15 weeks (nearly 4 months) update

May 11, 2013

Well I am walking normally I think now, although it hurts a bit to walk normally after a while. Not the Achilles but the ankle, well front of the foot. I think because it is still a bit swollen. I can’t run yet though. I try and run for the bus and it is a properly embarrassing bizarre mess (I think i have forgotten how )

My main issue is my VERY WEAK calf. Those of you who have just ruptured do what ever you can to minimize the loss of calf muscle (I know easier said than done) because that’s why you will be having months of physio to try and get it back. I can totally understand why it takes people a year to do a single leg calf raise. It is very hard I can only do one underwater.

Anyway I can also swim, go on a bike, walk quite fast, do most things apart from run and do a single leg calf rise. Not much pain at all only when I have been walking for a bit.  I feel normal again really, hoping to get back to kickboxing in August. (hands only - so boxing really)

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

11 Comments Add your own

• 1. ripraproar  |  May 11th, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Hi Rebecca
    Many thanks for your update, sounds in the main your doing good.
    I can swim , and do a series 3x 10 single leg raise under water , water for first ten at shoulder height then the rest at just under Chet height,
    Can’t walk without the limp, think a combination of pain, brain and push off on the bad leg, it’s doing my tree in. I worry about the lack of stretch feels lie ill snap something if I push it, all being said though I’m on hols and when I was here 6 weeks ago I was in a boot so there as been progress, I wish you well in the recovery and back in the ring
    RRR

• 2. rebecca4321  |  May 11th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Thanks. I know the feeling, it is so hard not to limp. I think I might still limp a bit. Yes I am also in very deep water to do single heel rise. Yes sounds like you are doing great and making progress. How many weeks are you since rupture? My physio said to as often as possible do 10 both feet heel rises so I am doing that. Also when I am sitting I do them 2 - anything to activate the calf again. I do single leg ones too but only if I am holding on to something and my heel only comes off the ground a bit and I can only do about 3.

• 3. Ripraproar  |  May 11th, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Hi rebecca
    I’m 11 week just over , this injury is more mind than pain methinks, I’m sure you’ll be back in the ring for August

• 4. kellygirl  |  May 11th, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Sounds like you are doing well. Fingers crossed you will be back to boxing in August. I’m curious how hard it is to balance on the injured leg. I think about that a lot but not for kick boxing–rather for yoga. Thanks and good luck!

• 5. rebecca4321  |  May 12th, 2013 at 10:53 am

Thanks Ripraproar

HI Kelly you will be fine with the balance for Yoga. You just need to practise every day.

Mine is so much better than it was I would say almost back to normal, I just try and stand on one leg several times throughout the day, I can do it a lot longer in trainers.

I wear my asics running trainers all day long. They are nice and roomy for the swelling and asics are the only trainers brand that do gel heels. I also bought some Karrimor trainers as well as Karrimor do gel heals as well and (voted best running shoe or something apparently) but unfortunately they arn’t big enough for my bad foot so I cant wear them - d’oh! I don’t bother with wedges they don’t help me.

• 6. Ripraproar  |  May 12th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi , all I a, trying to sort my blog out honest! In the meantime ill give you my daily pt just whilst on hols
    Walk third of a mile
    Pool regime
    Walk 3 widths
    3x 10 2 foot heel raise chest height pool
    3x 10 single foot heel raise each leg
    4 x 10 knee bends
    4 x15 side side lunge each leg
    3 Minutes swimming ( I don’t like swimming boring )
    Gym regime
    2x 10 mins bike on lowest tension v slow just 8 km each 10 mins
    4x 20 seconds single leg balance in trainers
    Sat heel raise 15 x 3 with a 5 kg weight
    Up and down step bad leg first 4 x15
    3 x 10 two foot heel raise holding wall
    3 x 10 two foot heel raise holding wall with knees bent, bit embarrassing , good job no one in the gym I look like elvis or something I should get arrested for
    Loads of upper body weights and looking in mirror to try and get a damn decent walk , which is thus far eluded me,
    Would welcome any thoughts am I being a bit too wimpy

• 7. atlbilat  |  May 12th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

list looks very familiar!! the bent knee is important for inside calf muscle group, only things i would add is more mini squat/ball on wall squats eveantually and stretching in and out of water, once again bent knee included with stretches:

3x dropped heels from step stretching calf/achilles, min 30 sec ea
    3x same with slight knee bend

stretch the hamstring same, including slight knee bend to get that inside muscle group, you will feel it if sitting flat on floor or table/bed

biggie for me was the towel pull, still do it today and really helps loosen things up(when tight)

i was bilateral, still doing all exercises on your list at 10 mos post op, plus more cardio/walking/eliptical/stairmaster

learn to love the gym!!!! lol

• 8. Ripraproar  |  May 12th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks atlbilat
    Re mini squat ball on wall, can you explain how his is done please

• 9. kellygirl  |  May 12th, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. The barefoot part has me a little worries since I practice sans shoes. Oh well, just have to see how it goes when I get there. Good to hear that you balance is excellent!

• 10. atlbilat  |  May 13th, 2013 at 1:11 am

Ball on Wall is for beginning strength for legs, you use a big bouncy ball and press against wall with back(ball in between you and wall), you are using own body weight to do squats

mini squat is standing upright, feet outside of shoulders and do slight knee bends as if you are doing a full squat, but you only do a slight bend of knees i did these in pool to begin and out of pool, gives you flexibility and easy to do

keep grinding and you’ll get there!!

• 11. Ripraproar  |  May 13th, 2013 at 6:20 am

Many thanks for the explanation
    RRR