So . . . . I had a full rupture of my left achilles tendon.  It’s about midway between the calcaneus (heal bone) and the point where the soleus/gastricnemeus (calf muscles) meet the tendon.

I’m now approaching week 6 post-op and I’m in a lower leg boot (brand name Osseus).  I put about 50 pumps of air after I’m fully strapped in and this seems to have really helped lessen the swelling in my ankle, as well as keep me secure feeling.  I feel like I’m riding my motorcycle or snowboarding or something . . . IRON MAN!!

I was told to start putting 20% weight with crutches, but I find that I can do much more than that if I feel testy.  I am certainly confortable using one crutch opposite the injured leg at this point, but my girlfreind get’s a little pissy with me when I try to be a tough guy . . . So I keep it under control and be nice . . . for now.

My range of motion (ROM) is still pretty limited and I can get to about nuetral position in flexion before I feel any pull in the tendon.  In the other end, I can get some pretty good extension pointing my toes down, but I still have at least 2 inches or so before I can match the good leg.  My calf is pretty mushy feeling and there is some significant atrophy in my already skinny thighs. 

I’ll keep posting as things progress and I look forward to reading your posts as well . . . That’s all for now . . .

4 Responses to “Hello world!”
  1. rich says:

    I just found this site and I really like how it’s set up. I’ve been on a couple other achilles tendons blogs since I injured myself last month and this one has a lot of great info. I particularly like the rehab protocols that are listed on the home page. It gives me a much greater insight into what to expect over the next several months.

    I’m 36 and live in Orange County, CA. I tore my AT playing racquetball on June 8; backpeddled to the center of the court after a serve and as I sprinted forward to hit the return, I thought I got kicked in the back of the leg by my opponent . . . full ATR on my left side . . . and so it begins.

    I had my surgery on June 17, but I would have had it the same day if I could have! The surgery went fine (about an hour outpatient), but the nerve block in my lower leg freaked me out. I wanted so badly to feel and wiggle my toes that I allowed the pain to set in before I got into my percocet. By then I had to double up to be able to get comfortable enough to sleep. After the second day, I wasn’t in any pain at all and discontinued the meds.

    I got a cast on June 20, which stayed on for 2 weeks. The cast was removed on July 7 and I got my stitches taken out. The incision site was nice and clean and very well healed.

    I got a moon boot with two heel blocks following the cast with NWB instructions and orders to do active inversion/eversion & flexion/extension excercises 4X daily at 20 reps per session.

    I was so happy to have the cast off that I really didn’t wear the boot at all around the house since I was on the couch or in bed all day anyway.

    On July 15, I was out by the pool, going to a lounge chair without my boot on and I got off balance on my crutches. I put my bad leg down for a split second and heard a small crack (like a knuckle crack) followed by some strong pain at the tendon. I immediately pulled up on my leg and flopped over to my other side, landing on the lounge chair. I saw a little blood coming from one of the suture scars at the rupture site. I was so pissed and started the whole “if only” reasoning with myself. I did a Thompson test on myself from the kneeling position on the lounge and was happy to see that my toes were moving like they’re supposed to.

    I checked up with the doctor on July 16 and he did a physical eval, which came up negative for a re-repture (no gaps found and strong ROM). Even so, he ordered an MRI so we could know how aggressive future rehab protocol could be for me.

    Three days later, I have some light bruising at the rupture site and some superficial sensitivity, but I am able to continue my excercises (I am now at 50 reps per session) and was instructed to begin 20% weight bearing with crutches.

    Anyway, that’s my story so far . . . It’s certainly encouraging to hear so many other stories and it helps to know that I’m not alone with this crazy injury.

    I hope everyone has a speedy rocovery and is back to being active again soon . . .


  2. tennisjunkie says:

    Welcome to this site, it has been invaluable during the recovery process. Good to hear your miss step was not a major setback. It is just so easy to step wrong, hit something, miss a step on the stairs….

  3. trider23 says:

    I had the same scare as you did. after going from the cast to the boot you get this false sense of freedom and don’t wear the boot all the time. After my fall and intense pain I even put the boot on to go the bathroom. It is definately worth the one minute it takes to put the boot on. Good luck.

  4. Harry Ellis says:

    Hi, welcome your first placement and my first time visit. I always wanna something special which I looking for in this construction. Hopefully you published soon your next arrangement. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash