Jan 24 2012

ryanb

Don’t do THIS:

Posted at 9:31 pm under Uncategorized

Shot this video with my helmet cam today. I figured it would be wince inducing for my fellow Achilles sufferers. Amazingly, my injured (right) side is OK. I go see the doc tomorrow to figure out how bad my left side is hurt (tore something at the *top* of my left calf muscle).

15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Don’t do THIS:”

1. mljackson60on 24 Jan 2012 at 9:49 pm 1

Ouch. I’m sorry. I hope it isn’t too bad. I started this whole thing with a grade 2 tear in my right hamstring.

2. normofthenorthon 26 Jan 2012 at 1:49 am 2

Off to Whistler in a couple of days. I’ll try not to do THAT — and a few other “pilot errors” I’m also quite capable of doing. . .

3. ryanbon 26 Jan 2012 at 10:16 am 3

Doc says strained and/or partially torn medial head of my Gastrocnemius. That’s good news: no torn ligaments or tendons. I’ll be sore for a while, but nothing that can’t heal on it’s own. I remember him mentioning something about taking it easy… perhaps that I was susceptible to this because I’ve been taking it too easy. Yeah, that was probably it.

Doc is a skier, and agreed- kissing your ski tips is generally something to avoid in downhill alpine gear (heels locked down to the ski).

4. housemusicon 26 Jan 2012 at 3:34 pm 4

Ugh…seems you put those Achilles tendons through a test.
    Did you feel the tendon and calf stretch to the point of pain?
    I guess this could have caused you to rupture your “good” Achilles, though perhaps the boot is holding you in place so the grastrocnemius took all the force.
    Keep us posted.

5. ryanbon 26 Jan 2012 at 4:45 pm 5

Felt them both stretch to the point of pretty severe pain… then the left side snapped/popped. For a while, I was concerned that the left Achilles may have ruptured. The pop was “different”, and the ankle didn’t feel terribly unstable (I ski’d down); but I wasn’t sure if that was just because it was locked into and supported by the ski boot.

Got to the car, got the boot off, and was very relieved to feel an intact Achilles. Sensation of the pop was much higher, almost in behind the knee, near where the gastrocnemius ties into the femur. Left side Achilles, calf, and hamstring are all still a bit sore, but the real damage seems localized at the top and inside of my calf.

Both Achilles were a bit sore for a day or so. But neither seems to be suffering any longer term bad effects. Still hard to figure out how the ruptured Achilles survived. I guess at ~5 months, it really is quite strong.

6. housemusicon 26 Jan 2012 at 6:42 pm 6

Next time the bunny runs ;-)

7. doryton 27 Jan 2012 at 11:38 pm 7

OMG Ryanb. Wow sorry to see your post about your injury and great news it was not your not Achilles. I’ve been at awe reading your blog and amazed about your progress and how active you have kept. I am really active too but I have taken the conservative approach and it drives me crazy. By the time I get caught back up after my skin graft I will be 8 weeks behind. So go ski some moguls for me!

8. kathywon 29 Jan 2012 at 1:29 am 8

That sounds so scary to me…I’m glad it wasn’t a rupture and hope that the muscle will soon heal. Be well…

9. rosethornon 30 Jan 2012 at 2:35 pm 9

Ryan! I’m so glad you didn’t rupture your “good” Achilles. My rupture started out with a lot of pain and cramping in the lateral head of my gastrocnemius, an area I am still conscious of sensation-wise. You truly have no fear, my friend!

10. ryanbon 30 Jan 2012 at 3:14 pm 10

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. Injured calf is doing well- right now, I’d say my two legs are about equally compromised.

At times this week, it’s almost been comical… figuring out which leg to favor in various situations. I was hoping for a 2 week recovery; doc thought it would be 6. After only 1, I feel better than expected. I felt like I could maybe ski again yesterday; but SHMBO said no-way (still pretty swollen). Clearly, I’m not 100% yet, but I’m restarting all of my exercises and rehab today; I think it will be good for both legs. I even plan to go test drive it out on the ice again tonight.

PS: That WAS the bunny run! :-)

11. Phil Kirkon 01 Feb 2012 at 3:33 pm 11

It pains me to watch that, ski boots and motocross boots were never designed so that you can look at the bottom of them while still wearing them. I wish you well in your recovery, although it sounds like your quite physically flexible to be thinking of going back to it after just a week.

12. shootingthebreezeon 08 Feb 2012 at 8:10 pm 12

Ouch indeed fella, hope it fixes up fine.
    We have had some snow here so sledging was on like donkey kong …. We have a toy snowboard with straps on that you just slip your feet into (much like on my windsurf boards) but luckily I found my moon boots which were far too big to fit the straps meaning I safely avoided almost certain injury and embarrassment ;)
    Better still, the snow is thawing (no ski resorts handy so not really any use for snow other than to bring region to a standstill) so I can look forward to returning to the water ASAP :)
    Speedy recovery

13. jjnisson 15 Feb 2012 at 5:05 pm 13

Ouch! Well it’s more than an ouch.

While playing tennis I had a similar injury some 5 years ago. Was back on the courts after 3 weeks, heavily taped. Basically a waste of time since I could not move very effectively. Took another 3 weeks for my calf to feel right and even then I had to get over the mental hurdle of injuring it again.

It was my right calf muscle, same side that I eventually tore the achilles (while playing tennis). Probably not a coincidence.

Your enthusiasm and unwillingness to give any quarter to injury is fantastic but you’re still recovering. Quickly yes but tendons take up to a year to fully heal (you’ve said so yourself!) and at that not quite function the same way as they did pre injury.

And just want to say I’m very jealous of the powder! Here in the east we don’t see much of that, lots of wind and ice though.

14. ryanbon 20 Feb 2012 at 12:29 pm 14

So, it’s been almost a month. Doc’s estimate of 6 weeks now seems about right. I’d say I’m 80% recovered from this little injury. In another 2 weeks, I expect it will be fully recovered- but I’ll probably have to be a little careful with it for a while. Left side has fully re-established itself as my “good” side though :-)

15. peteryon 14 Jul 2016 at 10:49 am 15

Hi all,

I am a new member of the club. 17 days post op. I was wondering if some of the long term members can help point out some of the blogger who managed to regain the size and strength of their injured leg to pre-injury level or the same as the uninjuried side.

I considered ryanb, peter, doug53 have the best success stories so far.