purple’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Vacoped today….cold toes!!!

Filed under: Uncategorized — purple at 1:37 am on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hi all, had my first follow up today 2.5 weeks post surgery. All is going very well, had my stitches removed (and an almost fainting episode due to some pain on removal as the would had closed over them) and to my delight they have put me into a vacoped. I was hoping for a vacocast….but is there a big difference? It is so much more comfortable than that awful plaster cast!

Only thing is we are in the middle of winter and I can’t get a sock over the end of the vacoped and i have extremely cold toes and I’m not allowed to take it off. Any suggestions to warm up my tootsies??

Also my scar is off to the side, most others I have seen have been right over the Achilles. Do others have the same?

Touch weight near for 2 weeks then PWB for another 2 before my next appointment. One hurdle down! Thank goodness those stitches are out!!

Purple

7 Comments »

Comment by andrewc

July 17, 2013 @ 2:03 am

Hi Purple
Vacoped is the European brand name for Vacocast so they are the same thing.
How about wrapping a warm sock or other warm material around the end of your toes in the boot.
Good luck
Andrew

Comment by bionic

July 17, 2013 @ 4:16 am

Can you get the go ahead from your docs to remove the cast to simply put on a long sock that covers the toes?

I thought most people with boots at this stage are permitted to remove the cast to shower etc.

I was told at day 9 post ATR that I could sleep without the boot as long as i don’t sleepwalk. That may not have been the best advice, but I was also told I could remove it to shower.

Comment by purple

July 17, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Thank you both for your help. Nope I’ve been told not to remove for shower or bed unfortunately. I had thought of a sock but don’t want to get fluff all over my wound. Once it’s healed that may be best option. Maybe just over my toes may be ok.

Thanks for info about the difference btw two boots. I was confused as my nurse said she had put a vaco cast on someone else earlier that day but I was for a vacoped as I needed 20 degree and she said vaco cast couldn’t do that?! Oh well maybe I heard wrong - wouldn’t surprise me ;)

Thanks again

Purple

Comment by Jeremy B.

July 18, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Hi Purple,
OPED make’s a weather cover for your boot which could help provide you some protection from the weather. What country are you located in? I can put you in contact with someone from our company who can assist you. There is also a toe cover for the VACOped (or VACOcast Pro in the USA) liner which could also provide you with the cover and warmth you want.

Contact us at hello@opedusa.com and we should be able to help you. Just mention my name.

Thanks!
Jeremy Bonaventura
Director of Marketing, OPED USA

Comment by skim92

July 18, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

Hi! My scar goes slightly curved to the side too.
It’s still all scabby right now. Does anyone know when I should start rubbing Vitamin E on it? Do I have to wait til all the scabbing falls off?

Anyways I started my blog after I found this site so check out my blog for pictures and updates!

Comment by Jeremy B.

July 18, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Hey Purple,
Reach out to Rainer Diepolder at contact@oped-australia.com.au

He should be able to help you.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Comment by purple

July 18, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

Thank you Jeremy! I will get in contact! Very useful information and don’t feel so silly for asking now!
Thanks again!

Skim, I was wondering the same thing about the vitamin E and I’ve also read/ heard taking Vitamin C can help.
I have just had a look at your blog! It’s great, you have been so honest and I’m feeling the pain, your story sounds similar to mine (though my ATR was a week or so after yours). Thank you for sharing! I feel your frustrations!! The concerns you have raised have been similar to mine. I wish you all the best in your recovery and look forward to more posts!! Oh and my scar is even a bit further to the side than yours, it’s not at the back at all. Just different procedure I think.

Purple

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI