First Day Afterwards

February 7, 2019 | |

We had already prepared for incapaciation at home.

Our first floor has a den, a bathroom and a guest bedroom that my wife and I moved into. She went upstairs all the time to make meals, and get clothing. I just stayed downstairs, mostly, and I used an office chair with wheels to move around. Fortunately I had just put in vinyl plank floors, so I could really scoot around easily.

I got lots of reading done and work on my computer. Yeah, Netflix too!

Crutches were difficult to control, so I’m looking to get an iWalk 2.0 peg leg crutch.

Comments

10 Comments so far

1. Shan on February 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi Fred,

I made it through my surgery without complications! My one complaint was that it was scheduled for 3pm but was delayed until 6 due to my doctor’s other surgeries running late. That said, the wait wasn’t so bad since they gave me a Valium, which kept me relaxed (I was nervous about surgery).

I too started to take pain meds the evening of surgery. I also got a nerve block. Question - were you able to move your toes the next day! I can move them down, but NOT up. Perhaps it’s the nerve block or the way my foot/leg has been cast. What was your experience?

By the way, I bought a knee scooter on Amazon and it’s great (will be easier to use once my knees heal though, they got mat burns when I fell and turned into scabs). The scooter isn’t cheap but it’s easier than crutches and has a basket which is awesome! I think I’ll feel more stable on it than crutches too, when I return to work in th walking boot. I have to park several blocks from my office and walk across transit lines and cobble streets, while carrying a laptop bag, purse, lunch, etc.

Another question, when the nerve block wore off did the pain/discomfort significantly increase?

Hope you’re doing well!

2. Fred on February 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Shan, you are doing great to be on the internet the next day!

I could always move my toes, even day of surgery I think. If you can feel them, that is a good sign. (with my cast I can see four out of five toes.) I think my nerve block didnt wear off for about 36 hours. But I was already on the big pain killer pill, so there really wasnt much change in pain level. It was between a two or three, sometimes four, on a scale to 10. My big problem was 4 days later when the top of my foot was in a lot of pain, and I had the cast taken off and redone (actually ace bandages around a soft but rigid fiberglass structure conformed to the leg/ankle). It seems I sprained my foot. Perhaps by twisting the leg/knee while working on our flooring on my hands and knees. I felt good at the time, but I also couldnt feel much pain when I was doing the twisting. So the doctor told me not to work on the flooring. LOL. Now, with ice and elevation, it is much better, not great, after 10 days. But where my incision was made, I had the mini-incision, I only had a few brief ‘insect bites’ on days two to four, after that, no problem.

Yeah, it is always better to get an earlier surgery in the day, less likely to be delayed.

I hope to get iWalk crutches tomorrow. Regular crutches are dangerous! Your hands are tied up, making it easy for you to tip over.

Your doctor should give you forms to get handicap parking. Yes, we are now classified as handicapped.

3. cserpent on February 14, 2019 5:19 pm

I used a knee scooter too Fred. And if your doc didn’t give you the paperwork for a disabled placard ask him/her for one. Mine was good for 6 months since my doc didn’t want me walking on any inclines for the first 6 months. Your doc may have different requirements but a handicap placard is a big help while you’re NWB and PWB. You will find the knee scooter a challenge if you have to scoot over cobblestones and transit lines. It can get stuck, suddenly, on things, so pay attention. I was scooting up to my house after getting groceries, had a bag in the basket, and one on each handle. Wasn’t paying attention as I lifted it up a step and everything went sideways. I stood on my booted foot so I wouldn’t go sideways too. I was close to the end of the NWB stage so I wasn’t too worried, but you do need to be careful.

4. Shan on February 15, 2019 12:36 am

Thanks for the handicap parking pass tip!

I purchased an all-terrain knee scooter but am petite so was able to get one designed for children and small adults. I think these are less expensive than the regular adult version. I’m hoping it will handle uneven roads a little more smoothly.

It’s been 24 hours since my surgery and the nerve block is wearing off and I can certainly feel the effects. I’ve started to take the full dose of the pain meds, before I was taking a lower dose since the nerve block was still working.

But I feel like the splint is poking into the inside ankle bone - you know that little nub on the inside of your foot? I know it’s also in the same area where my stitches are so maybe that’s what I’m feeling. I’m worried that the splint is positioned right against my bone. Did you experience this?

5. Shan on February 15, 2019 12:43 am

Fred - I can’t believe you were doing floors, lol! Before surgery I had to scoot up and down the stairs on my bottom but it was really hard to get from the ground to a standing position without putting weight on the bad foot. I’m living downstairs now in the guest bedroom so that makes life easier.

Icing - are you just laying ice packs on the splint? Mine is wrapped up in ace bandages so it’s not getting cold very quickly. I’m putting some at the top of my cast and that seems to help. How are you getting part of your leg under the cast cold?

6. oakmanii on February 15, 2019 12:54 am

I didnt have a problem with my splint against my ankle bone. Reducing the swelling will help, but if not, what I did, after 5 days I went back and they replaced the cast as the top of my foot was killing me (probably sprained when flooring). I wasn’t cleaning the floors, but constructing transitions between doorways (drilling, cutting, hammering, actally all light work.) I guess it was a sign that I felt good with the prescription meds.

I got these reuseable ice packs that wrap around, I put it on over the ace bandage, dont want to take that off, which holds the splints in place. It eventually gets cold enough. I go for 30 minutes though, and then it gets too cold. I guess I havent been icing the surgical site very much, and the splint there is pretty thick as you noted.

Just rereading posts, and one said not to lay on your back and rest your injured leg directly on top of pillows, as that puts the weight on the surgical site! Well, I try to turn my leg sideways or get more on my side, but its hard.

7. cserpent on February 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Shan - I guess Kaiser is better at giving all the info needed - LOL! They told me how to ice, when to get the cast checked, how to elevate, … Put the ice behind the knee. It will cool the blood down on the way to the foot. And go have the cast checked and replaced if it is bugging you. Kaiser said to come in for a cast check if I was feeling any serious discomfort. For my right foot I went in every 5 days - LOL! Sometimes it was just because my calf was shrinking so all the padding was getting wadded up. Once the top of my foot was getting irritated from the cast rubbing so they added extra padding there since you don’t want any open sores in the cast. There is no way to know what the problem is so it is best to get it checked. I did lay on my back while elevating (I had to elevate for about 3 weeks!) When elevating let the heel hang over the edge of the pillow (or whatever you’re elevating on) so the incision area isn’t laying directly on the pillow. My incision was along the back of the heel so I had my calf on the pillow with the foot extended beyond the edge of the pillow.

And since you’re taking pain pills - eat a lot of fiber and think about taking Colace or something similar.

8. Shan on February 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks for the pointers everyone! Yesterday was day 2 post surgery and it was rough! Not so much the pain but the nausea and well um, the colace caught up with me. Sorry if that’s TMI. My doctor prescribed me an anti-nausea med which helped and I drank a lot of water. I dislike sleeping all day but I can’t keep my eyes open with the combo of meds.

Is anyone doing activities to keep active? I mean physical workouts that can be accomplished without compromising the injured side.

Thanks again!

9. cserpent on February 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Shan - set up your own blog here :) And if you search for 1 foot workouts (or something like that) on YouTube you’ll find some videos with decent workouts. If you read back through my achilles blog (go back to 2017 when I did my right foot) you’ll find a link to a gal who posted several 1 footed workouts on YouTube.

10. cserpent on February 17, 2019 10:55 pm