May 05 2012

ryanb

8 months - video update

Posted at 4:32 pm under Uncategorized

I’m just a little past the 8-month (post surgery) mark.

Slow steady progress. I’m still a ways from 100%, but the strength continues to improve, and I can’t think of any activity that the injury would dictate I should avoid. I’m just not as strong or as fast as I should/could be, and there is still a strength deficit on my right side. I’ve been training pretty hard (a lot more cycling) the last couple of months, and am finally starting to see signs of some fitness returning.

Dorsiflexion is a mixed bag. With my legs straight - stressing the Gastrocnemius muscle - I am now more flexible on my right side than my left. Unfortunately, I think that’s because I heven’t quite fully recovered from the ski crash (Jan 24 blog entry) on my left side ;-). With my knees bent - stressing the soleus muscle - I most definitely hit the limit on the right side first.

I *still* get swollen sometimes; in fact just yesterday, I was swollen after a hard inline skate session.

Happy healing everybody.

6 responses so far

6 Responses to “8 months - video update”

1. alion 05 May 2012 at 7:15 pm 1

Cool - love the video. Your balance and spring are amazing.

2. ultrarunning316on 06 May 2012 at 3:58 am 2

Pretty Radical!!! Awesome work out!

3. Xpf72qon 06 May 2012 at 9:16 am 3

Jist amazing incredibly inspiring!

4. Brian Hammanon 23 Jun 2012 at 11:29 am 4

Nice video, ryanb, looks like a serious athlete! When were you able to start jumping? Also, when were you able to do a right legged heel raise? Is your right calf muscle back to about the same circumfrance as your left?
    Thanks,
    Brian

5. ryanbon 23 Jun 2012 at 1:16 pm 5

Was first able to do single heel raises just inside of 12 weeks:

Calves are close to the same size- almost within measurement error (half a cm or so: ~39.5 vs. 40cm). But, there is still a visible difference in shape; at least to my eyes. I don’t think you would notice it if you weren’t looking for it though. I’ll post some pics soon.

6. Brian Hammanon 25 Jun 2012 at 12:28 am 6

Funny, my calves were the same as yours prior to the ATR except the right one was 40cm and the left was 39.5cm. Now the left is still 39.5cm, but my right is only 38cm and obviously still has a long ways to get back normal. I feel confident that the running and heel raises/calf presses will help get me back there in the next month or two but we will shall see…