May 15 2008

10 Weeks Post Op

Published by ross at 8:15 am under Post Op visit

10 week post op visit

time goes slow the first couple of weeks but now……..

Follow up appointments are so surreal now…walking in, seeing others with crutches, boots, casts and thinking I was just there..

Scene 1:  surgeon feeling ankle, moving it arround, saying ahhh,,,ohhhhh, not looking patient in the eye.

Surgeon:  ” You are ahead of schedule, doing great”
Me:           ” I bet you say that to all your patients”
S:              “No, I’m serious”
Me:           ” So now what”
S:              ” Start easing back to normal life”
Me:          ” hike 10 miles??racquetball??, running??, golf ??, mountain biking??”
S:              ”  Oh……that’s not a normal life!!”
Me:           ” for me it is……so then what can I start to do??”
S:           ” definitely golf, jog light, and increase calf strength”
Me:       ” Some swelling at times , should I be concerned??”
S:          “No it will take 6 months to a year for new blood vessels, lymph chains to be repaired so you will experience periods of swelling depending on your activity level”
Me:      “so do I need to see you again”
S:          ” yes but only on the golf course, you owe me a round or two for the great work I did”

So there you have it, time to get back to an easy, light normal life.  Will start to jog and increase weight load on leg.  Curious as to how long it takes to actually do a one legged calf raise??
that’s my next goal.  In the beginning it was goals like surgery, cast off, boot off, NWB to PWB to FWB, then two shoes and now a one legged calf raise.  Set dates of June 1 for walking 18 holes, July 1 for a mountain bike ride, Sept 1st for an 8 minute mile and January 1, 2009 to step on the racquetball court and play.

Excited about my trip, this Saturday to the Canyon so I’ll have pictures of an ATR on the Colorado river, soaking in the sun and loving life.  thanks for everyones support, encouraging words, and insight on this chapter of my life.  Will report back in 2 weeks so keep up the fight…and
never, never, never……give up………Winston Churchill

Doc Ross

13 Responses to “10 Weeks Post Op”

1. Tomon 15 May 2008 at 8:26 am

Doc Ross- Thanks for the update. The dialogue with the surgeon was great to read. I’m curious about the 1 legged calf raise as well. It seems like I’ve read on other blog sites that it can take anywhere from 4 months - 8 months post op. I still can’t do it at 18 weeks post op. I can do them pretty comfortably in waist deep water, but I think it will be a few more weeks before it happens on dry land.

Have a great time on your trip. Be careful and watch your step, but don’t forget to look up and embrace the beauty of the canyon. And, the river should be a great ice bath for the tendon when you’re done with the hike. Cheers!

2. craigon 15 May 2008 at 9:03 am

Doc Ross,

Great post. Inspiring indeed.

Quick question, do you think your experience with ATR and all of the posts by various users has affected how you will build and maintain a doctor / patient relationship?

Best of luck to you on your hike. I anxiously await the pictures!

Craig

3. dennison 15 May 2008 at 9:20 am

Doc Ross -

Congrats on a really positive post-op visit. Have a great trip, and be sure to post pictures!

I hope to go back to Grand Canyon in a year or two and do all the things that I didn’t get to do on my first, brief visit. :)

4. davelefton 15 May 2008 at 10:02 am

Doc Ross-

Congratulations! Very inspiring indeed. And on the day when my goal is to take out the trash to the dumpster on my own. Trash today, basketball tomorrow! Maybe not tomorrow but I am inspired.

Have a great trip.

dave

5. Jimon 15 May 2008 at 10:14 am

Awesome Ross,

The weather is just starting to heat up around here so it should be perfect without being too hot. As for the one legged calf raises, I’m 10.5 weeks out and SORE today. I can, according to my precisely calibrated bathroom scale, max out at about 120# before it starts to hurt too much, thats better than the 25# I started with though. Have a great trip.

6. Doc Rosson 15 May 2008 at 11:35 am

Thanks to all for the comments.

As a side note….there is a make a donation tag on the website..
    If you feel like me that this site is an asset then click on it and send Dennis some loving and thanks. It takes time, a lot of time to put this site together, keep it going and from reading all the posts, blogs and comments is a wealth of information.

Thats my commercial.

Off to hike…

Doc Ross

7. johnkon 15 May 2008 at 12:55 pm

Ross,

Great news and well told.

Enjoy your trip this weekend.

Johnk

8. brendanon 15 May 2008 at 7:18 pm

Ross - I’m proud of you pushing it a little and a little jealous at the same time! I’m limping around the house in a shoe and heel wedge tonight for the first time…couldn’t imagine a hike..but you have been working it for 4-5 weeks now, so I’m sure it’s good to go. Have a great time..you can get a Fat Tire in Arizona…so if you’re at a restaurant or bar, order one up.

Cheers!

Brendan

9. johnskieron 15 May 2008 at 8:30 pm

Doc Ross - thanks for the inspiration. I think there is a lesson or two to be learned from your e stim, massage, ultrasound, etc. that you did based on your knowledge as a chiropractor. Have a great time at the Grand Canyon; I would suggest that while you’re doing incrediblly well, I (respectfully) suggest that you’ve had an injury and be careful of uneven surfaces, rocks, etc. Safe travels!

John

10. fwbon 16 May 2008 at 12:16 am

[...] [...]

11. walshieon 12 Jun 2008 at 7:31 pm

Doc would this device speed healing?

12. rosson 13 Jun 2008 at 6:01 am

Walshie,

First thought when I see something like this is “Do NO Harm”, this device meets that…no side effects, or chance of hurting yourself. 2nd is Is there any major benefit?…based on the low frequency setting it is primarily for pain relief, so if you are taking OTC meds to help decrease discomfort than the product can help ease you off meds…definitely a good thing. As for increasing healing efficiency, IMO…no.

As an aside, back to the golf course for the last 2 weeks and am playing better than ever. 73 from the tips at my course, 7100y, hitting it better as I can’t slide onto my ATR which has kept my weight back. told my wife I should of cut my AT years ago…LOL.
    Now I just might start a nationwide seminar tour on how to literally “cut” your hcp down by a few strokes. or perhaps a home kit/infomercial.

Keep up the good work.
    How are you???

Doc Ross

13. walshieon 13 Jun 2008 at 2:06 pm

Good round doc, I am soo jealous. Mine was the right AT so Im not sure how thats going to affect my swing. We shall see.

I am doing ok. To be honest there seems to be some regression lately. I have been back at work 6 days a week, about 6-7 hrs a day. I’m on my feet most of the time teaching and as the day progresses I feel more and more discomfort. It swells up only moderately but the pain is pretty evident.

I do 80% of my teaching from Memorial Day thru Labor Day and it represents almost a third of my annual income so I just have to be out there, I have no other option. The most pain comes from the bottom of my heel, where most of the weight goes. The boot is not very comfortable. I have tried gel insoles, 2-3 socks, inflating it really tight, letting all the air out and wearing it loose…nothing really helps except getting off of it.

I have my 3rd post op appt in 2 weeks and I hope he tells me to go to 2 shoes and start PT but I’m not sure.

I know I’m pushing it..I just hope its up to the task.

Thanks for the info.