Jun 03 2008

3 Months Post Op

Published by ross at 12:37 pm under To The Future....

Time goes so fast.  Just yesterday I heard the “POP” and life was about to change.  To date I feel as though everything has been flowing steady, progressing and making sure that I practice what I preach.  Rehab has been going well, actually starting to jog on the treadmill.  Recently I was on the treadmill jogging, walking backwards, side stepping and doing crossovers when a woman asked me if I was a dancer.  LOL…almost fell off the treadmill laughing my ass off.  I guess that’s a good sign that at least I looked coordinated enough to illicit that response.  Also started to mountain bike but have no strength to feel comfortable on a moderate to difficult course, so for now just sticking with paths and fireroads.  Did a 20 mile ride and felt tired at the 15 mile mark but no pain.  Walked 18 holes on June 1st and although fatigue set in at the 16th hole I played well and actually noticed that the injury has helped my swing.  Was a natural forward weight shifter and due to not feeling strong and stable on the ankle was able to keep my weight back and hit it further than last year a few times.  Pretty exciting, but hell couldn’t I have just taken a lesson.

Back to normal at work, patients inquire about how I am doing, staff still concerned but overall doing well.  No limp to speak of except late in the day.  Still sticking with the program that got me to this stage.

Home life is rather uneventful- back to mowing the lawn, cleaning and fixing.  Able to get up and down stairs with no problem and there have been days that I felt 100%.

The ankle is pain free, tight at times and the swelling comes and goes depending on activity.  My heel will be sore once in awhile, with the altered biomechanics I am sure that I am striking my heel in a different spot than pre rupture.  Based on this I will be fitted with new orthotics.

So overall I am pleased with where I am.  My main focus now is on strengthening the calf and making sure no compensatory problems arise from the altered gait.

So to all that are following in us veterans footsteps, listen to the surgeon, follw the PTs instructions, read the blogs and comments and before  you know it…you too will realize………..time flies.

We are one day closer to the end

Doc Ross

19 Responses to “3 Months Post Op”

1. tennisjunkieon 03 Jun 2008 at 1:06 pm

Great post! Thanks for reminding me that life does return to normal. I am so hoping to play golf, cut the lawn, get on treadmill — it is starting to feel like it is not so very far away.

2. brendanon 03 Jun 2008 at 2:05 pm

Ross - great news..sounds like things are going well for you. I’m still a month or so behind you in my protocol, but I feel great as well. Maybe we need to start blogging about mowing the lawn! :) Ahhh..that’s not as interesting as AT ruptures. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the coorespondance through this thing.

3. walshieon 03 Jun 2008 at 2:31 pm

Doc,
    Is it weird that I wish I could mow my lawn? I hate mowing the lawn, think its a waste of time..but damn it’d be good to do it right now.
    You were actually pioneering the new “Stack and Tilt” swing that Baddelley and the boys are using now…the reverse pivot is now en vogue.
    I was told no tournaments til September. I literally almost cried when the doc said that. Well not really but..
    Good luck on your continued recovery.

4. Tomon 03 Jun 2008 at 3:05 pm

Ross - I continue to be amazed with your recovery. All your hard work is definitely paying off. Congrats on the continued success.

5. rosson 03 Jun 2008 at 3:33 pm

Walshie…

Thanks for the comment..Hate the reverse pivot..too much strain on the back…leads to visiting the chiropractor.

Have my first tournament in 2 weeks. A summer solstice..54 holes in one day…individual stroke play…fun way to get back into competitive play.
    Where are you located??

Doc Ross

6. dennison 03 Jun 2008 at 4:11 pm

Ross - It looks like your recovery is progressing really well, and the hard work/rehab is paying off. That motivates me to be more consistent with my PT. :) Thanks for your post.

7. walshieon 03 Jun 2008 at 5:40 pm

54 Holes? Wow, what an event.

I am at Cape Cod National Golf Club in Brewster, Ma.

One way to stop a reverse pivot is to walk-through your follow-through like Gary Player does sometimes. As you complete your swing walk your right foot over your left (I’m assuming you are right-handed). This also helps stop the quick hook. That might help.

8. zurichfanon 03 Jun 2008 at 10:54 pm

A very inspiring post for someone who is one week post-op. Congrats and THANK YOU. It really helps!

