11 weeks and super sore ankle

June 30th, 2014

So here I sit at 11 weeks post op ATR and although I am without scooter or boot 100%, I still walk with a extremely noticeable limp and a strangely sore and very bruised ankle bone. My ankle soreness actually hurts with every stretch and motion I make that’s not just a regular stand or sit position. Weird right? My surgeons response was “I didn’t operate on your ankle!” no kidding!!! I was looking for some guidance as to why it’s this tender and bruised. Honestly, it’s making my stretching and PT slightly difficult because of the pain. Now don’t get me wrong I LOVE PT! I’d go everyday if I could afford it ;-> The massage is fabulous and I walk like a pro immediately afterwords, but then it goes away by the time PT is over.

I guess my concern is will I ever walk w/o the limp. My tendon is crazy crazy tight and never really loosens except during that few minutes after the massage. I stretch all the time. I sleep in a flexed brace but yet every morning its still like starting all over and it continues all day! Barefoot is still what my friends call the “infant learning to walk for the first time”walk. And that stresses me too. I can’t walk barefoot around my house due to being so uncomfortable. Wearing shoes just makes it easier but still so a limp.

Not seeing the light yet… :-(

6 Responses to “11 weeks and super sore ankle”

1. tatyana on July 1, 2014 12:24 am

Hi nwebber, I am so sorry about your ankle. I am 11 weeks post op myself and also do walk with a noticeable limp. I guess it is going to persist until we develop some strength in the calf. Bruised ankle is something different and if your OS doesn’t feel responsible for it, maybe you should see your regular PCP and hear his/ her suggestions? Other than that, I feel exactly like you — flying after PT and then gradually losing it. I tell myself that it is probably OK for 11 weeks.

2. vegasjoey on July 1, 2014 1:02 pm

Did you do any stretching before you started pt? I’ve been stretching doing toe raises since I got my boot and my rom has improved greatly. I start pt next week. I don’t have the heel pains like you. Have you seen the doc about it?

3. goldman on July 1, 2014 3:40 pm

hi nwebber, if it helps to compare, I am at 15 weeks and my injured tendon also still feels “crazy tight.” And I still walk with a limp. I too can only walk barefoot for a short while before it bugs me too much. So you are not necessarily out of the norm. Having said that, things are getting better for me. Each day I notice a tiny improvement over the day or two before. So they will get better for you too. After a few days you will suddenly notice an improvement. This will get your hopes up, and then you’ll feel frustrated again when you realize it’s only a small improvement. Two or three weeks will go by and all the tiny improvements will suddenly seem like a decent improvement. Then you’ll be frustrated again when the next day you don’t notice anything new improving and you’ll feel like a setback. Rinse and repeat. Hang in there!

4. Nick on July 2, 2014 8:51 am

Hi nwebber, I’m at 9 weeks post op, and have been out of the boot for a week. Whilst my tendon doesn’t feel crazy tight, I do have pain when I walk along the outside edge of my foot. In many ways it feels like bruising but nothing visible. So it sounds somewhat like yours, in the sense it’s not when the operation was, but there’s definitely pain.
    As I place the foot of my injured leg is does feel like my foot is rolling over to the outside edge. So I’ve been concentrating on trying to place my foot correctly as I walk. Off to see my physio tomorrow to see if she can shed any light on what’s causing the pain. Nick

5. bionic on July 3, 2014 2:29 am

Nwebber my memories are fading as I’m one year post op. However I had ankle issues post ATR surgery. My conclusion is our ankles are not designed to be immobilized that long. All the swelling and inflammation in the general area and add to it immoboization of a joint may cause some issues. I had to sort of ‘unlock’ my ankle during my ATR rehab. I’ve had sprains prior but did not injure during ATR.

I have some recollection of early bruising and tenderness at ankle joint but don’t recall at what stage.

The immobilization and altered mobilizing can affect far beyond injury area as everything is connected. Even after I was back to sprinting a PT helped me with exercises to open hips and it did immediate wonders for my running.

6. Nicolle on July 3, 2014 11:08 pm

Thank everyone for your words. As painful as my ankle is (way more than my ATR) I do know it should be temporary. Knowing some of you have experienced some ankle pain sadly helps me feel somewhat better about my condition. PT has done some extra massaging around the area and even used the u,teasing last week to try and break some of the tissues up. I’ll keep y’all posted. Again Thank you!!!