Aug 03 2008

5 Months Post Op………1 leg calf raise..about time

Published by ross at 2:08 pm under Pictures

Hard to believe its 5 months.  Feel as though everything has been going better than expected.  No pain, no swelling, no limp.  Measured my calves, ATR 15 7/8      Non-ATR 16 5/8   Just under an inch difference which explains no stamina with running and muscle ache with long distance biking.  Can finally do a ATR calf raise, albeit not very high as compared to my Non ATR but its up.  Just need more time.

Now I don’t feel as though my constant thoughts are on my leg.  Doing everything I want and concentrating when on hills and wet surfaces.  Golfing, riding, running and sticking with the game plan.  Hard to do at times but setting a goal of returning to competetive racquetball by January is important.  Actually trying to find an off road tri to do also.  Anything to keep me motivated.

Here are recent pictures of my leg.  Incision, 2 legged lift and one leg lift.  Not pretty but thats what I have to work with.  Reading your posts regularly but it appears that everyone is taking very good care of each other.  I am always available to answer questions as my back ground affords me information that not everyone is privy too.

Curious if anyone past 5 months notices that the medial gastroc is less developed and seems to lag behind the lateral head???  Wondering if that is an individual component of surgery or a genereal consensus.  Appreciate your insight.

Thanks to Dennis for the site, his hard work and T-shirt.  I’ll post an action picture to add to the gallery.

Doc Ross

13 Responses to “5 Months Post Op………1 leg calf raise..about time”

1. mattson 03 Aug 2008 at 3:00 pm

Doc,

I wish I was at the one-legged calf raise stage. At three months, could you still feel that tighness back there? I am walking almost without a limp but it still seems to just be very tight back there still. I thought I almost could do a one legged calf raise a week ago, but I still can’t. I was told that you should be able to do a single leg calf raise before I start to run, is that accurate? I have seem to hit “the plateau of progression” that all of us hit. I keep wishing this thing would just be better one day and I could just start jogging again. I am cleared to go back to work on Monday, I sure hope I am (Mentally and Physically) ready..

2. rosson 03 Aug 2008 at 4:31 pm

Matts..

First things first….girlfriend status???

I have checked on when to do what during recovery and could not find anything on when to run, how long it should take to do a calf raise, etc. IMO everyone goes at different paces depending on their motivation and perserverance.
    Tightness comes and goes with me… are you getting massaged, I mean your calf…dog, it really helps with the soreness. Heat and stretch as much as possible.
    Set a goal and you will be surprised that you will reach it.

keep up the good work

Doc Ross

3. mattson 03 Aug 2008 at 7:56 pm

Doc,

Everything is running smooth on the girlfriend front. She has been a big help and she helps me all the time. It will be nice when she sees me when I am 100% sometime in the future. No calf massages yet, she does this crazy sort of stretching of the foot that makes the tightness go away for awhile. Pretty cool stuff. Once I get my shirt, I will take her picture with it on, I am sure you rather see her on here then my uglu mug..haha Thanks for the good info, I see that you were running at 3 months and 1 week into this thing. I am going to try next week and see what happens. PT woman says “Hi”, she likes to read what you and Walshie have to say about her.

4. dennison 03 Aug 2008 at 8:42 pm

Doc Ross - Glad to hear that your Achilles is recovering nicely. It’s great that you have no pain, no swelling, no limp! I have a slight limp some times, and it’s due to the soreness around the heel area that hasn’t quite gone away. I think it’s the area where the Achilles tendon attaches to the heel.

I am approaching my 6 month mark, and I can pretty much do everything, but have stayed away from ball sports: (basketball, tennis, volleyball..)

The recovering calf muscle is still slightly smaller, but it’s not very noticeable. I can do one legged calf raises, but I do feel some soreness around my heel. Anyone else have this problem?

5. johnkon 03 Aug 2008 at 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

I am just short of a full one leg calf raise, still getting a bit of support whilst I push up, but it’s almost there.
    Dennis I get the pain around the injury area also, but I am putting that down to the healing still taking place more than anything sinister.
    PT for me has just reached running on the treadmill and I feel that this is where I will find it a bit of a struggle, never having been a runner before the injury.

Johnk :)

6. damacaron 04 Aug 2008 at 9:14 am

Nice work Doc! I haven’t tried calf raises yet but did notice I was off the ground with the ATR foot the other day reaching for something. It may have only been 2mm but my foot was off the ground! I’m hoping that I don’t have problems from lack of PT. My range of motion is good, doesn’t hurt to stretch but most of my pain is from my ankle. Is this common or am I feeling an old injury? I have two screws in the ankle from a fracture 17 years ago. I have an Ortho appt today, but wanted to get your opinion.

Congrats Matts! Hopefully we’ll be running soon!
    P.S. Some of us would rather see YOU in the t-shirt, not the GF.
    =)

7. Doc Rosson 04 Aug 2008 at 11:43 am

Damacar,

Sounds like that ankle has taken a beating….As is previous posts the mechanics of the ankle are permanently altered. This changes how the stress on the screws and can lead to some discomfort, usually with time (how much..no idea) this will decrease. Have the surgeon look at the area of pain and see if it is related to the screws. Hopefully not and just growing pains..

Hope all is well, let me know what the MD says.

We are one day closer to the end.

Doc Ross

8. Doc Rosson 04 Aug 2008 at 11:44 am

Damacar,

Sounds like that ankle has taken a beating….As in previous posts the mechanics of the ankle are permanently altered. This changes the stress on the screws and can lead to some discomfort, usually with time (how much..no idea) this will decrease. Have the surgeon look at the area of pain and see if it is related to the screws. Hopefully not and just growing pains..

Hope all is well, let me know what the MD says.

We are one day closer to the end.

Doc Ross

9. Jimon 04 Aug 2008 at 5:51 pm

Nice update Ross,

I am 5 months yesterday, August 3rd. I have the exact same complaint with the medial gastroc, it just doesn’t seem to want to go with the program. I thought the entire muscle would start to get stronger as a unit, but for me it seems the strength is returning like a slow wave. It’s a bit hard to describe. The positions of the foot that seem to be strong are right next to ones that are weak, and the muscle doesn’t seem to ‘kick in’ until you hit the right position. For instance, with my leg straight, knee locked, it’s very difficult to put pressure on the ball of the foot with my foot in front of me, imagine wiping up some spilled water off the floor with your sock on. I posted this site before, but it gave me some insight into how the gastroc really works.

Seems that the gastroc only really kicks in with the leg straight, and in eccentric motion, such as shock adsorption when hopping. I’ve tried to apply this to some exercises and it seems to be working. I can stand on the edge of a curb and raise myself with the ATR leg until my foot is horizontal, but just can’t get that heel up off the floor yet. I’m working breakless 12 hour shifts on my feet, and both heels hurt at the end of the night. I wear compression socks though and no swelling with them.

10. Jimon 04 Aug 2008 at 6:34 pm

Forgot to mention. It also feels like the outside of my foot/heel does most of the work. After a long time on my feet my foot feels like it’s ‘rolling’ to the outside, and is sore on the outside. I wonder if this is because my medial gastroc is the weakest part of my calf now.

11. walshieon 04 Aug 2008 at 6:42 pm

Doc your good calf is ripped, and the bad one doesnt look that small really. Nice work on the calf raise.

I was asked today at PT to do: 1. Try walking on my toes and 2. Try a single legged calf raise.

Negative on both…not even close. It feels better but like Matty said its progressing so freakin slow.

…oh and the worst part? I’ve got to play a 10-15 yd fade since I’m having trouble releasing my right side. I hate seeing the ball move left to right. Cant stand it. Hate it. Drives me up a wall.

So not only has this damn injury screwed up my entire 08 golf season it has turned my reliable draw into a weak-ass, high and ugly cut. Damn you Achilles!!

Thanks for the update…have you been to Barona Valley Ranch? Theyre on the ATROpen short list. I feel like the dude who picks where the Olympics are every 4 years…Vegas is still leading, slightly.

12. brendanon 05 Aug 2008 at 2:15 pm

Doc -

Looking good. Glad everything is progressing nicely. You’ve been working hard on this thing, and it is definitely showing.

Cheers!

13. m3521on 25 Aug 2008 at 8:13 pm

Doc,

thanks for your posts, i have found them to be most helpful. I am 3 weeks post-op in a boot. Got some decent flexiblity, i am comfortable at 15 degrees plantar. Taking salt baths and streching out the achilles (without pushing it) I got a massage this weekend and she worked the ankle/achilles and it felt great. Really helped with blood flow.

Anyways, any suggestions? I am a competitve soccer player and I understand sports injuries and there rehab. I am not gonna be stupid although i can’t sit around and not be proactive on treatment. I have been under sports chiro care for a few years. He is a triathlete as well and does graston massage, laser and ultasound. Do you think it is too early to start the laser and ultrasound to help break up the scar tissue and stimulate healing??

Let me know and thanks for your research

-Mario