Apr 10 2008

Post Op Visit #3

Published by ross at 4:49 am under Post Op visit

Off and walking…

4/9/08…..At this visit I was met with smiles as I had arranged for a delivery of an “Edible Arrangement” to the surgeon’s office…amazing what some fruit will do….Just my way of saying thank you…..then off to the whirlpool for 5 minutes, ultrasound for 2 and then examined.  Scar looks great, mobility 90% but some swelling around the ankle and tendon.  Was told to start FWB (with the boot on) but for long walks to use the crutch for support.  Due to the amount of swelling I was given a pull up ankle brace with gel cushions in it, which are located on both sides of the tendon.  Advised to keep this on throughout the day and take it off when sleeping.  It made a huge difference as when I took it off last night there was very little swelling around the ankle and I could actually see the tendon.  It almost looked normal…how encouraging.  At this point I am to start light rehab with tubing, start swimming, and to continue with physical modalities and ROM exercises.  No weights, no calf raises or any type of hard muscle contractions.  Will need to wait 2 more weeks before I am out of the boot and able to put on 2 shoes.  I am excited!!!  Next appt 4/23/08

As for work I can start 1/2 days by myself but full days will be tedious.  So hopefully just one more week of having to hire another chiropractor to help me.  Hiking down the Grand Canyon looks more doable as I have 5 1/2 weeks to be walking like a human being.

My routine is as follows:

• Massage 2-3 X week…highly recommended
  • Ultrasound 2 X week
  • Cold Laser 2 X week
  • E-Stim 1 X week
  • ROM daily
  • Hot tub 2X week
  • Swimming  see how it goes
  • Crutches as needed

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this blog as it is great to see what everyone is doing, your stories encourage us all to get better, motivate us to move forward, challenge us physically so we get healthy quicker and can return to the activities we love.  So keep posting.

Brendan….tried to get a picture up but when resizing the picture it would not save it in the new form…any ideas??

Received the video of my surgery….amazing what you can do to your body and how they repair it.  Not sure how to post a video but I would welcome instructions on how if interested in seeing it.

I am………………one day closer to the end!!

Doc Ross

6 Responses to “Post Op Visit #3”

1. brendanon 10 Apr 2008 at 6:38 am

Doc Ross -

Nice update from your appt…I have mine tomorrow. How does the walking feel? How long were you PWB in the boot? My doc has me NWB right now in the boot, but my body/heel has been telling me PWB is OK, so I’ve been doing that with the crutches. I hope to get the green light for FWB tomorrow.

Have you tried to insert just a “thumbnail” or “file” into the post, rather than the full picture? I think this will eliminate the need to resize.

On the video, I use a free service called Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/

You can post 100 MB a week of videos there for free. Of course you could use something more common too, like YouTube or Google Video…I just like the Vimeo service. I’m not sure how long the video is, but you may need to resize and/or compress it so that it doesn’t take days to upload.

If you do get it uploaded to one of those sites, you can just paste the link in your post.

Good idea on the edible arrangements…I’ve had one of those and they are good! I was thinking beer…only because I work at a brewery!

Cheers!

Brendan

2. Tomon 10 Apr 2008 at 6:56 am

Ross - It sounds like you are doing great. Keep chugging along. The days seem to go by faster as you get to FWB. I’m guessing in part because you’re able to get back closer to your normal daily routine. You’ll be back in 2 shoes before you know it!

3. mbargoon 10 Apr 2008 at 9:17 am

Doc- Thanks for the update. It is encouraging for the ones fresh from the table like me. Tomorrow will be 1 week. But as many of you said it gets better. Even in one week. Seeing you and the others talk about walking really helps me focus and prepare for the next steps.

Keep going forward!

4. dennison 10 Apr 2008 at 10:06 am

Ross - Thanks for that great update. Glad that you are making good progress and that the ankle brace is keeping the swelling down. I thought about getting one so that it’s provides a bit of support and my shoe doesn’t rub against my scar too much.

I just had my 3rd PT appointment.

Once you start walking with or without boots, this might be helpful: They showed me a great exercise on the Treadmill.

You stand on the treadmill with the good leg on the side platform where it doesn’t move, and the recovering leg on the moving part of the treadmill. You put only partial weight on the recovering foot and you practice your walking motion.

It’s a good way to retrain your brain the proper walking form. I have to be a little careful since I have a bit of a heel pain when I push off too hard. The heel pain feels similar to what I felt when I had heel bursitis a few years ago. The PT said that it’s okay as long as it’s not a “sharp” pain.

5. Doc rosson 10 Apr 2008 at 11:07 am

Thanks Dennis…will try that tomorrow at the gym..
    Went to the pool today. Stayed in the shallow end just to have a feel of what my body can handle. It was relaxing and noticeable how much better movement you have in the water. Tomorrow I will try and do some laps as well as your treadmill exercise. Keep up the good work.
    Doc Ross

6. Doc rosson 10 Apr 2008 at 11:18 am

Brendan..

PWB for about a week…no pain and felt fine putting full weight on my leg and ankle. No strength at all. He wants me in the boot for 2 weeks, FWB. I thought I was in good shape prior to this happening but really exhausted after a half day walking on it. Starting to have knee discomfort bilaterally so recognizing how much I have been compensating.
    As for the pictures I did not see an option to put up a thumbsize picture. I will play with it over the next few days.
    Brewery work…sounds great…Coors factory??
    Are you back to work fulltime yet??
    Thanks for your comments and help.
    Kudos on your final four win…(all hail the king). Owe you a beer..

Doc Ross