Successful Surgery

I had the surgery on the morning of Tuesday, October 28. I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 am as I was told to, and was called in around 7:15. I met with Dr. Shapiro, his resident, and a few students that would be watching the operation. There was then a quick talk with my anesthesiologist and I was wheeled into the operating room. I remember them putting the mask on to put me to sleep and then woke up in the recovery room. My surgery took about 2 hours.

Photo Oct 28, 8 06 24 AM My foot the morning of surgery.

I was groggy when I woke up and took my time getting my wits about me in the recovery room. The doctor came in and told me that my surgery was successful and they were very happy with how the tendon came back together. After a little while I was awake enough and my parents were brought back. My mom was able to go down to the pharmacy while my dad fetched the car, and soon we were off to their house in NJ for a few days. I live alone, so it would have been impossible to stay in my place without assistance for the days after the surgery.

I felt okay for the rest of the afternoon and evening, but the pain block they gave me seemingly started to wear off as I tried to go to sleep on the night of the surgery. My foot throbbed a little bit and I couldn’t seem to get comfortable. Things were not made easier by having to pee every hour or so. Apparently they put a lot of fluid in me during the surgery.

I took the percocet that was prescribed to me the morning after the surgery. My foot was still throbbing, I was tired and frustrated from not getting much sleep. It helped with the pain and allowed me to fall asleep for a little while, and only made me a little bit groggy. I took two more in the six hour increments that I was prescribed that day as the pain was present, but not terrible.

Photo Oct 28, 2 48 23 PM My very bulky cast after surgery

I didn’t take any more of the percocet after that second day. I had a little bit of discomfort but nothing that the 800 mg ibuprofen they gave me couldn’t handle. By Friday I was feeling okay enough to crutch around the house a little, even sitting outside around my parent’s fire ring for a little while in the evening. My foot would swell and it was a little uncomfortable when I wasn’t elevating it, so I tried not have it down very much.

By Monday I was able to come home to Philadelphia and my house. I was glad to be home and to see my cat, who had been home alone for the week. (Thank you Cindy for stopping by to feed him and hang out! Charlie and I both greatly appreciate it!) Being home alone is a little bit of a pain in the ass, but I’m getting by. I’ve got some routines worked out for fixing food and getting drinks. I carry my messenger bag around a lot to move things between rooms.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash