Let’s get rid of the crutches… it has been 6 weeks right?

Those were the best words I have heard in a long time. The doc looked at my leg for like 10 seconds and said time to lose the crutches…. I said, “Do you want them?”.

Anyway, easier said than done, the nerve sensations in my heel are pretty tough to overcome right now, so I would say I am sticking with the crutches as much as possible for two days and putting about 75% of my weight on my repaired foot until I can feel comfortable enough to take a half step.

Any suggestions on learning to walk again?

Get to take one heel wedge out in 2 weeks the then other is to be gone in 4 weeks. PT is next once it is approved through my insurance company. I look forward to that I think…

Days 27 through 30 !!!!

Hello again,

First post op visit went great. I was surprised at the lack of swelling once the cast was removed. The Doc said I was healing better than 90% of his previous patients. Stitches were removed and I was place in a fiberglass cast for 12 more days.

Doc said I could go to a boot on the 16th, and I said really, you said I could actually go to a boot? He laughed, then second guessed himself a little after I told him about Disney. But he said as long as I made sure to be careful in the boot……

So I was happy with that news, so much so, that I did not even ask about PWB/FWB timelines. Just darn glad to have an end of the cast day to look forward too.

Disney trip going ahead as planned. I am calling a company today to have an electric scooter delivered to the resort for me. If you try to rent one down there, they are only good for use in each park.  I am 38 and in good shape, just not willing to crutch it all over those parks for 6 days. I will pay the price and use the scooter.

Next post op visit - 12/16…. 9 more days of “castedness”. I am already wanting to cut this blasted thing off. It is like my leg is trapped in a sauna :-).

Let me finish with saying thanks to the folks who have responded. Hang in there, I can honestly say this is getting better and somewhat easier everyday. I can sit at my desk for about an hour at a time with my foot down now, then I need to elevate (more out of habit now than discomfort). Mentally, I am getting back to normal too, I am not a good sick person. I actually feel like my normal self now. Getting into the Christmas spirit and all. Good luck all. Hang in there.

The day of and 26 days in!

Hello, I took the leap of faith and went to play flag football at church after many years of “desk work”. It was a beautiful Saturday and after two or three 20 minute games, I was feeling fine. We took a break for lunch and I made it a point to go back through a decent amount of stretching before the games continued. 15 minutes into the final game of the day, while running half speed I heard the firecracker go off and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I knew what had happened within 30 seconds.
Had my friend drive me to the ER, the PA did the Thompson test and my fears were confirmed. Ruptured left AT.
Went to the Ortho Doc on Monday 11/9, was set for surgery on 11/19. I spent those 12 days in a splint/wrap and on crutches. It was immediately apparent that elevation and ice were a must have.
Surgery day came and was actually a breeze (except for the 2 hour delay and the no food or drink routine). I had a pain block from the knee down, and enough IV meds to make me sleep comfortably. Woke up in recovery, had a cup of coffee and went home with a three sided splint to allow for swelling.
Once the block wore off, I was glad I had “pre” medicated about 3 hours prior. The pain was evident, but controllable. I stayed on the “oxy” for 3 days and knew it was quickly becoming habit forming, so I stopped.
The main thing for the first 10 days or so is elevation. For the past 4 days, I have noticed a dramatic improvement. The pain is almost completely gone (the only issue is the incision area and putting any pressure on it).
I can luckily say I have not had any accidents where pressure has been applied to the injured foot. I have probably been a model patient in most aspects. I have taken an aspirin a day to help with any notions of blood clots.
My family has been incredible (helps that the wife used to be a nurse). I have two boys who are old enough to help out the old man and pick up some of the house duties.
Tomorrow is the first post op visit. I have a slight hope that the doc will not prescribe an “ultra” conservative rehab.
We have had a planned Christmas vacation to Disney which begins on 12/17. I am not looking forward to crutching around those parks for a week. I will probably rent a wheelchair.
Anyway, this is my story so far, I have enjoyed reading the blogs on this site. I think everyone going through this should be pointed to this site by their care provider. If nothing else, it made me feel like I was not alone in my struggle to maintain some sanity.
Hang in there! It does get better each day!

Hello world!

Welcome to AchillesBlog.com.

This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Following link will take you to your blog’s “command center” where you can write your posts:

Be sure to fill out your city, Achilles rupture date, surgery date, etc.. (if you know it) here:
Fill out my Achilles Profile Here

When you do, you can keep track of your recovery progress and see your information on the Marathon Tracker.

Here’s more info: using Achilles Timeline Widget

Please change this post’s title to something more descriptive. Just leaving it as “Hello World” leads people to believe that you haven’t updated your first post!

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask! :)