My limp is very little now. I worked in a pool 3x/week on my heel lifts, working down from 5 to 4 feet to 3 feet in the last three weeks, and then once down to 2 feet of water.

(thats not me)
My friends didn’t want to practice Pickleball with me, so I slowly played Pickleball instead. Doctor said I could play if I could do 5 heel lifts on dry ground. Today I did it! Right after I had played for a couple of hours.
So now I can officially play Pickleball! I think the doctor didnt realize how Pickleball is not nearly as athletic as tennis, and I still dont chase down any hard shots like I used to. That will come in time.

Still lacking some flexibility and strength. But it seems better after I play.

I think the key is to avoid other injuries and to warm up well, ahead of time. My knee is now weak, I notice, when I warm up. In time.

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. oakmanii on May 30, 2019 2:23 pm

I credit my quick recovery to 1) a simple injury without complications, 2) a small incision type of surgery, 3) generally good health (age 56), 4) NO other injuries during recovery, 5) PT including water therapy 3x a week, getting new PT exercises every week, 6) Not having to stand at a job or walk a lot, so it hardly ever felt like it was overdone or needed icing, 7) maybe my high powered multi-minerals and multi-vitamins that I take (Bodywise).

2. cserpent on May 31, 2019 5:47 pm

I’m glad you’re back at it! It is good to get back to doing everything you used to do before the surgery/injury/… And, yes, the whole leg will be weak initially. I’ve been working specifically on strengthening the surgery leg. I was glad when I could finally use the same amount of weight on the calf machine at the gym for both legs. :)

3. dan914 on June 3, 2019 11:28 am

Hi, I just found your blog. I went as far back as I could go and did not see how you injured your achilles. Was it playing pickleball? That’s how I did mine. First time I ever played.
    Glad to hear you are recovering quickly. Good luck on your continued improvement.

4. dan914 on June 3, 2019 11:31 am

oops, just saw on the page that is how you did it. Were you reaching forward for a low ball in the kitchen? That’s what got me.

5. oakmanii on June 3, 2019 1:20 pm

That’s pretty close! I was lunging forward to get to a short serve, with plenty time to put it away! It put me away! But I’m back.

6. dan914 on June 8, 2019 7:23 pm

glad you are back! I got hurt before I had a chance to fall in love with it, so I’m OK walking away from PB…. my wife loves it. I watch her play. I walk and golf.

Name (required)