12 weeks - still limp and cant go on ball of foot

April 23, 2013

What a miserable injury this is.  Went to new (much better private) physio today who was worried about my total inability to do a calf raise and limp. She said I should go back to the crutches while I learn how to walk properly. I am having hydrotherapy on Saturday. It was good to be shown how to walk properly.

I really need to do my  exercises everyday or I wont get better.  When I first signed up to this site I thought that year marathon widget was a really annoying and silly.  But I am starting to believe it does take a year now.

Anyway moan over I am doing ok, at least I am back at work with an intact achilles. Things could be a lot worse.  I will get back to kickboxing and jogging even if I have to wait a whole year.

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

9 Comments Add your own

• 1. mikejp88  |  April 24th, 2013 at 12:41 am

Well that’s unfortunate. I hate reading those posts because I know what’s coming. At least you’re starting to get out of the red zone for re-rupture. Then you can really start hitting it with the workouts.

• 2. kkirk  |  April 24th, 2013 at 12:47 am

My doc told me that 20% of us never can do a calf raise after 12 months and mine is pretty weak for 27 weeks. The best advice I could give would be to not try to rush your recovery, stay incremental (wish I had done this one a little better), try to walk with as normal gait as possible (even if that means smaller steps and/or assistance with crutches), and stay diligent with your rehab schedule. Remember you are also reaching that part of recovery that some here call the “plataeu” and results seems toi slow down for awhile. Good luck and Happy Healing.

• 3. normofthenorth  |  April 24th, 2013 at 3:06 am

I’d be cautious about “hitting it” soon after 12 weeks. Several of us (including kkirk and I) had setbacks later on in our rehab from overdoing. I lost a MONTH from doing 3 or 4 1-leg heel raises the first day I could. And it was a painful month, too. Don’t Go There!

Sitting around waiting for our injured leg to recover is the wrong approach, but hitting it with “no pain, no gain” is equally wrong, IMHO.

• 4. Ripraproar  |  April 24th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi Rebecca,
    At this moment of my recovery,I’m not bothered about ever doing an heel raise , maybe I will feel different later in my recovery, but there’s a few people including Norm who got back to competitive sport without mastering the lift.
    Rebecca, did you get lots of pain when initially in 2 shoes, I’m finding pain when bad leg lift of the floor even when I dio baby strides,not sure if this is par for the course

• 5. rebecca4321  |  April 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will work hard but not overdo it.
    Ripraproar - Well my limp was so spectacular that I was totally avoiding the whole push off the floor bit of walking with my injured leg. this wasn’t the best move as I am now having to learn how to walk properly again. Now I am sort of doing it more properly I can feel abit of pain but not much, But to honest I never had much pain even when it ruptured and I think I only partially ruptured. Ironically I had pain for months and months BEFORE it ruptured, it was almost a relief when the bloody thing went and I got to put my feel up for a month HAHA

• 6. rebecca4321  |  April 24th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Also if anyone ruptures there achilles and lives in London, dont go to Kingston hospital,(especially if you want an operation) I overheard the surgeons talking and they said they don’t give an operation to anyone! Although saying that it happened that it was the best thing for me not to have op

• 7. Ripraproar  |  April 24th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Rebecca, I wish you all the best, I believe the sun is shinning down south, it’s still grim up north :0)

• 8. ripraproar  |  May 11th, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi Rebecca
    How’s your progress

• 9. bronxbomber35  |  August 6th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I tore both Achilles. One in 2008 and the most recent this past may. I had surgery the first time and opted not to have the surgery this last time because I figured my basketball days were over. I am 13 weeks in and am now walking without the boot. I still have a slight limp but am gradually improving. I appreciate the blogs for making you not feel so lonely and depressed..lol