Oct

4 Weeks, back from doctor

Well I’m at 4 weeks post-op and just came back from the doctor. Doc says that I can transition to FWB over the next few days with the boot on. I’m happy to get this anticipated change but I’m also fearful of a re-rupture.

Also the doc says I can slowly remove the wedges form my boot over the next month - one at a time. No cardio at all for at least 6 weeks, though.

So I came home and started moving around with one crutch putting more weight on my foot. Foot feels mostly good, but I can tell that it’s going to take some time. I also realized that there’s quite a height difference between the leg with my boot and my uninjured leg. This seems like a challenge and may not be as freedom-producing as I originally thought.

On that note, I decided to splurge on the vascocast and the even up for the other foot. I’m hoping that it will make the transition to FWB more enjoyable or, at least, bearable.

So that’s where I am at. My hope is to be able to make it to the gym next week to do some upper body work. I’ve defiantly put on weight since all I do is sit around all day. I am back at work, but I’m sitting most of the time. One thing I am looking forward to is not needing my IWALK to go to the bathroom. That makes it quite the production!

9 Responses to “4 Weeks, back from doctor”

1. 1 kellygirl October 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I felt confident in the boot. As long as it’s secure, I think you are safe. I’d work toward FWB with confidence. The even up should help keep your hips even and prevent any back problems. Make sure that you are walking properly in the boot–pushing your shin against the front of the boot and taking normal strides. Good luck!

2. 2 Pete October 27, 2013 at 11:59 pm

This is about right. My first surgery this happened at 4.5 weeks. I’m 5+ weeks into my second surgery and have 2 lifts on the boot. This one is healing slower though (left foot). Hopefully I can walk by the end of next week.

Usually you will be walking in a boot for around 3 weeks. You will start with 2 heel lifts. I recall removing one halfway between dr appointments. 3 weeks later your doctor will place you in a shoe. 6 weeks seems about right for cardio. After in a shoe, your doctor will send you to PT. Your PT will give you clearance for cardio.

I wouldn’t fear a re rupture. The bigger issue IMO is allowing the tendons to stretch out at the bottom of your foot. That’s why weight bearing maybe sore at first. Also, remember to keep your foot elevated. Hope this helps.

3. 3 Ron October 29, 2013 at 12:00 am

Good luck with the FWB and Vacocast.

With the Vacocast, you may want to invest in a Procare Evenup or something because the wedge sole will raise you hip a lot. The Level-up type devices from amazon, ebay, etc. will even your body a bit and take the pressure off of your hip, back and spine.

Regarding walking with the Vacocast, once you get used to it, the rocker type soles will rock your body and make it easier to walk with 1 crutch, then no crutches. However, once you get to 5 plantar flexion, be sure to change the wedge sole to the rocker sole (so you don’t dorsiflex). DO NOT use the wedge sole at 5 or 0 PF! (Per Ken at OPED). Takes a day or two to get used to.

Good luck,
    Ron

4. 4 reasonsformoving October 29, 2013 at 8:13 am

Ron,

Can you explain a bit further about the angle of the vacocast? right now I have an aircast with two wedges in it. What would that translate into for the vacocast? This week I’m suppose to take a wedge out of my aircast, what would that be for the vacocast?

My vacocast is coming today. I sure hope it’s easy to use.

5. 5 sweetdreamsnyc October 29, 2013 at 9:30 am

Wow the vacocast sound confusing…I was gonna order one but am now worried its too complicated..I have just the top layer of those white foam wedges in my current boot just to give me a bit of lift and have no idea what sole to use or setting to use ..yikes

6. 6 Ron October 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

Hi Reasonsformoving, it’s pretty simple, actually.

If your Plantar Flexion is at 10 or above, use the wedge sole. If it is at .5 or 0, use the rocker sole - because it will allow you to go FWB without Dorsiflexion. You should be a 0 anyway to go to FWB.

However, the great thing about the Vacocast is that when you start your Dorsiflexion with ROM (gait\walking), you can set the FP\DF on the boot to a little or a lot of walking Rom.

Here is a link on how to set the book PF. You can move in increments of .5 in either direction or both directions.

You can set it to 20, .5, 10 or (0-30) PF or up to 15 DF (Dorsiflexion).

Hope that helps. If you need help, please feel free to ask.

Where are you PF wise?
    Ron

7. 7 Ron October 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

If you need to speak to a VACOcast rep, let me know, I can give you Jeremy or Ken’s information. They are great. Ken is the tech guy and you can call him on his cell if you have any setup or functionality questions, etc. I put him through the mill. :-)

They are redesigning their website and want my input because I had to write my own manual and figure some things out on my own. I kept them in the loop.

If you can afford the Vacocast, you will LOVE it. It has no equal to be honest.

Good luck,
    Ron

8. 8 reasonsformoving October 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. I’ve been FWB for 5 days now. The problem is that I have no idea what 2 wedges translates to in terms of Plantar Flexion.

I think the folks at Vasocast would do a great service if they had a video on how to go from an Aircast to their product.

9. 9 hillie October 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Ron “you can set the FP\DF on the boot to a little or a lot of walking” - what does this mean?

Isn’t the ROM simply meant for increase as rehab progresses (and making the progression into 2 shoes easier)? I hadn’t equated it to whether or not you were intending to do a lot of, or a little walking.

rfm - lots more videos on YouTube including how to set up that range of movement and what the numbers mean. Easier than you may think.