Mar 27 2008

3 Weeks post op visit

Published by ross at 8:05 am under Post Op visit

Off and running….sort of.

Had my 2nd post op visit yesterday.  Took the cast off and received the ‘boot’.  Was amazed at the length of the scar, probably 10 inches long. Will try and get a picture up sometime this weekend.  Was informed that with my rupture the muscle shortened, contracted quite a bit (probably from my intense exercising and huge muscularity..yeah right..LOL) and that it was best to lengthen the gastroc by cutting the aponeurosis surrounding the muscle.  This would help with rehab and future return to sports.  Due to the amount of repair there was still a lot of swelling around the ankle and foot.  I even took off my other shoe and sock so I could compare.  At the office they did some ultrasound and a whirlpool.  The whirlpool primarily to wash off a lot of dead skin.  There was a tightening of the sole of my foot which is the plantar fascia and was told this normal due to the lack of movement.  No pain at all just stiffness.

As for rehab…need to be in the boot and NWB for 2 more weeks.  I can take it off in order to do passive modalities, i.e. ultrasound, laser, massage, ice, e-stim.  I can take showers, get it wet but no weight bearing.  Due to the swelling I need to hold off on swimming, and hot tubs for another week.  There is no chance of infection at this point as the suture is healing well and without openings.  In two weeks I have my followup appointment and barring any complications I can get started with rehab.  As a chiropractor I am fully stocked and even bought some new equipment once I get the go ahead.

Prognosis regarding activity..I should be stable enough for my Grand Canyon week long hike, rafting trip.  That was exciting news.  I and two buddies are leaving mid May for a hike of 9 miles to the river, raft 5 days and helicopter out and then off to Vegas.  So you could imagine my happiness knowing that although weak I should be able to do it.  He informed that PWB/FWB should begin in 2 weeks.  I am shooting to start then in the pool with walking, treading and swimming.

The office has still been a challenge.  If any of you have seen a chiropractor you know that we need our legs to adjust, balance and obviously move about the office.  Our office is busy and I have not been able to adjust and therefore needed to hire another doc for the office.  So for two more weeks I will conitnue to need help.

So that’s my latest.  I am grateful for this site and welcome your comments and questions. Today we’re one day closer to the end.

Doc Ross

9 Responses to “3 Weeks post op visit”

1. brendanon 27 Mar 2008 at 8:32 am

Ross - nice update…sounds like things are going good. I don’t know how you are adjusting patients…I know the effort my chiropractor takes when adjusting my lower back (sciatica)…full force really. The pool sounds good..I’m looking forward to getting in as well. For those that are using a pool and/or planning to use a pool…are you concerned about a slip/fall if you are on crutches? Any tips for getting from locker room to the pool?

2. Tomon 27 Mar 2008 at 9:08 am

Ross - Thanks for sharing the update. Sounds like everything is coming along nicely. I’m anxious to hear how your Grand Canyon trip goes. At ten weeks I was getting around just fine, but walking much more than a half mile did me in. I’m probably able to walk a little bit further this week, but I couldn’t imagine a 9 mile hike. Hopefully your more aggressive rehab allows you to rebuild strength more quickly. The trip sounds like a great incentive.

3. dennison 27 Mar 2008 at 10:31 am

Ross - Thanks for the detailed update. Glad that you’ll be able to go on your Grand Canyon trip. Are you using a travel package? sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun. Glad that everything is fine and there are no complications, and enjoy soaking your foot in the water.

What’s e-stim exactly? Can this be done only at a PT office, or is there something affordable for us to be able to use at home?

4. momon 27 Mar 2008 at 12:24 pm

THE TRIP SOUNDS GREAT DO NOT TELL YOU R HOBBLING BUDDIES THAT YOUR MOM IS GOING WITH YOU TO ATTEND TO YOUR NEEDS HA HA GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE PROGRESSING NICELY

5. Doc rosson 27 Mar 2008 at 3:00 pm

I am also curious about getting around the wet floor at the pool so I am interested to hear info regarding that..
    Grand Canyon was set up by my buddy so all I need to do is say “how Much??”…if you want details let me know and I can ask him.
    E-stim…is electrical muscle stimulation…can help with swelling and then progressed to muscular strengthening..Done by physical therapist..
    I have my surgical report and will post it later tonight..
    Back to patients
    Doc Ross

6. nancyon 27 Mar 2008 at 10:13 pm

good for you to be in the boot
    i love being in my splint, it’s like my life has changed all of a sudden
    i feel more free
    can’t wait to walk though
    lucky guy, 2 weeks to go
    i need to wait 3 weeks
    funny how everyone has a different rehab. plan

what’s the difference between the elect. stimulation and the ultrasound?
    thanks and good luck …we’re going up hill
    nanc

7. Doc rosson 28 Mar 2008 at 7:00 am

Nancy…

The boot is definitely helping my outlook..I will post my surgical report this afternoon so you can compare procedures. Not only does every surgeon do things a little differently, there are so many factors that go into recovery, that in turn effects prognosis and protocols. But we are one day closer to the end.
    Electrical stimualtion addresses inflammation, muscle strength and spasm. Ultrasound deals primarily with increasing circulation to the area. Obviously we can benefit from both. Ask your PT about incorporating as many modalities as possbile, good for you, increased healing, good for them, more billables…LOL..
    Hope that you are doing well. If you have any questions let me know. I am at my office today, hopping on one foot seeing patients, using my roll about going from room to room.

Doc Ross

8. Drewon 28 Mar 2008 at 7:53 am

Doc Ross,

I am at 3 weeks post-op too and am also in the boot. My doctor started me on PWB with both crutches at my 2 week post-op visit. Things are going pretty well (no pain, little swelling, incision looks good). My questions is whether or not you ever get the feeling that the AT is not attached? I haven’t had any accidents that would have caused a re-rupture, but sometimes I feel like it isn’t attached. Is there any way that you can tell that yours is ok? I am supposed to do minor exercises 3x/day (moving the foot up and down about 1 cm out of the boot). I just don’t feel like there is any strength in my AT when I try to move the foot down. If you have any insight, it would be appreciated.

Have a great time on your vacation! Sounds like a blast!

Drew

9. nancyon 29 Mar 2008 at 9:58 am

thanks ross
    about the plantar fascia,is there anything we can do about it?
    or will it come back to ‘normal” when we start walking again?
    and what about that dead skin?
    i use a luffa, put moisturizing cream at night but still,
    my leg shrank to half it size, i only see the bone…it’s pretty ugly