My Physical Therapist found out I was not using a cane, but limping badly, so said I should go back to the cane. OK. My limp was bad.

Walking in water was not too bad, I suppose helpful to get a better gait. But I tried a 1/4 heel raise in neck high water and it hurt!

So I will try heel raises from a seated position now at home instead. There is still a LOT of strength to build up!

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. cserpent on April 6, 2019 3:17 pm

And if you are limping take much smaller steps. I initially took tiny steps in order to walk with a fairly normal gait. Focus on good form and not on stride length. As you gain more flexibility and strength your stride will naturally lengthen.

2. Shan on April 6, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi Fred!

I’m about 7 weeks post op and have the okay to begin weaning off the boot. I have to use a crutch otherwise I look ridiculous!

It also hurts more these days because I’m walking more and still need to improve my range of motion. It’s usually okay in the morning but gets sore as the day goes along. Still a big improvement since surgery. Do you have any discomfort?

Shan

3. Fred on April 7, 2019 5:39 am

My biggest discomfort, and sometimes pain, is the back of my heel. I think it is a combination of a bad shoe, which I since upgraded, and perhaps where my tendon attaches to the heel bone(! hope not!) My break was several inches higher, but it seems the next weaker spot of my tendon would be next to the heel bone. Otherwise I feel fine.

I think perhaps I have been over stretching due to length of my strides and full weight. So I am slowing down for a few days.

4. Douglas K Hall on April 7, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Fred….I am 65 as well and mine occurred during my first pickleball game. Geez…and I had just retired. Anyway I had a cast put on Mar 4 and now in boot. Still a lot of swelling and same heel pain you remark about. I hope yours heals expeditiously!

Doug

5. oakmanii on May 8, 2019 6:34 pm

Dont give up on Pickleball. I am back at it almost 3 months to the day later. However, I know I have to stop playing and do practicing instead for the next few weeks, it just seems to risky. In a month I hope to play again. Give the game another chance.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

6. davepo3 on May 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Hey guys,
    Joined this blog after coming across this thread…
    I had a full rupture occur playing pickleball for the first time ever here in venice,fl.
    I’m 61 and now practicing for retirement.

Injured March 5
    Surgery March 21
    PWB May 1
    FWB May 12

Worst part was back pain while limping in boot but that’s all behind me now.

I will step on a pickleball court at least but can’t imagine that happening for several months ,we’ll see…

Good tip about small, good form steps cserpent!

Name (required)