oscillot’s AchillesBlog

request for PT advice

06/23/2015 · 7 Comments

Good news - I finally stood on my own a couple days ago, and am walking with one crutch (instead of needing two) today. It feels amazing to start checking off milestones after so much time without any progress.

Now I’m 6 weeks 5 days post-op, and my OS *finally* sent the order for physical therapy. Unfortunately, all the clinics in my medical group are booked solid for a month, meaning I wouldn’t start PT until week 10. This seems unusually late compared to the protocols I’ve seen.

I am thinking of paying out of pocket with another therapist until the one my insurance covers has availability. For those who are ahead of my timeline, does this sound like a good idea? If so, how often would you recommend going (e.g. 2-3x/wk)? I’m happy to pay for my recovery, but prefer not to be excessive since the cost is $80 per visit.

Categories: Uncategorized

7 responses so far ↓

• eyceman // Jun 23rd 2015 at 12:02 pm

I started physical therapy at 12 weeks with no problems

• oscillot // Jun 23rd 2015 at 12:33 pm

Did it delay your recovery timeline, though? I feel ready to start strengthening, but don’t want to go it alone, and treatment would be nice, too.

• bobfv // Jun 23rd 2015 at 1:19 pm

I started PT at three weeks. If you can get the protocol and/or some instructions, you should be able to do basic AROM, joint mobilization, foot intrinsic strengthening, and scar tissue mobilization at home on your own while you are waiting. I am going 2X week and find that to be about optimal for my schedule.

• eyceman // Jun 23rd 2015 at 1:23 pm

Let me rephrase that, I started PT with an actual therapist at 12 weeks, but began my own therapy at week 6. I followed Brady Brownes youtube videos and what he was doing with therapy. He was a professional football player in Canada so I trusted they had much knowledge in this area. I am happy with my progress to date. I can run, do a weak single leg heel raise and walk without a limp for the most part. I did go non op also.

• vball // Jun 23rd 2015 at 1:25 pm

I am 1 week ahead of you and started PT at 6 weeks 1 day. I’ve had 4 pt sessions as of today and have it twice a week.

the first session was not much. Mostly questioning and measurement (ROM, swelling, etc…).

at week 7 and 8, it will get better quickly so I think pt is good to start then.

• oscillot // Jun 23rd 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thanks, everyone. The PT clinic slotted me in after some cancellations, so my first visit is tomorrow. Can’t wait to start!

• Tech World // Nov 15th 2018 at 2:10 am