Nov 24 2011

rome24kr

Achilles tendon braces

Posted at 10:29 pm under Uncategorized

I have been looking at various Achilles tendon braces and have found a few that look like they could really be of some benefit coming back from a ATR. I have listed the links below…

Achimed http://www.medi.de/en/patient/products/joint-stabilisation/foot-supports/achimedr.html

Bauerfeind (PRO) http://www.achillesmed.com/AchilloTrainPro/aso-ankle-brace.html

Bauerfeind http://www.achillesmed.com/AchilloTrain/aso-ankle-brace.html

Let me know what y’all think about wearing a brace one you start back jogging and playing sports, and which one would y’all recommend.

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Achilles tendon braces”

1. Stuarton 25 Nov 2011 at 2:28 pm 1

Kevin - I think you may be jumping ahead of yourself a bit. When the time comes for you to start physio you can as the PT for an opinion but I feel that you may not actually need one. Once your tendon has healed and you return to sports it is not likely you will re-rupture that tendon. You are about 5 months away from that at least. Physio will start well before then. I wouldn’t want you to waste your money.

2. bcurron 25 Nov 2011 at 2:29 pm 2

I can’t remember which blog I read it on, but it was mentioned that they were a bit pointless.

My personal feeling is that when you get back into sports you are going to want to be pushing the achilles, but within its limits until you’re back to 100%. Having some form of protection may give you false confidence and could end doing the opposite (in my opinion that is)

3. rome24kron 25 Nov 2011 at 3:23 pm 3

I totally understand where you’re coming from Stuart. I’ve just had a lot of time on my hands and decided to see what Achilles braces are out there. I know when athletes come back from ACL, MCL, or PCL tears, roughly 3 out of 4 wear a knee brace. I’ll check w/my physical therapists about what I should do, but that won’t be until after Christmas.

BCurr I wouldn’t even think about wearing one until I’m cleared to jog, and then cleared to play sports again. Not to disagree w/either of you, but I don’t see how it couldn’t help a person to some degree. Though I could be wrong.

What’s y’alls take on the VACOcast boot that’s advertised on the AchillesBlog.com site???

4. xploraon 25 Nov 2011 at 3:30 pm 4

Kevin - mine (Stuart) was a Donjoy so I can’t comment personally on the Vaco. From all reports they are very good. My boot was easy to put on and take off. No need to worry about pumping. Vaco boots may be a bit lighter. Some boots have a removable foot bed so you can take the dirtly thing off while in bed but that may not be an issue by the time you get to this. You may not have to wear it in bed. Its best to wear a compression sock under them to stop irritation.

5. rome24kron 25 Nov 2011 at 3:45 pm 5

Thanks xplora! I really believe I’m going to get a VACOcast boot come December 30 (my last day being NWB). I like the fact is has a removable sock liner so you can wash it and keep it clean. I have knee high football socks, do you think those would work?

6. xploraon 25 Nov 2011 at 3:58 pm 6

They all come with a washable liner but a Vaco will do you fine. They have a good rep. Your socks should do OK and they will keep your toes warm. Compression socks will help with the swelling and your physio will have some.

7. hosting services in indiaon 24 Apr 2012 at 8:13 am 7

Personally, the post is in fact the most excellent on this impressive topic. I agree with your conclusions and will look further to your future updates.

8. GFE outcall manhattanon 01 Sep 2012 at 3:06 am 8

They all come with a washable eyeliner but a Vaco testament do you fine. They have a good rep. Your socks should do OK and they evidence maintaining your toes warm. Compression socks will help with the aggregation and your physio evidence have some.