Dec 03 2010

Moostax

Sympathetic Achilles!

Posted at 10:08 am under Uncategorized

OK here’s a strange one…. I think my other Achilies tendon is now in sympathy for my injured one!

For the last two days now I have had an aching pain in my right (uninjured) tendon/ankle.
I can’t work it out because I’m totally NWB and following my surgeons instructions to the letter, “rest, rest, rest” I’m literally only moving to go to the bathroom or to bed.

Has any one else had this symptom? I’m a bit worried I may be doing something wrong and loading up the other tendon in some way preparing that one for rupture.

My next hospital appointment is Dec 17th, do I mention it then or get some attention before then?

Thanks, Mark.

6 responses so far

6 Responses to “Sympathetic Achilles!”

1. liverpoollasson 14 Dec 2010 at 1:16 pm 1

I think sometimes other bits of our bodies get injured during our AT rupture which we don’t notice til a few days later, mine was my knee. I still get some pain from where I fell on it. Give your other leg some recovery time and if it doesn’t improve mention it when you see you doctor. Better to be safe than sorry. Carry on healing.

2. teresa1on 14 Dec 2010 at 2:52 pm 2

No you’re not the only one, though it didn’t happen to me until I was out of the cast and on two feet. I’m not sure whether Its because of all the strain I put on it hopping about when I was NWB, or whether I’m just getting a bit paranoid. Mind you I’m not exactly sporty, it may be worth getting it checked out seeing as you’ve done a lot of sport in the past. At least your mind will be put at rest.

3. Moostaxon 15 Dec 2010 at 4:27 am 3

Hi, Thanks for your comments, It’s good to get feedback like this and does help squash the self doubt and pessimism that can creep into your head on the low days of recovery.
    Looking back I think it could be any of the reasons suggested in addition to the inactivity of the other leg during this initial rest period of post operative recovery, on top of that I did injure this leg some 20 years ago, the chain snapped on my bike and the pedal came round and hit the back of my ankle (ouch that did hurt) so maybe the above factors have contributed to the aggravation of an old injury. I have an appointment with my consultant on Friday and will mention this to him then.
    I will be 5 weeks, 3 days post operative by then; do you think he should be able to offer a prognosis regarding recovery time (I’ve not had one yet)? I am working from home at the moment but need to start planning next year’s “realistic” activities. Reading other peoples blogs I seem to be on a conservative recovery path; I’m NWB with my boot still at maximum deflexion, is this normal?
    Thanks again for the advice.

4. normofthenorthon 15 Dec 2010 at 11:30 am 4

Many feel pain and discomfort in other body parts, Moostax, including our other AT. The good news is that I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anybody actually doing serious damage to their other-side AT (much less rupturing it) while recovering from an ATR.

I believe that every ATR patient should get a detailed protocol (schedule) outlining their recovery plan. If you don’t get one, it’s probably because your team doesn’t have one, and they’re just winging it. In principle, you’d’ think that would be ideal: personalized care, based on direct observation of your actual leg and how it’s healing, right? In practice, it tends to produce a rote repetition of the approach your Doc(s) learned when they were Interns, from a now-retired Doc who didn’t pay much attention to Achilles ruptures in the first place. And if there’s any doubt — and there always is — they always seem to err on the side of SLOW, in the mistaken belief that SLOW=SAFER.

All the studies seem to indicate that FASTER=SAFER, at least up to the speed of the protocols used in the best new studies — like bit.ly/UWOProtocol , my personal fave. At 5 weeks, with our without surgery, you’d be walking crutch-less now, carrying stuff from room to room, and re-educating your leg to the job of being a leg. You can see from bit.ly/UWOStudyPub how well that protocol worked, with and without surgery.

Your stitches presumably caused you some pain and down-time and drug-taking, and some risk of complications. In return, they probably could have bought you some progress, by letting you go even a bit faster than that well-tested protocol. Instead you’re stuck in a time warp, apparently getting the rehab schedule your Dad would have gotten, still NWB after 5 weeks!

The good news is that these old protocols, after surgery, do seem to produce reasonable results, eventually. No better than a good new protocol for sure, but probably not much worse, other than the bloody nuisance and needless disruption to your life. (WithOUT surgery, these old slow protocols actually seem to do significant harm, especially increasing re-rupture risks — and in the name of safety and “conservatism”!! :-( )

But if you can educate your Docs about the benefits of boots over casts, and the benefits of early WB and mobilization and PT, based on the evidence, you’ll not only spare yourself some nuisance at zero or negative risk to your AT, you’ll also be doing a huge favour to the next few hundred ATR patients that roll through Liverpool.

Good luck!

5. iski7bon 19 Dec 2010 at 4:51 am 5

I’ve been getting “sympathy pains”, too. It’s funny, because that’s how I was thinking about it, myself, wondering if I was crazy, and then I saw your post and it made me feel better.
    I’m guessing it just must be “one of those things” and am trying not to dwell on it or worry, but like you, it’s been in my thoughts and mildly worrisome, ’till recently when I finally decided to just “let it go”.
    Please post whether your Doc. had anything to say on the matter…if you asked. Positive thoughts, my friend!

6. Moostaxon 21 Dec 2010 at 5:47 am 6

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
    Yes I feel the same as you, it’s good to know that it’s not only me with this issue. I talked to the doctor about the situation and it could be because in my case of the complete inactivity for 6 weeks of the other AT has become “stiff”. On a positive note though I am now PWB and the increased mobility has now reduced the pain in the other AT. It looks like it just needed to be used. Hopefully this will apply to your condition as well.
    Take care, Keep healing.
    Mark

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.