pretty close for most.

There’s an article online tracking post-ATR results of pro (US NFL) football players, and their average strength on followup (at least a yr later) was still <100%. Only 6-7 yrs ago max IIRC, so it’s unlikely that today’s pros are doing much better. Beckham didn’t go super-fast, as I recall.

4. On January 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm Steve Said:

Hi Sacre!

I’m at 22 weeks since surgery. We basically had the same surgery. I had FHL transfer and an additional 4 screws inserted to my heel. I ditched PT at 12 weeks because they were too conservative. At first I got discouraged because I was walking too much like a pirate. Mornings were always the worst. It took 45 minutes of stretching to even achieve pirate status. Something changed around Thanksgiving though….My calf finally started to stretch out so I could bend my left knee forward enough to walk somewhat normally. I can also do heel raises, although it does hurt a bit (not pushing the heel raise too much). Cycling and swimming are helping a ton and with the great weather here in So. Cal. this coming weekend, I think I am going to try stand up paddling in the bay. I’m really happy that you are progressing so well. Keep up the good work!

5. On January 13, 2014 at 7:14 pm normofthenorth Said:

Steve, I’m not a big fan of heel wedges in 2 shoes, but if anybody’s stuck walking peg-leg “like a pirate” I think some heel wedges are probably a good solution.

For most of us, our walking problems when we first get into 2 shoes stem more from scary lack of calf-and-AT strength (needed more as our weight moves forward over “that” foot, DFing “that’ ankle) than from actual lack of ROM = stiffness. But if the problem is lack of ROM = stiffness, I’d expect heel wedges to make it better. Of course, some things — like walking uphill — would still be a challenge.

6. On January 16, 2014 at 8:06 pm sacrebleu62 Said:

Steve, I had big gains from walking in the water and swimming. The former gives balance and confidence and the latter gives strength. It sure is a long haul, but as long as we keep getting stronger it is encouraging.