7 weeks post-op: “CRUTCH-FREE!!!”

Hello all.

Took my first crutch-free steps this morning after getting FWB permission from my surgeon yesterday.  Although I only went a very awkward 8 feet, it was as satisfying as a long walk on the beach.  It seemed like only last week that I thought this day would never arrive. Oh yeah, that was last week.

After seeing my surgeon, I began putting some weight on my injured leg while still using both crutches.  I then moved on to, slowly and with the help of the wall, using only one crutch.  After a few minutes of this I was able to get around with only the single crutch.  What a good feeling to be able to carry something in your hand from one room to the next.   I figured that was pretty good for the day and went to bed.  Upon waking I threw on the boot and decided instead of grabbing the crutch and making a big deal( like I’m doing now) out of having to take that first FWB step, I would just try and baby step my way a few feet to the couch.  I made it!!! HOLY SHIT I just walked for the first time in two months!!!

Since this morning I’ve been hobbling around the apartment and then went about 50 yards to the local cafe and back.  So far, so good.  I have discomfort pretty much everywhere except for my AT, which is sort of funny,  but I’ll gladly deal with any of it as long as I feel secure putting weight down on my ankle.

So if all continues to go well, ten more days with heel support in the boot; then ten days in the boot without support; and then two shoes and PT.  If in the meantime the DVT in my calf clears itself up that would be pretty cool too.

I hope this helps anyone in the early weeks of this ATR mess . Stay patient. Eventually those crutches will just be another thing taking up space in the closet.

Good Luck.


3 Responses to “7 weeks post-op: “CRUTCH-FREE!!!””

  1. Great news Mr B.

    Next time you get to that Cafe, have a Cappucino for all us NWBs!


  2. It has been 2 long weeks since I had my surgery and I can honestly say that the sequence of events that immediately followed it, have been interesting to say

    the least. Immediately after the procedure, while I was still in the hospital, I experienced chest pains and had to be monitored closely.

  3. Well done Gregg!

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash