Dec 10 2011

26 weeks- no surgery, trying electric acupuncture

Published by mtbrider at 1:07 pm under Uncategorized

After putting up for a few months of tendonitis after my ATR I have started to try electric acupuncture. Had my first session yesterday. I usually feel about pain of 4/10 in my heel in the evenings and last night it was about 1/10. Best night in the last 6 months by far! Going back for another session next Friday. Anyone had a crack at this?

7 Responses to “26 weeks- no surgery, trying electric acupuncture”

1. ryanbon 10 Dec 2011 at 4:55 pm

That’s great news MTB. It will be interesting to see if the results are long-lasting. I wonder if it’s causing a physical improvement (maybe relaxing muscles, reducing stress on the injury or something) or acting more through masking/blocking pain… Either way, it’s great that you’re having such a positive reaction with it-

2. normofthenorthon 11 Dec 2011 at 7:31 pm

Needles with little low-current electrodes hooked up to them? I think I had that for a backache once, and my wife had it for RSI/carpal-tunnel. It didn’t hurt me, and it seemed to help her a lot.

3. Stuarton 06 Jan 2012 at 8:23 am

How goes it after another month. Any closer to riding this summer?

4. Garyon 21 Apr 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hey MTBrider, my name is Gary and I live in Welly also, Hataitai. 3 young kids, its all go. Did my ATR windsurfing in Sept 2010, had non op rehab ex Wellington hospital. Hammered it in the gym and PT for 4 mths but no real calf strength, could only do a 30mmm calf raise after 1 yr. Diagnosed healed long. Had achilles shortened 8mm on 12th April by Dr Nigel Willis. Round 2 of recovery begins……

Wondering how you are going, you have gone v quiet?

Cheers Gary

5. normofthenorthon 21 Apr 2012 at 3:57 pm

Gary, do you have a blog of your own? I’m curious about your progress. Your recovery, pre-op, sounds similar to mine — except that I’ve been able to return to running, bicycling, downhill skiing, and competitive volleyball (beach and court) with no noticeable deficit (compared to pre-ATR), despite my wimpy calf strength.

Being 67 y.o. (and having just finished recovering from a heart-valve replacement) may have also made me less keen to have this AT-calf “problem” solved surgically than you.

Did you notice problems walking or running or jumping or cycling or windsurfing, etc.?

I’ve considered seeing my fancy sports-med OS again, and/or doing another biomechanical strength test to quantify my strength deficit, both bent-kneed and straight-kneed. (I think I’m pretty strong bent-kneed, but weak-calved straight-kneed.)

Good luck, good healing, and keep us all posted, please!

6. Garyon 21 Apr 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hey Norm, no blog as too lazy and don’t want to get to wound up about it all (that happened last year when it became clear I was “long”). I’m 51 and, if I’m completely honest, came close to pulling the pin on shortening op as I was indeed functioning fairly well, back into windsurfing again and chasing kids and so on with no real noticable calf defect impacts. However in my heart of hearts I knew it wasn’t right and I’d always regret not trying to fix 100%. Never been a talented runner but my running had a little skip in it, and I knew I had very little “push off” from that calf in any activity. Ultimately I thought some other part of my body would be impacted through the imbalance. The clincher was a photo my wife took a couple of wks ago of my calves from behind when doing a calf raise - horror story. So scheduled the surgery for a time that suited - beginning of our winter. I’m a mate of “bronnys” btw, who you’ll know from her 2010 ATR. She’s right in the midst of a charity bike ride around NZ at the mo so you could say has fully recovered!

This time around, its early days of course but so far so good. Back home day of the op, no pain or swelling. Only slight concern was about 3 calf spasms I had on the first couple of nights after the op, where the calf spontaneously pulled on the tendon and the heel pulled on the other end, I think to combat a foot cramp I get from time to time. No pain so think (hope) stitches are intact - but not cool all the same. Will quiz Nigel when I see him Tuesday to get stitches out. Ah, its never straight forward is it?!

In terms of rehab protocol, I’m well aware of Twaddle, UWO, et al, so will push for an early WB routine as much as is possible.

Cheers

7. normofthenorthon 21 Apr 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thanks, Gary. Say hi to Bronny from me and a bunch of others when you get a chance. I had a few scary calf spasms after my first ATR-and-surgery. No harm done, but scary. I don’t recall any with the second non-op ATR, but . . . memory’s the first to go — and then there’s loss of memory! ;-) Some people have taken anti-spasmodic drugs (like the Robax in back pills) if they and their Docs are really scared.

I’ve never cared for “pure” running, but I haven’t noticed any “skip” in my running pace when I’m darting around the volleyball court (on floor or sand), which I do almost 6 hours a week (in two sessions). As I’ve said in my blog, I’m shocked at how irrelevant my no-1-leg-heel-raise strength deficit is to the rest of my life, especially since that life includes caring a LOT about jumping at a volleyball net and accelerating fast for floor defense, etc. If anybody had told me 2-odd years ago. . . I would never have believed that I’d be delighted with my sports performance with such a whopping deficit at such a simple, common, and “easy” strength test.

Good luck and good healing.