Apr 24 2008

7 week Post Op (#4 )

Published by ross at 6:23 am under Post Op visit

Time for…(drum roll)…..Two shoes…..yes I wrote two shoes.  Had my post op visit yesterday 7 weeks from day of surgery.  Went in had the whirlpool for 10 minutes, ultrasound for 3 minutes then saw the surgeon.  Checked movement, range of motion, swelling and integrity of tendon.  ROM was full in dorsiflexion and plantarflexion with some mild restriction in inversion (probably from swelling around ankle).  Was given two braces for support. One was basically a compression sleeve for swelling that looks like a stocking and goes about mid calf.  The other is for the office, and my trip to the Grand Canyon.  It gives a lot more support around the ankle and tendon.  This is for prevention in case of any slips, falls or stupidity (most likely).  Will get a picture up for you to see.

Exercises are to increase in frequency and intensity.  NO weights at all for two weeks.  Full range of motion exercises with tubing in both eccentric and concentric contractions.  Start on proprioception (balance exercises) which is on the wobble board, etc.  Biking, swimming, walking to be done as much as possible, daily hopefully.  Based on the fact that he lengthened the gastroc in addition to the tendon repair I should expect muscular soreness and tenderness over the muscle.  Sounds like more massages for me :)  When asked about golf he said to chip and putt for 2 weeks, then gradually increase to full shots over the next two and then use a cart for the first few rounds.  Yahoo!!! golf in a month.

Out go the crutches and the boot.  Put away in the dark depths of the basement.  Or maybe we could have a ATR reunion barnfire. I’ll bring the matches, Brendan the beer and Dennis his digital camera.  Bad for the enviornment but just another reason to have a party.  We all need it.

So as you can see I am pretty excited, I know, go slow, and I am but you all know that this day made me smile.  We are all waiting for this visit, the range of emotions from day one has been hard for all of us.  I look forward to all of you having a similar experience soon.

I am ……one day closer to the end

Doc Ross

23 Responses to “7 week Post Op (#4 )”

1. Mike Ron 24 Apr 2008 at 6:49 am

Congrats, Doc. Today is 4 weeks and 1 day post op, and I am supposed to get my cast off for good and into boot this morning.

Truthfully, I am a little scared, as it is going to be weird taking a shower without the protection of the cast.

What is it like when you first have the cast off and into the boot?

How cautious do you have to be when the boot is off? Did you sleep with the boot on?

I am anxious to see what is next for me. I hope to be full weight bearing, as i am 20 - 30 lbs. PWB now.

I too am hoping to be in shoes in three weeks. Only time will tell, but I can easliy move my foot in my cast quite a bit.

Doc, when did you start PT?

2. Tomon 24 Apr 2008 at 7:03 am

That’s great news Ross. Sounds like you’re moving right along. Keep up the good work and you’ll be back to normal before you know it.

3. dennison 24 Apr 2008 at 8:43 am

ross - Congrats! Glad to hear that you are making good progress!

4. Jimon 24 Apr 2008 at 8:53 am

Awesome Ross,

I’m at 7.5 weeks post op and have ditched the boot except for this coming weekend when I have to walk through the airport, I a lot faster with it. I do not yet have full ROM in dorsiflexion, but am close. I find it hard, more mentally than physically, to properly use my calf when walking, but that is getting better. Somehow I am using the muscle in the front of my shin, which makes no sense to me.

Also, does the scar on your heel seem to be stuck to something underneath? I seem to have an adhesion that moves with the tendon at times, causing my skin to pucker a bit, which is a bizarre feeling.

7 weeks seemed like an impossible dream 6 weeks ago, didn’t it? Hang in there everyone.

5. Jimon 24 Apr 2008 at 9:01 am

Mike R

It is a scary step. When I got the cast off my doc told me I didn’t need the boot, and I asked for it due to fear of slipping and having to start all over again. At first I was very careful with the boot off, and I am still very careful, but it’s a lot less like walking on eggshells. I never slept with the boot on, but I slept with a small light on and the boot next to the bed so I couldn’t get up and forget it (or trip on it). I started PT at week 7, but was cleared to start earlier.

