Two shoes - sort of

I had a happy appointment with the surgeon this morning. He was very pleased by the recovery of my achilles, and said I did not need the boot anymore (after 10 weeks), although he advised me to wear it when the footing was insecure (wet pavement, uneven ground) for the next three weeks.  For the last week I have been enjoying full mobility in the boot, no cane or crutches, and it seems that the progression continues. Indeed, it is a long haul, but I am very grateful to bloggers and commentators for making the route clear.

Published in: on December 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm

6 Comments

1. On December 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm normofthenorth Said:

Many of us, and many good protocols, “wean off boot” rather than going cold turkey. It makes sense IMO. The move to 2 shoes is the only milestone in ATR rehab that (initially) DEcreases mobility, since most of us can only walk slower and more asymmetrically shod than booted. Just a pothole on the road to full recovery, of course.

2. On December 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm alanweibel Said:

Congrats and good luck!

3. On December 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm Ron Said:

Nice!

Keep up the good work.

I was amazed how my injured foot forgot how to walk once I was given the OK. I am now at 13 weeks and am still working on Gait and muscle building while simultaneously stretching. It’s tough, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My friends now call me gimpy. LOL.

Congats and keep us posted.
    Ron

4. On December 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm sacrebleu62 Said:

Thanks, everyone. Actually, I had a head start. I had several weeks of PT months ago when my rupture was only partial - so had lots of work on balance, core-strengthening, and gait. Now, 11 weeks after complete rupture and surgery, I am back in PT and those exercises are really helping. I am walking more easily and naturally than in the boot, and (so far) have no heel or other pain. I am doing what the surgeon told me, even though it does differ from their published protocol. Every recovery is unique, and, reading some of the other blogs, I feel blessed to have the attention of a top surgeon and a talented PT crew. I had forgotten how much fun it is to walk down the road to pick up the mail.

5. On December 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm thelifechangingpop Said:

Excellent news. Are you wearing wedges in your shoes? This seems to be yet another contentious issue, my surgeon says wedges for 3 months the physio says no. What think you all? Jen

6. On December 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm sacrebleu62 Said:

No wedges. As I mentioned, each case is unique, but the surgeon found I had pretty good range of motion, well beyond zero. The only caution was to put the boot back if conditions were rough, which I did in snow and ice yesterday. Unlike some others, I feel pretty natural walking in light hiking boots and I am working hard on strengthening. The surgeon said to walk as much as I could. No mention of wedges by either DR or PT.