oscillot’s AchillesBlog

#firefighterninja update 2

09/13/2015 · 9 Comments

Firefighter Ninja Dennis Lappen qualified for the Vegas finals of American Ninja Warrior (video here), but didn’t make the televised broadcast because he fell on the first obstacle. It was still an amazing comeback for at 39 year old who ruptured one year ago. Congrats, Dennis!

Dennis’ surgery center posted a video on YouTube, so I tweeted him a note saying what an inspiration he is for us ATR victims, and he sent back a very nice reply. You’re a class act, Dennis! Best of luck next year!

Categories: Uncategorized

9 responses so far ↓

• ejbvmi // Sep 16th 2015 at 12:12 pm

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. If he can do that, then my cycling and running goals seem completely do-able.

• oscillot // Sep 16th 2015 at 3:21 pm

The man is a freak! Holding myself to that standard is what got me in this mess in the first place.

• Marie Cooper // Oct 26th 2015 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for posting - I didn’t realize he had an ATR. Glad to see it is possible to get back to the activities you did before the injury. Surgery for me in two days; having tendon transfer and am panicked. Feels like it will take forever to get back to normal, but this gives me hope!

• oscillot // Oct 26th 2015 at 7:30 pm

Hang in there, Marie. I haven’t posted in a while, but am back to ~80% less than 6 months after the injury. The surgery and especially recovery are very difficult, but you will come out of this stronger.

• Marie Cooper // Oct 26th 2015 at 7:42 pm

Thanks, that is very encouraging!

• Meg // Oct 29th 2015 at 12:53 am

Marie, I am 22 weeks post op for full ATR. I Hope this gives you some comfort because my husband and I have just come in from 2 weeks sailing around Fraser Island in Queensland, Australia. I used a light ankle brace for the first day but got rid of it as it restricted me too much. I was careful but still my Achilles got a work out and it came through really well. Having said that I could not have done this even a few weeks prior to our holiday, I wasn’t ready physically or confidence wise but now it’s wonderful to feel a sense of some normality after the surgery, NWB, boot, Physio etc. I am sure you will return to your life prior to surgery, every one on this site says this but it’s so true, just be patient and listen to your body. Good healing.

• Stuart // Oct 30th 2015 at 10:22 am

Meg - excellent news and thanks for checking in after the trip. Did you end up being the princess your husband promised or did you have to pull your weight? I think it would be hard to just sit around and watch him do all the work.

• Meg // Oct 31st 2015 at 9:37 pm

Stuart - we had a great time, lots of whales, dolphins, turtles and we even saw a dugong which was amazing. The boat really did my AT good, it made me use it without thinking about it too much which made me feel somewhere near normal, a wonderful experience in itself! I have better movement in the whole joint now too. I was a princess for half a day but as there is a lot to do on a sailing boat my crown fell off and I got back to work.

• Stuart // Nov 1st 2015 at 10:19 am

Excellent Meg. I suspected the rock of the boat would be helpful once you leg was strong enough. We have never seen a dugong but had hoped when we were in the northern Kimberley.