6. rosson 24 Apr 2008 at 9:06 am

Mike R & Jim

Thanks for the comments. Going from the cast to the boot is an easy transition, obviously less constricting and allows you to start moving and exercising. Talk with surgeon about taking off the boot and doing some ROM exercises. Start PT asap, most of the PT is passive initially. This means massage, ultrasound, whirlpool, etc. Ask the surgeon about getting into the pool, I truly feel that helped a great deal.
    As for sleeping thats a tough one, everyone on the blog has their own story on that. I waited until week 5 and made sure the boot was close in case nature called. Initally felt funny and scary but within 2-3 days I was fine.

Jim…What your describing is definitely an adhesion. Double check with your MD. If it is try the hot tub, and a deep tissue massage to get it loose. Will hurt pretty good and may leave a bruise but better to do it now than wait. Over the course of the year your body will lay down scar tissue that will thicken and if its attached to the skin may create a separate set of problems later. i.e. rashes, ulceration and discomfort. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all..
    Enjoy the day.

Doc Ross

7. mbargoon 24 Apr 2008 at 11:26 am

D- Ross

Thats great you got me fired up.

I am just about 3 weeks post op. Got the boot week 2 and while the first shower was a little scary it feels so good to do some ROM and be able to wash/air my leg.

I have been doing some PWB just because it feels right. I want to go FWB but not yet.

I just cant believe its been 21/2 weeks on this site just yesterday you told me to hang in there and now I want to Walk FWB.

Keep us updated. 7 weeks and a pair shoes is motivating.

I like the Idea of the ATR reunion camp/hike/ basketball(well maybe not that), frisbee/egg toss/quarterbounce/BBQ tour.

We have something in common. I am one closer as well today!

8. Doc rosson 24 Apr 2008 at 11:49 am

Mbargo..

Thanks for the comment..
    Slow down…it comes faster than you think and at 2 1/2 weeks the tendon is just starting to lay down new fibers…slow and steady til week 5-6.

Brendan perhaps you can add location to the main template page. This way we may be able to visit, meet or pass equipment/supplies to others….just a thought.

Doc Ross

9. johnkon 24 Apr 2008 at 12:14 pm

Doc Ross,

Congrats on “two shoes”

I am looking forward to being able to do this in only 168 hours time !

10. chilidog61on 24 Apr 2008 at 2:19 pm

Congrats Doc Ross !!!

I hope we can all progress as swiftly as you did…

Your “technical” info is quite interesting…

Golf in a month…Sweet !!!

11. brendanon 24 Apr 2008 at 6:43 pm

Ross - congrats on the milestone. I can remember just yesterday, you found this site and had just had the surgery…you are a few days behind me, but a few steps ahead..it’s good to see your protocol is working out. My boot is feeling really good now, and I’m definitely not ready for a shoe, but each morning when I put my bare feet on the floor, it’s feeling better and better. I like your idea of a geography column…if anyone wants to chime in with their locations, I’ll add that in. As a side note on the tracker sheet, is there anyone else who wants to start keeping that up. I know I’ve fallen behind a little in the past week, we’ve got lot’s going on on the home front..so if there is someone else who would like to manage it, I’ll gladly pass the torch :)

12. brendanon 24 Apr 2008 at 6:45 pm

Jim - I’ve been feeling that same adhesion feeling, it’s on the top half of my scar, and where the tendon feels most swollen. Guess I need to be massaging that a bit harder…I just worry about damaging some of the healing that is going on?

13. brendanon 24 Apr 2008 at 7:05 pm

I had a sales guy come through today (I work at a brewery in purchasing)…and he’s wearing a fiber cast with one of sandal looking attachments for walking. Turns out he has achilles issues, no rupture or surgery, but his treatment consists of immobilization for 6-12 weeks. So we are limping around the plant (his right AT, my left)…can you remember when the “limp” walk was in, late 80’s, busting sags in our pants? Alright, if you can remember, you may be getting a visual of us struttin’ around…it was quite a sight! One of our line ops says, “hey, you guys play on the same team?” We couldn’t do anything but laugh at ourselves! He was playing soccer when he injured his, basketball for me.