9. johnkon 03 Jun 2008 at 11:05 pm

Ross,
    Congrats on the 1/4 mark recovery.

I can relate to all of your points as I am 2 weeks in front of you datewise and echo your points to those who are still behind us and those who, unfortunatelty, may still join us in this club.

Keep working hard :)

Johnk

10. mattson 04 Jun 2008 at 8:32 am

Doc Ross-Conrats on your amazing recovery! I hope to follow in your shoes. I have a couple of questions. Day 29 will be my first PT session and my insurance will cover 100% until July 1st. Should I pursue PT everyday since my insurance will cover it? My doctor says 3 times a week but he was unsure that I was covered a 100% for the PT. I didnt know if you can over PT yourself. Secondly, for my job as a State Trooper, I would like to go back to work as quickly and safely as possible. Do you think at this stage in your recovery that you could safely plant off of your foot and have your achilles stay intact still? Just curious, everybody heals differently but I was just trying to figure out if I should take extra healing time to make sure that I wouldnt re-rupture should I have to take a quick step backwards-Thanks Matt

11. rosson 04 Jun 2008 at 9:46 am

Matts,

Glad to hear you are heading to PT. IMO you can do something everyday regarding PT. You just don’t want to do the same thing each day. Best to break things up. I did the PT thing 3 times per week–stretching, EMS, US and Laser. The other days I walked on treadmill for 5 minutes based on Dennis’ blog, walked in the pool, massage, ROM, etc.
    At this stage..3 months..I feel confident walking, but not running or doing a calf raise on the ATR. I don’t feel it will rupture but no strength. As a trooper I would suspect you may need to run at times and that may be a struggle for you and a safety issue. Or perhaps shoot first and run later..
    Let me know if you have any other questions. I am in the process of starting to jog on the treadmill at a 10 min pace for a mile…no strength and therefore no endurance.

Good luck

Doc Ross

12. mattson 04 Jun 2008 at 10:45 am

Doc Ross-Thanks for the great information! My ankle is very stiff and my calf looks non-existent at this point, but my doctor is pretty conservative and just wanted the tendon to heal. No complaints from me since I have made the transition from cast to boot 2 days ago. I guess for my job I am just going hope for a October 1st return. I have some major training in late September that requires lots of reactive movements and I am concerned I may not be ready, guess I will just have to wait and see. Thanks Again-Matt

13. Brion 05 Jun 2008 at 7:00 am

Ross,
    I loved your “s’car smoking” comment - I was laughing out loud. I tried to explain it to my husband but he didn’t quite see the humor. I guess it’s an Achilles thing.

Anyway… I’m wondering what you think of flip flops as general footwear? My mom heard on the radio that they lead to Achilles problems so I started researching. Basically the problem is two things: 1) not enough arch support and 2) your toes have to grip the shoe to keep it on your foot.

My problem is - I love wearing flip flops. Am I destined to be strapped into my shoes forever? I’m interested to hear what you think, especially since you said the company you get your orthotics from makes flip flops.

14. mattson 09 Jun 2008 at 4:02 pm

Doc Ross-I am experiencing alot of cramping in my calf while walking in the boot. I only have been walking in the boot since last Thursday. It is a very intense cramp feeling but only in my calf. My AT has no pain at all, just that tightness. Did you experience anything similar? Thanks-Matt

15. rosson 10 Jun 2008 at 4:02 am

Matts..

totally normal..if you read my blog you will see what types of therapy I was doing when I got into the boot. the cramp is actually just the muscle starting to wake up. You are at the point where you can start massaging, walking in the pool and PT. The more you do now (slowly and carefully) the better you will be sooner.
    Just a note I am walking without a limp, doing 10 minute miles, working out 4-5 days per week and golfing at 3months 1 week post op.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Doc Ross

16. mattson 10 Jun 2008 at 11:20 am

Thanks Doc for the great information again and support!

17. rosson 10 Jun 2008 at 4:49 pm

Matts,

Ask the PT or your MD for a compression stocking, that will help with the swelling. Realize that it takes 6-12 months for the lymph system to repair itself. So be prepared for swelling on a regular basis. I have checked into nutrition, exercises, etc to speed up the process but alas nothing….just mother nature and time.

Doc Ross