14. rosson 25 Apr 2008 at 4:00 am

Brendan…

Was the theme from “Saturday Night Fever” playing in the background?? Must have been a sight to see.
    As for worrying about damaging some of the healing with the massage…Don’t…by massaging it you are increasing circulation and allowing the scarring to heal in better alignment…a little discomfort now helps in the long run…

I’m in Manassas, Virginia.

Thanks for the trekking pole information… will look into it.

Hope everyone has a great day.

We are……..one day closer to the end.

Doc Ross

15. kev34on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:30 am

Brendan-
    -I’m in Morristown, Tn…
    -Tuesday the 29th will be day 70 of this hostage seige.. Doctor visit and hopefully will get out of this cast and into PT..will keep you’ll posted…Kev34

16. Kristinon 30 Apr 2008 at 4:38 am

It’s so great to read about your progress and what’s in store for the rest of us as we can’t wait to make it to wear your 2-shoe self is. I have a question about my incision. At 2 weeks post op went to dr and they didn’t cast my leg bec the area is so moist. Instead he left me in my splint with instructions to remove splint for about 30 minutes a day to air the area. While it’s great to air out the incision, once I put the splint on it’s back to being hot and moist again. I don’t see how this is going to work. Any other ideas for trying to heal the moist area? Thx…as always! Hope you have a great day!!!!

17. Doc Rosson 30 Apr 2008 at 6:56 am

Kristin..

Why does the area stay moist?? weather??
    If you’re inside it shouldn’t be.
    Did he say the inscision is closing??
    Is it oozing?? Discolored?? swollen along the incision??
    If the Doc says its not infected than airing it out longer would be ok as long as your NWB and sitting down.
    When is your next appointment??

Sorry for the questions but without seeing it, its hard to diagnose. perhaps a picture?

Doc Ross

18. Kristinon 30 Apr 2008 at 9:31 am

Hey Dr. Ross. Sorry, I don’t have a picture. But, I know the area is a little oozy because in my splint the area keeps leaving faint blood, yellow marks on the dressings. All the dr. said was that it’s so moist…and, the area is moist because with my splint I have a few layers of bandages…so, the leg gets hot, so really moist just from being hot. Good thing is it’s not swollen along the incision, and it doesn’t hurt much either. I know this isn’t that much information. I return to the dr. on Monday.

19. craigon 30 Apr 2008 at 10:00 am

Kristin, your wound sounds similar to how mine was on Monday, slight oozing. I always get nervous with these types of things, but my doctor didn’t seem too concerned. The best part was that he told me the delay in removing my stiches wouldn’t affect anything on the recovery timeline… yeah! I hope the same is true for you.

Craig

20. Doc Rosson 30 Apr 2008 at 11:09 am

Kristin..

sounds like it needs to be aired out more than anything..Would not worry about it too much..
    Should get better day by day…

Doc Ross

21. Kristin Brahmon 30 Apr 2008 at 5:54 pm

Hey there! Stopping by the Dr. in the morning to have them take a look at this oozing that is happening. Just in case they put me on antibiotics. Maybe oozing is normal after staple removal?? But, it’s been since Monday….so, guess better safe than sorry. Until tomorrow Dr. said to pour some peroxide on the wound to clean..I regauzed it, careful not to put tape on the incision…then, I put bandaids all over the inside of the splint where the ooze yuck was…because I thought it couldn’t be good to keep sticking my leg in a split that’s had stuff all inside it. Thanks Craig and Dr. Ross for your 2 cents. This site is THE BEST thing to help with ease of mind and recovery.

22. achilleslife512on 13 Jun 2017 at 7:54 am

One thing I don’t see mentioned here enough is that DR.’s test and design programs typically to the LOWEST POSSIBLE BASELINE. That means they tell you to start walking at 8x weeks, because that is right for someone who is 75+ years old, wasn’t in good shape, etc. I would definitely recommend asking your Dr’s what is appropriate for my age. I personally wanted to take it slow I read too much stuff about people hitting it to aggressive and hurting themselves.

23. achilleslife512on 13 Jun 2017 at 7:55 am

Appropriate for your age/weight class/activity level***